Convert MyMaps.google.com to GPS files into BaseCamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!
punk.gif

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does it the Candy Butt Way, including use of the ancient GPS Visulaizer.com website. (Discovered it while trying to draw hiking routes on topo maps for my backpacking adventures.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, reconvert to GPX and save and rename the third file, then recalculate. Then rename and resave the recalculated file...

Feck me Garmin. Why u do me like dat?

But definitely thanks Don. Useful video to those dwindling few committed to Garmin.

I am nearly GPS/Garmin/Basecamp illiterate. I could effectively use Tyre and TomTom and could sometimes even get a GPX file to come out of Tyre and have someone load it into their Garmin unit and get a similar track/route to what I had in my TomTom from the same points.

On one of the BMW forums I noted this comment, I thought it might be useful here.

"Garmin effectively stopped BaseCamp development in 2016, with version 4.6.2 , leaving a few small but survivable bugs.
Then in 2018 they released 4.6.3 , in which they broke all the external links, including Google Earth, as a quick and dirty way to comply with European privacy law. That was a sure sign of the end.

4.6.2 continues to work (ignoring the "upgrade" offers.) I suggest that users achieve the installer for that version.

You can export the entire "my collection" as a single GPX file if you need to. To move data between BaseCamp installations, the Garmin Database.GDB format is more accurate."

I'm not smart like Carter, i envy his skills at all this techie shit. Hope this helps someone.

Ciao

Since Basecamp will import a .KMZ/KML file directly, why use another bit of sware? (GPSVisualizer)

What am I missing?

Thx

-Steve

Since Basecamp will import a .KMZ/KML file directly, why use another bit of sware? (GPSVisualizer)What am I missing?

Thx

-Steve
If indeed Bascamp can directly import KMZ/KML, there is no need for GPS Visualizer. I gave up on Basecamp after several days of struggling, even trying to use Easy Ed's tutorial, so I have no idea what it can import.

BigJohnSD quotes from BMW (who knows if they're accurate?
coolsmiley02.gif
) that Garmin broke the links with Google, so I presume that means no more direct import of KMZ/KML.

I could not find method to import .kmz directly into BC 4.2.4.

If you have solution, please post, I'd love to see it.

Because, if possible, the GpsVisualizer option is not needed.

Thanks!

Don

Gents

Thx for the replies.

BC 4.2.4 is how old?

There has been a lot of fixes to current version, 4.7.0, which is what I am using now. (Windows)

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

or could 4.2.4 be the current Mac version?

I know .kmz/l import has worked since 2016.(Windows)

for Windows BC 4.7.0, import is native -

Bw65dr.jpg

For those following along, I would add:

As DC says, rename the import under My Collection (in BC), then again after you convert the track to a route. Keep the names short. This will improve readability in BC and on your Garmin screen.

Uncle Hud, you only use BC to convert the .kmz/l file to something that your Garmin will like. (.kmz/l to Track, Track to Route) Just as in the Carver video. Don't give up on it, just don't use it to create anything!

To anyone struggling with the idea of building routes for their Garmin, this process (Google MyMaps to Basecamp to Garmin) is easy to do. Try it, you will like it. And all the s'ware is free. (well you have to have the Maps from Garmin, but you pd for them already)

-Steve

Steve is absolutely correct! .kmz files can be directly imported into BC. Don't know why I thought they couldn't...