Tech Day XVIII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
It's time once again for the best-damned midwest FJR Tech Day EVER!

Edition #18 will be in sunny, beautiful, doesn't-stink-as-bad-as-it-used-to Owosso, MI, hosted by Bust and MizzBust.

Plan on Saturday, April 27, 2019 for this soiree. For folks who cannot make this a day ride, or have serious stuff to do on their bikes, there may be lodging available at the Sheep Pen or there are hotels where we have stayed in the past. We'll get more on that as the date gets closer.

Hopefully it doesn't snow this year.

Post up if you are coming. Please include:
1. When you plan on arriving and if you are staying overnight. That helps the innkeepers to plan and stuff.
B. What you're looking to do to your bike. Plan on wrenching on your own bike with folks nearby who have already either broken what you're working on or have completely screwed the pooch on what you're working on. If you're not sure what parts you will need for whatever you wanna do to your bike (say, a valve check or a fork rebuild), the sooner you speak up, the sooner you can get parts advice.

The Brain Trust usually brings most tools needed to get most jobs done. Bust has these things in the garage called 'tools' that ... well, other than the metric screwdrivers, I'm not really sure what they are or how to use them, but other people have used them and their bikes (mostly) ran, so that's good.

If you need tires, speak up so that we can make sure there's a tire changer there. Otherwise, there may not be one.

As a reminder, if you wanna do a valve check, plan on getting there Friday or trailering your bike. The engine has to be stone cold to do a valve check. If you don't have a shim kit, we'll make sure one is available.

If you wanna ship parts there ahead of time, speak up so we can get ya the shipping address. And if you haven't been to this little patch of Michigan, let us know so we can get you the address.

I'm currently planning on riding up for this. I'm going on the list for:
1. Replace me frayed throttle cables.
3. If I don't have it done before then, I'll be needing a new front tire.

We are looking forward to seeing faces both familiar and new!

I plan to attend and change my rear tire! I will bring the new tire with me so I have good tread for the flat boring roads at SEOR.

There will be beer!

53vWHwR.jpg

MpX6EVc.jpg

One valve check on the schedule.. Fresh meat El Guapo Loco here will arrive Friday.

Cancel that he's not welcome here now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be there. Thanks guys.

I'll be needing help working on the valve check.

Sooze and I are home safe.

It was a much more pleasant ride home than it was going up, but I'm glad I had my heated jacket and gloves with me - it was just chilly enough to warrant using 'em.

Thanks to Ray and Bill for changing the throttle cables - MUCH more betterer. Thanks to TimDOG for changing the batteries on our headsets and for re-sealing my AVCC control pad. Dunno why, but it's once again not Setting. Damn thing.

And thanks to Barry and Sheila for hosting once more!

Just a couple shots to see what those who didn't make it missed.

0JRJGhX.jpg

LodtHbQ.jpg

What happens when we drink and get bored.

qQkAT5U.jpg

Just two of the eleven scoots he has in his collection.

Thanks Sooze for taking these shots. I didn't even think to bring a camera as I see them everyday>

Schweet photos, so thanks again to Suze!

Do the Harley engines run? They look pretty similar to Harley's current engines ...