2008 AE Shift Light Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GENAE

Reaction score
My new to me 2008 AE will stay in gear and will not change,every now and then and the SHIFT light come ON. YCC-S is disabled when SHIFT light is on so I followed owners manual and got it back in neutral turned key off/on reset PCM and all is good again. I read that in 2008 there was a re=call for this issue but can't find any info for the fix.

Anyone with a 2008 AE have any info for this issue would be a BIG HELP.

Thanks

Louis

Had an issue on my 2014 where it would occasionally refuse to change gear, posted about here. Finally cured by the dealer re-learning gear-change positioning sensor. There was a fault code recorded, have you checked for any stored fault code?

Had an issue on my 2014 where it would occasionally refuse to change gear, posted about here. Finally cured by the dealer re-learning gear-change positioning sensor. There was a fault code recorded, have you checked for any stored fault code?
No have not learned how yet. Service manual is on the way. I read about someone jumping a pin to access codes for ABS, so not sure. I posted on a different thread and member has posted a list of things to look at, Super Helpful going to go down his list as he too asked about DIAG fault codes so I just asked him like I am asking you :) how to access these codes.

No have not learned how yet. Service manual is on the way. I read about someone jumping a pin to access codes for ABS, so not sure. I posted on a different thread and member has posted a list of things to look at, Super Helpful going to go down his list as he too asked about DIAG fault codes so I just asked him like I am asking you :) how to access these codes.
Quoted from the manual:

DIAGNOSTIC MODE

Setting the diagnostic mode

1. Turn the main switch to "OFF"

2. Remove the front cowling left inner panel to access the YCC-S test coupler "1"

3. Remove the protective cap from the YCC-S test coupler.

4. Connect the test coupler adaptor to the YCC-S test coupler.

5. Push and hold the hand shift select button, turn the main switch to "ON", and continue to push the button for 8 seconds or more.

NOTE

- All displays on the meter disappear except the odometer/tripmeter/fuel reserve tripmeter displays.

- "Sh__61" appears in the odometer/tripmeter/fuel reserve tripmeter LCD.

6. Select the diagnostic code number corresponding to the fault code number by pushing the hand shift select button and operating the brake lever (or brake pedal) simultaneously.

7. Turn the main switch to "OFF" to cancel the diagnostic mode.

The test coupler is a black connector. It should have a protective cover over it. It is a 4-way connector, but only two have wires going to them, the wire colours are black and blue with a yellow tracer. The "test coupler adaptor" simply connects those wires together, all you need to do is push the ends of a bare wire into each connection. (I'd hoped I could find a picture, but can't locate one [my regular readers will be somewhat aghast at this revelation].)

When the "Sh__61" appears, If fault codes are stored in the malfunction history, the hand shift select indicator light will come on. Then, after 6 seconds, it displays each fault code number that is stored in the malfunction history. If more than one code number is detected, the display alternates every two seconds to show all the detected code numbers. When all of the code numbers have been shown, the display repeats the same process.

Quoted from the manual:

DIAGNOSTIC MODE

2. Remove the front cowling left inner panel to access the YCC-S test coupler "1"

5. Push and hold the hand shift select button, turn the main switch to "ON", and continue to push the button for 8 seconds or more.

NOTE

- All displays on the meter disappear except the odometer/tripmeter/fuel reserve tripmeter displays.

6. Select the diagnostic code number corresponding to the fault code number by pushing the hand shift select button and operating the brake lever (or brake pedal) simultaneously.

The test coupler is a black connector. It should have a protective cover over it. It is a 4-way connector, but only two have wires going to them, the wire colours are black and blue with a yellow tracer. The "test coupler adaptor" simply connects those wires together, all you need to do is push the ends of a bare wire into each connection. (I'd hoped I could find a picture, but can't locate one [my regular readers will be somewhat aghast at this revelation].)

When the "Sh__61" appears, If fault codes are stored in the malfunction history, the hand shift select indicator light will come on. Then, after 6 seconds, it displays each fault code number that is stored in the malfunction history. If more than one code number is detected, the display alternates every two seconds to show all the detected code numbers. When all of the code numbers have been shown, the display repeats the same process.
Thank You we will do this tomorrow. I road all day today NO issues. But I have learned how to be SMOOTH shifting UP/DOWN now. Lets hope NO codes and after we check all the linkage and re-bleed clutch master cylinder etc I am good. I REALLY enjoyed the AE in traffic today my left hand is NOT sore tonight.

Also, check your brake pedal (right foot). Lube it. These tend to get sticky over time and cause the brake pedal to stick, so the brake light stays on. This confuses the YCCS and will cause an error because the computer thinks, why does this guy want to accelerate when the brake is on?

Also, check your brake pedal (right foot). Lube it. These tend to get sticky over time and cause the brake pedal to stick, so the brake light stays on. This confuses the YCCS and will cause an error because the computer thinks, why does this guy want to accelerate when the brake is on?
Thanks Steve I will lube it, it's been too cold in my friends shop so we have not accessed the YCC-S connection to check the codes for it yet. Before the cold front hit we rode it another 300 miles in traffic and Hiway and now that I know how the AE shifts no SHIFT light.

UPDATE we accessed the YCC-S connector and jumped the pins most of the codes had to do with a dead battery (bike sat for 3 years) I have a list at the my friends shop. None of the codes had to do with any of the YCC-S clutch actuator etc. Cleared them and rode it some NO LIGHT. We checked ALL the things that have been posted ( HUGE THANKS) to adjust or clean/lube as NOT to throw ON the SHIFT code on a Gen II AE.

Next he is going to adjust when and how long does the clutch engage and dis-engage with 21 settings IIRC. Will post up tomorrow when I have the list with codes and a list from another section, getting better with DIAG.

Louis

Quoted from the manual:

DIAGNOSTIC MODE

NOTE

TODAY we went thru the DIAG for the YCC-S and cleared code 45 ...... Gear Position Has NOT changed by actuator.

We checked everything in the book and everyone's items to look at. Drove it all afternoon works PERFECT.

We jumped the pins again after riding t and NO CODES.

My guess it was ME ......... NOT waiting on the trans to shift. DO NOT tap on the lever more then ONE time and BACK OFF the throttle when shifting UP/DOWN and so far 400 miles of NO locking up the trans in 3 etc and SHIFT light come on and disengages the YCC-S.

SO We went father into YCC-S DIAG to Diagnostic Code SH__66 to Adjust the clutch engagement position.

When we tried to WRITE changes to EE-PROM The shift actuator button was suppose to come on for 2 SECONDS AFTER you PUSH

the Hand Shift Button FOR 0.3 seconds ........... WTF..... 1/3 of a SECOND.

So after many times of trying this and the light would not come on to write. My friend tried 3 SECONDS and it WORKED. SECTION 8- Page 179 bottom of Checking Method in Service Manual is a MIS PRINT GRRRR 0.3 SECOND .............. should be 3 SECONDS.

I rode around today with the Service manual in the trunk with a DIY jumper and long needle nose in case I wanted to change the clutch engagement RPM UP/DOWN.

THANKS TO ALL THAT POSTED ............Now my AE is a pleasure to drive in traffic now, smooth starts and NO clutch lever,as my arthritis hurts for days in my left hand if I get caught in stop/go traffic. Looking forward to spring and riding up to the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas from Texas again.

Louis