5 speed vs 6 speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman55

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm thinking about buying a new '15A. What is the opinion on the 5 speed vs 6 speed? Is the 6 better? I can get a good deal on a left over '15. No '19 s around here.

I have a 2013 with a five speed and have not found myself wishing I had another gear...., but what could it hurt? If they made a hash of the gear ratios, then the six speed would be something to be avoided, but there haven't been any complaints about the six speed that I have.

Don't know. However, I know that on my old POS Gen II that the redline is 9,500 rpm, and at 5,000 rpm, in 5th gear, I'm at an indicated 95 miles per hour. Gear ratios or not, in my case, I don't think I'm missing much. If the deal is right, go for the 2015.

Both are fine. But whatever one you get you will wish you had the other.

We're humans. Grass is always greener.

I love my 5 speed. My buddy loves his 6 speed.

Both great bikes.

Above posts are all correct. You can't really go wrong.

On-line Cycle World 2016 review excerpt:

[...T]he FJR is now 15 years old, which makes it something of a senior citizen in motorcycle terms. So maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that it underwent major surgery. The biggest news is the addition of a sixth speed in the gearbox. That’s more complicated than it sounds, however, as to fit inside the existing engine cases the transmission had to be completely redesigned. Thus the gears are now helical instead of straight-cut, and rather than having dogs machined on the back of each gear there are separate dog gears in between. There’s a joke about dog years there somewhere…The engineers didn’t just add an extra gear, either. First and second were made taller, while fourth and fifth were made shorter; only the third gear ratio remains the same. Sixth is a very tall overdrive that Yamaha claims equates to a 10 percent reduction in rpm at cruising speeds.
There's an argument for the 6-speed tranny. Which isn't to say a 5-speed is trash and should be ignored.

Also new is an Assist & Slipper clutch, which uses mechanical clamping force to help pull the plates together under acceleration and the opposite under decel. This allowed the previous single diaphragm spring to be replaced by three coil springs, which is said to reduce lever pull by 20 percent. Moreover, the Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) automatically raises the engine revs by some 200 rpm when the clutch lever is released at a standstill, easing engagement.
A few people have retro-fitted the clutch to pre-16 models. Which suggests it has some value for even 5-speed versions.

I have a '17 and am quite happy to see the motor loafing along at the bottom of most highway speeds. However, a roll-on from there is immediately quite ...um... spirited.

As always, ride your own ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from an '04 to a '15 leftover. Not having the sixth gear was never an issue for me. To the contrary I saw it as a way to get a better deal on the '15. If anything I'd suggest putting your thoughts towards an A vs an ES.

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about buying a new '15A. What is the opinion on the 5 speed vs 6 speed? Is the 6 better? I can get a good deal on a left over '15. No '19 s around here.
The real question, where do they have leftover 15As? Are there more beyond the one you're looking at?

I'd love a 6 sp, but never had or ridden one, so ignorance is bliss as they say, and my 5 sp has been great for me for 115K+ miles so far.

As others have said I had an 06 and never found that I "needed" a 6th gear. Last year I got a left over 16 and have to say that the 6th gear is very nice to have. I would also agree that if you looking for a new bike deciding if you want an A or ES is a bigger decision. I went with the A because it was a deal I couldn't pass on but from everything I have read the ES has some great features.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 15A suits me just fine with its lowly 5-speed gearbox. Gotta say...if a new(er) FJR with a 6-speed came along, I would not throw it out. New transmission sure shifts nice too!

~G

Never ridden the 6-speed version, so I can't tell you about it.

What I can say is my 5-speed goes way faster than ever necessary. The gear ratio spacing in the 5-speed is also such that my signature line is a lie: you can exceed 60 mph in second gear, which is enough to get you in trouble in many places.

Maybe that extra gear gets me a smidge better gas mileage at freeway speeds, but you should factor in the extra shifts and how they'll prematurely wear out your left ankle and the leather on the top of your left boot.

Of course, all that's moot with a A model.

Couple of comments. Firstly, I find I am more likely to drop a gear (6th to 5th) when overtaking than I was in earlier Gens, there is a noticeable torque difference in top gear (no problem for me, I am the lucky rider of the YCC-S version stilll available here). Secondly, if you go out at night, the LED lights are a huge improvement. They presumably make you more visible in daylight as well.

It's not so much that you need six gears - it's the lower RPM in top gear that makes the 2016+ better IMO. I would actually love five gears only on my 2016 ES, but not at the expense of higher RPMs at cruising speed. 2016+ will give you less vibrations, a better fuel economy, and a very nice clutch - as well as some of the other goodies mentioned in other comments above, depending on whether you go ES, A, or whatever. Happy hunting

Are you currently riding a 2015A as shown on your profile? If yes and you would like to get the advantage of a 6th speed without buying a later model have the final drive modified with Star Venture internals. That will give you approximately the same gear ratio in 5th as the 6th speed. If you want to set it up for ultimate ratios, use a 190/55 rear tire. That will put the speedo dead on with gps.

Having an '06 and a '16 I have to say they both are great. I really like the 6th gear when munching miles on the interstate but you do have to shift more in the tight stuff.

Ultimately, I prefer the '16 with its slipper clutch, cruise, electronic suspension.

I could get behind that evaluation. So, for me, it would be the 16 over older models because of the slipper clutch, cruise control, and more. The 6 speed would be sort of a meh... it's included issue.

Hi Guys. Thanks for your input. I traded my 15 FJR for a Goldwing DCT. Great bike, but I am missing the feel of shifting, and the ability to remove the bags, There is only one '15 in my area that I know of. If I pass on it or go for one newer, I will tell all.