My Motorcycle Accident

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Senator Smith: “What time did you leave the ship?”

Second Officer Lightoller: “I didn’t leave it.”

Senator Smith: “Did the ship leave you?”

Officer Lightoller: “Yes, sir.”

Not sure why the above exchange that took place in NYC the week after the Titanic disaster came into my mind when I thought about sharing my accident story on the forum. Maybe because I empathized with Mr. Lightoller, who in spite of being highly trained and experienced in the operation of his ship, suddenly found his ship crippled and going down right underneath him, and there was nothing he could do about it.

But the analogy isn’t perfect, because although the officers of the Titanic anticipated the possibility of icebergs, I can’t help but feel that—despite the thousands of miles of roads I travelled, the six or seven skills-improvement classes I attended, the several articles on M.C. safety I published, and all the riding-technique books I read—I could not have anticipated and avoided the possibility that such a small, familiar, innocuous object would cause my ’05 to go down right underneath me in the middle of an intersection. Call it a freak accident.

Anyway, my FJR left me, and then I left it. After the accident, I rode myself to the hospital, parked the bike, and never got on it again. I sold it soon after and haven’t owned a bike since. That was more than two years ago. In fact, during that time I went completely ‘civilian.’ I came to think anyone who rode a motorcycle was nuts!

But I have to say, I never stopped dreaming (the type you do while sleeping) about riding. I dreamed more about riding over the last two years than I did when I rode full time the previous 13 years when I got my first bike, an ’03 Sportster. And in almost every dream, I knew I didn’t have a bike anymore, and in the dream I always resolved to get one. Then I’d wake up. After a fleeting moment of regret, I’d go on my way, by car.

But just recently my mind seems to have turned a corner. Or maybe it didn’t turn a corner so much as sweep through a curve—one of those broad, dry, newly paved, positively cambered sweepers you can look all the way through to the exit and the promise of more and better ahead. Because in my mind’s eye, I have leaned into that curve, looked through to that exit, and glimpsed the possibility of getting another bike. An FJR to be exact (what else?).

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here’s what happened:

On a Wednesday morning before work I dropped my bike off at my dealer for a routine service. Later that morning I got the call it was ready and went back to pick it up.

My dealer is located on a very busy urban arterial that feeds an interstate highway a quarter mile away. The road is two lanes, one in each direction, separated by a broken line.

After I paid the bill and suited up in my Aerostitch and attendant gear, I nudged the bike out onto the street from the dealer’s driveway, where I stopped perpendicular to traffic and waited for my opening; I wanted to turn left.

The traffic was thick that day. I waited for a couple of minutes without any opportunity to safely jump in. So I finally said to hell with it and went right instead. I turned right onto the arterial, then immediately right onto the street next to the dealer, then right again behind the dealer, up a block, and right again to get onto the street that would cross the arterial and get me headed back to work. (These right turns are germane to the story: they saved my life.)

So after those four right turns I was now heading down the two-lane street where, about a mile up I would turn left to continue up to my work. Approaching the intersection where I would turn left, I slowed and entered the left-turn pocket (which had no separate green turn arrow; just go when safe). No traffic was coming at that moment, so I continued into the intersection, slowed, and began my lean.

Suddenly, in the middle of my turn, the handlebars locked up. I couldn’t get them to move the distance I needed to balance my committed lean angle, and the bike just slowly started to fall to the ground. I fought it, trying to keep it upright by putting my left boot on the ground and wrestling the handlebars. But it was too heavy and took me down with it. I fell hard onto my back; the bike came down on my left lower leg. Lying pinned on the ground in the middle of an urban intersection, to my horror the rear wheel continued spinning, propelling the bike up into me.

I managed to kill the engine (I had heeded the advice of M.C. safety authors to always use the kill switch to turn off your bike so it becomes second nature). Soon a young man standing nearby came to my aid. Together we righted the bike and walked it to the curb. (If that ever happens to you, try to calm your mind long enough to ask the Good Samaritan for his or her contact information.)

Standing now safely on the side of the road—I was dumbfounded! What the f**k just happened? Why did I just crash?

I lifted the bike up onto the center stand to inspect the bike (that’s when I first became aware of the sharp pain in my lower left leg). I looked at the front tire and rim, and checked the tire pressure. All okay.

Then I looked at the forks. They seemed fine. Next I turned the handlebars left and right. When I turned them to the left…clunk! Something restricted their movement. I looked down into the fork well and reached inside. That’s when I found the cause.

My satellite radio antennae, or what I call the radio ‘puck’ because it’s small and round like a hockey puck, was dangling down inside the fork well, connected by the wire that ran under the dash. The puck was resting between the left fork and the side panel. It normally sits on the gas tank, secured by its magnetic base. When I turned the fork to the left, it struck the puck. Clearly, when working on the bike, the mechanic had removed the puck, then failed to replace it on the tank. (I think a lot of riders secure their pucks onto their handlebars or dash shelf, wisely it would seem.)

By this time my leg was hurting enough to attract my full attention. Rolling up my ‘stitch and blue jeans, I saw a bruise below my left knee, on my calf, that had swollen up quite large (about the size of a half softball). I figured it needed looking at. So I replaced the puck on the tank, confirmed that the bike was functional, and rode to the hospital (through heavy rush-hour freeway traffic, distracted, upset, in pain). I parked the bike and limped into urgent care. I called my wife to come get me.

Urgent care sent me to get an x-ray. By the time I was out of x-ray and heading back to my appointment with the doctor, I was no longer able to walk on my own from the pain, and had to call for a wheelchair from the hallway. There was no broken bone, thank goodness. I was diagnosed with a very large hematoma that resolved itself after several months and left a lasting discoloration.

-------------------------------------------------------

So that was my accident. I think I was lucky ("lucky"). If I had made the left turn into thick traffic from the dealer’s, and gone down onto the pavement on that busy street, I have no doubt I would have been hit and seriously injured or killed by one or more cars not expecting the motorcycle in front of them to suddenly just drop onto the ground (if the drivers’ eyes were on the road at all). Instead I took four rights and that first left on a lightly traveled street, where I was lucky no cars came along while I was on the ground.

And when I think about a scenario where I crash turning left from the dealer, it occurs to me that no one would ever have figured out that I crashed because of a dealer mistake. Everyone would just have figured I made a stupid mistake.

I filed a claim against the dealer and was paid what I asked (counseled by my long-time friend who works as a liability attorney). They are great people and an ethical business. It was a stupid mistake. I hold them no grudge or animosity.

As for lessons learned, I don’t know if I learned any safety lessons, beyond what some authors will tell you: conduct a pre-ride inspection every time you ride. In future, if I get another bike, I may ensure that the handlebars have free range of motion in both directions.

And finally, as my wife might ask (the question many men dread), “How did you feel about it?” Well (honey), the accident came at the perfect time for me. I was using the bike almost exclusively to commute (dry/wet, hot/cold, light/dark, summer/winter), and the fun had gone out of it long ago. But before the accident I did not own a car, so could not see a way out of commuting by motorcycle (I didn’t want to buy a car; of course ultimately I did).

The accident was the perfect moment, and excuse, to walk away, literally, with minimal injury. So that’s what I did. But now, if I decide to take it up again, I can imagine a new chapter in riding, one where I ride only on my own terms. I may start by renting or borrowing a bike to see how it goes. We’ll see…

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you luck but I do not sense a whole lot of riding lust. The fun was gone? Every time I ride, rain or shine I never have to ask myself anything, I love to ride, it is still natural after 48 years. I think if someone has to ask themselves " the question" they already know the answer. Killed Bambi in a 70mph sweeper up N. in BC in 92, wearing full leathers, Wife asked no questions and two weeks later I was riding a replacement, I just love riding and cannot imagine not.Soooo, I am glad you are alright and do what makes you sincerely happiest.

Sure glad you didn't end up being a speed bump JB. Gotta agree with Dave get back on the horse if the urge is still there and ride when you are in the mood.

I think you were extremely lucky the dealership paid a dime. Would be hard to prove you didn't drop the puck there yourself, and would have a hard time explaining to a judge/court how you didn't notice that puck wasn't in it's proper place on the tank before you even took off. Pre flight......

...if you feel the urge, get back in the game, if not, probably better off not....motorcycling should be fun. Good luck!
bike.gif

JB, glad to see you are posting again and thank you for sharing. I have missed your postings as they usually give me pause to think about it (whatever your topic was).

One of the good things is you were able to figure out without any doubt what the cause was. There are many who never know that and doubt their ability. That leaves it up to your feelings about riding again. As Ray and others have said, do it if you enjoy it, but don't force it. (And don't be a stranger - you are one of those that help make this forum a great place)

Hmmm.

JB I love you but you, the pilot, the ship's captain, are fully responsible for your ride.

Sorry bud, but if you were here in front of me we would have a long serious talk. Because I want you to be safe!

And to continue riding too!

I perform a safety check EVERY FUCKING TIME I mount a bike..

Some laugh at me, but I'm the last man standing out of all my riding friends from high school age. I think that's worth something.

If you want, ride to my place and we will spend a GREAT weekend of riding, learning, sharing!

Love Ya JB!

Hans, glad to hear from you like Auburn I missed your posts.

I'm getting old but I seem to remember when you were posting you seemed to be wondering about why you were riding. I remember your videos of your commute and the lane splitting and it seemed to me you were questioning the sanity of it. And it always reminded me of myself back in the mid 70's. I was a M/C commuter, my commutes were always across those steel grated draw bridges as they were the only way out of West Seattle. It rains a lot here so most of the time the ride was in an old Ski suit I used for snow skiing. This went on for five or so years and I started noticing I wasn't going out for rides on the weekend anymore, I stay home and do chores or work on the bike as those old Triumphs I rode always needed a valve adjustment or the points and timing re-did.

One day I said screw this as I had a few close calls on those old bridges, one time even being rear ended and being shoved into the car in front of me bending the forks of the bobber I was riding. I started caging it back in forth to work and on the decent weekends out riding with my buds again. That was forty years ago. Still riding the 07 that I had when we first meet 115,000 miles on it and also have a Tenere now. The 200,000 or so mile since I quit riding every day have been some pretty dam fine miles. Even the odd days when I did commute on a M/C were good as they all were on my terms.

I'm not part of that Tribe that a M/C defines me. M/C's have been a life long passion, I think if I had kept commuting I might have burned out.

Best of Luck, Pan.

Nice to hear from you JB. The accident may have dampened your enthusiasm for riding but thankfully it did not harm your talent for making a long novel out of a short story.

It is natural to lose your riding mojo after a crash. I was angry for a year after my crash and I finally figured it out. The crash interfered with my enthusiasm for something important to me. Once I chilled out, I rekindled my passion for riding. But it was a rough year until then.

I am riding safer than before, if not also a little slower. (Sez Carver: you were really only fast in your own mind, Hudson)

Very interesting read.

On a beautiful Friday afternoon in July 1996 on my way back from my annual 2 week summer sojourn, I was hit by a red light runner in Portland Oregon. It was on a 4 lane 45 MPH road and the traffic was fairly heavy. Because of the positioning of all the other traffic I didn't actually see her until she and I were both in the intersection, she "threaded the needle" to hit me.

As anyone that has crashed knows all too well, time really does slow down and I remember thinking "this is gonna hurt" followed by a protracted period of floating/flying before noticing the ground was coming up fast and then Cruuuuunch.

A broken left Fibula, a bone in my wrist as well as a "chunk" of skin and meat missing from my lower left leg along with all the expected bruises later, I found myself at home lying in my recliner with my girlfriend and parents etc asking me if I had had enough. Nope I said, I've been on a bike since I was 5 years old as a passenger and riding my own since I was 11. It is just a "part" of me.

On the following Tuesday morning I hobbled into the dealership with a boot cast on my leg and splint for my right wrist and I rode out on my new bike. I'm still not sure why the dealership let me do that as they all were looking at me like they were staring at a Martian. But they did and I rode it, rather uncomfortably no doubt, home.

Since retiring and moving to Arizona I have crossed the country in all the various directions many times. I have been caught in microbursts, horrific winds, people drifting over the centerline, pulling out to pass without checking for oncoming traffic, etc, etc. Not ONCE have I ever thought "I am not having fun". I have been pissed off at the idiots trying to cut my ride short, frustrated that the weather I am dealing with means I won't make it to where I want to be when I want to be there, but I have never doubted I LOVE just being on my motorcycle.

When/if that ever changes I will hang up the boots and get the wind in my face from my convertible. I truly believe anything less than that level of passion would make me dangerous to myself.

The decision to call it a day in regards to riding is a very personal one and there is no such thing as a right or wrong answer, just the right answer for each of us. For me that day will arrive when I no longer dream of my next great adventure on the bike with all the starry eyed excitement of a 5 year old on Christmas Eve. YMMV.

Glad it wasn't as bad as it might have been. When I read about the quick-swelling, I first thought about one of those (look up the real term) Compartment Syndrome bruises.

Thanks for sharing and explaining why I'm now glad I have a dash shelf. I never thought about what might happen if it dropped down somewhere like that.

Welcome back.

Nice to see you posting again, Hans, and very glad that your incident wasn't any worse and that you're here to live and possibly ride another day. Every person that I've known, myself included, goes through a varying time period where they question whether or not to ride anymore. It's part of the healing process in your heart and mind. And whatever decision you come to will be the right one for you. None of us can answer that question for you... I hope you find that joy of riding again but, if not, I hope you find the next best thing that will make your heart and soul happy. You are always welcome on any of my rides in whatever vehicle you choose.
love.gif

Good read and great thread - not because I'm some kind of sick-o, although I may in fact be, but because it reminds me that every time I throw a leg over, the juice has to be worth the squeeze. I do think there is a difference between riding for purely pleasure/enjoyment and using the bike as a necessary means of transportation - especially if you live/work in a heavily congested urban area.

After my own crash, with the inevitable thoughts running wild within my head, the brilliant lady that posted here before me told me something very profound. "A decision to do nothing is in fact a decision."

There is no rush and no deadline. When and if you are ready, it will be there waiting for you. I hope you figure it out, whenever you are ready to figure it out.

Mr Burleigh! So good to see your face around here again! Two quick comments ...

1) I commute most days, too. The route's about 12 miles, from suburban Smyrna into midtown Atlanta. The most direct route is two-lane undivided streets and 9 miles of freeway HOV lane; the "scenic route" is 100% multilane streets through industrial and light manufacturing, but is 3 or 4 miles longer. On the WORST commute, riding the FJR still gives me joy, even if we're surrounded by heavy trucks heading to the CSX rail yard. Perhaps if my profession was Risk Assessment -- as is yours? -- it might be a series of probability calculations and visualizations of potential crash scenarios. That would certainly kill my moto-joy.

2) Riding a motorcycle is always a much higher risk than driving an automobile, without regard to route, weather, traffic, or your own emotional attitude. If you're not having fun, why take on the additional risk?

You're a grown man and will make up your own mind, and that's fine by me. Always enjoyed your insights, however, so please stick around even if you become a car or BART guy.

Damn JB! First of all, there is no such thing as an accident. It's a crash. Caused by reasons. In your case, you are well aware.

As for for your whole story - that's really pucked up!

I can't believe you trashed that pristine FJR I checked out for you!!!

First of all, glad you're OK. As usual, it coulda been worse. Secondly, thanks for sharing this experience. We can all learn from it.

I have a LED light controller module that currently resides under the top triple tree, loosely restrained by several cables, brake lines and such. It is not securely fastened. I can imagine a scenario where it inadvertently finds its way to a spot where it could interfere with full lock to lock travel of the forks.

So thanks to your story I will remedy this sloppy install before I ride another mile.

Latest posts