1981 Honda CBX SuperSport followed me home...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 1981 HondaSuperSport. I'm now the the 3rd owner, 10,930 miles. It arrived with a Corbin seat and pillion back rest, the original seat, original wind screen, factory service manual, and a bunch of other stuff. Best yet, it was bought locally from a guy I've known for a couple of years who rides with us regularly.

If it's true that you can judge a bike based upon where it lives, I will have no problems. The man's shop, house, vehicles are ALL in *excellent* condition.

Gary has owned the bike for 18 years. He bought it from a friend, and former dealer, who didn't have the heart to donate the bike to trade school for practice on by young technicians. He saved the bike.

Turns out CBX's were made from 79 to 82. And Honda could not give the damn things away, which is why Honda corp was donating them to for the tax write-off.

I was seriously debating the purchase. Let's say I paid a damn good price for the bike, arguably a bit too much. I reached out to some of my very long-term and best trusted moto buddies for advice.

The advice from a fella named Mark was best.

Mark wrote the following -

Ok...here's my philosophy. I'm retired. I worked hard for a long time to be able to retire. I can see the sand running out of the hourglass. I want to make ME happy. Buy it. If you don't like it, you can always get your money back ...or most of it. Go for the Gusto. Grab for the brass ring. Live like there's no tomorrow.... there may not be. Your tomorrows are not as numerous as your yesterdays.
Which I have translated to my new life motto -

I can see the sand running out of the hourglass. I want to make ME happy. Go for the Gusto. Grab for the brass ring. Live like there's no tomorrow.... there may not be.
Your tomorrows are not as numerous as your yesterdays.
With out further ado, here's a 1 minute video of my new to me kid!

https://vimeo.com/311321985

I hate you. Was just looking at that same year bike for sale on the Honda cb/cbx facebook page in the midwest for $6k. I have always loved that sound.

That is awesome! Those things are just drop dead sexy in my book. Congrats on the find and purchase.

Long, LONG, time ago I heard one of those howl, do not know what kind of exhaust it had, cannot describe the sound but I never forgot it.

I loved the bike and these pipes.

D142618.jpg

I sold two of them. One was wreaked and totaled almost instantly. The other is still owned by the original in Malta, Montana. Or at least was a few years ago.

D142618.jpg

I sold two of them. One was wreaked and totaled almost instantly. The other is still owned by the original in Malta, Montana. Or at least was a few years ago.
While I would like to after market the exhaust, this one is just to 'original'.

Guess I'll have to buy a 79, neked bike and pipe it! :whistle:

D142618.jpg

What a great picture. Absolutely right in the comments as I also think the headers are perfect.

Congrats on this new purchase.

Your story brings back memories. It was the fall of 1978. I was itching for a new bike and it was time to step up from my 500cc 2 stroke. There were three bikes in my sights: the Yamaha XS1100, the Suzuki GS1000, and the Honda CBX1000. I read everything I could get my hands on, then went to the dealership, sat on them, talked to the salespeople, and thought about it some more. I don't remember all the details, I'm thinking that maybe one of them wasn't available and I'd have to wait a month or two... but it's been a very long time and the old memory is foggy. If I'm not mistaken, the Suzuki was the cheapest of the three, and that's what made the decision for me. However, I wish I'd known then what I know now. I'd have paid a couple hundred more and gotten the Honda. Turns out the big Zook was a great bike and I certainly don't regret buying it. But little did I know that the Honda was destined to be a collector's dream come true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful bike and I'm happy to say I've ridden that model a few times and even done a valve adjust + tune on one.....(shims are OVER the buckets like all the Honda DOHC CB750/900/1100's of that era).

That's because 35 yrs ago I was a young man working in a Honda-Yamaha shop learning about fix'n bikes... oil changes, tune-ups, tire changes, pre-Deliv setup and test rides of new bikes (I rode everything!).

Good times and the CBX was definitely one of the more interesting bikes we'd see occasionaly.

Congrats on the new ride!

Regards,

Mr. BR

The only regret youd have is not buying it. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the bike and rack up the miles. The world doesnt need more trailer queens.

Good job Don. The CBX is my second favorite engine to look at right behind a Vincent. If you buy one of those I will steal it. Ride the wheels off that Honda.

Love the CBX, still waiting for someone to run one in the IronButt rally again.

Ross Copas tried it years ago and cooked it.

Canadian FJR