Sliders & Cages for 1300 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking into sliders and cages for my 1300-ES. My goal is to reduce the nicks and dings from low speed falls (Zeb tends to like to take naps in parking spaces, gas stations, etc
smile.png
). But I'd prefer not to increase the chance of flipping or rolling if I someday have a higher speed crash.

Suggestions? I see that Yamaha sells a slider accessory for around $300+, but there are others available at around half that. I also see that some people install both cages and sliders on the cage.

Thanx in advance!

T-Rex, and MC Enterprises. Check them both out.

-Steve

Added Jan 26

I should have mentioned that I installed the MC Ent bag guards, and the T-Rex frt cages.

I didnt like the look of the T-Rex bag guards, and I dont mind the two different tubing sizes.

Didnt purchase with the frt axle sliders. My real life research on tip overs makes me wonder about their value.

Final tip - when everything is installed, paint the exposed nuts and bolt ends with clear nail polish. This will preserve the chrome and limit rust formation. My first set of MC Ent hardware was rusty in about 5 months, they generously sent me a second set and the nail polish trick has worked for me in the past. (& worked in this instance as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed T-Rex guards on my FJR last week. The instructions are a bit cryptic at first glance but once you get started, they make sense. T-Rex could use a better quality printer for their instructions but it's readable. More photos and better image-quality would help.

You'll need the factory torque specs - I have the Yamaha FJR shop manual. I used blue thread-locker on the bolts and thus reduced the torque values by 15%. For the rear-engine mount, Yamaha originally secured this with a long bolt and a nut. T-Rex needed to provide a longer fastener for this mount to accommodate the width of their engine brackets. I am disappointed that they provided a threaded rod rather than an actual bolt for this mount. This makes it difficult to get the two nylock nuts on either side of the rod threaded on equally. I will try to source a new bolt of the appropriate length. Perhaps a bolt of that type is not readily available and would explain why T-Rex used the threaded rod.

In addition to the Engine and Pannier guards, this kit included fork sliders. The instructions tell you that after removing the left-side axle nut, to simply slide the rod through the front axle tube. What they don't tell you is that Yamaha has a solid rubber plug inserted from the right side. You need to push this plug out before you can install the slider bolt. After a bit of internet searching to figure out what I was dealing with, I used the slider rod with both screws loosely installed in the ends as a push rod and then used a rubber mallet to hammer the plug out. It takes a significant beating to get it out.

The installation took about 4 hours, but I was being cautious. I think I could do it again in about an hour or so.

I am happy with the quality of the product. It is beefy and heavy. The welding and finish are first-rate.

Here's a few photos of them installed:

20190126-111600.jpg
20190126-111758.jpg
20190126-111739.jpg
20190126-111635.jpg

I have the Canyon Cages front and rear, along with Garaud's sliders on my 13A. After one zero speed and one low speed drop I can say that they saved me a lot of pain and money. Only damage was a few minor scratches on one mirror, a couple of scrapes on the cages and a little scraping on the slider. The cages were easily touched up with rattle can black paint. I lightly sanded the slider scrape and used a marker to hide the damage. The mirror scratches a hard to see. I actually bought a replacement mirror but haven't bothered installing it.

Canyon cage rear protectors are a little better designed to give the passenger more room. They are closer to the bags and don't seem to push the passengers feet forward.

Those look better than I thought they would. I just installed the Canyon Cager Front on my 18', they were out of the rear bag set. Gonna have to get the Trex for the rear.

Good clean installation.

A common setup is to install Canyon Cages. I offer slider kits made specifically to work with the CC cages. There are photos of this setup on the forum and web.

Anybody got a link to said photos, or to more information?

The footpegs in the photos are Rivco anti-vibe pegs attached to older style Kuryakyn clamps. Note that the Rivco pegs use 3/8" bolts - be sure to get clamps that also have 3/8" holes.

I had a look at the website but didn't see prices. For a Canyon Cage and Side Bag Bars what am I looking at?

Thanks

I just bought R-Gaza engine guards and matching saddlebag guards for my 2012. I really liked the T-rex engine guards but according to any listing I saw, they are only for 2013-2018.

The downside is that they ship from Russia. So it may be almost a month before they get here...