K&P Engineering Oil Filter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had any experience using one of the K&P Stainless Mesh S1 Oil Filters in their FJR?
Someone posted an opinion, a long time ago, in an OIL THREAD {duh} that this particular type of "micron trap" did not catch as many "microns" as other "micron traps" so it wasn't as good. Since I am concerned about catching all the nasty, engine destroying "microns" as I can in my beloved FJR, I have passed on a couple of them that came up for sale over the years. If it turns out that these catch as many "microns" as the paper filters I use, I will be upset.

Haven't used that one but stainless mesh filters have been around for a long time. I used them in the marine world for prefilters on diesel fuel systems. The drawback is cleaning. By the time you take the time to clean,dry,dispose of solvent and supplies you could use an OEM filter and toss the old one in the trash. Compare the micron size of the filter media and you will find it on par with OEM. If you filter to fine you restrict flow and that isn't good. Pick your poison.

Not that brand but a Kawasaki I had used an oil pump pre-strainer similar to that in addition to the regular oil filter. That's the only time I've ever seen one on a bike. On many diesel engines they are used too, but as strainers to catch the big shit at the suction side of the pump. I never came across one used solely as a filter on big diesels, not even in the Navy.

Looking at the website I suspect this really is more a strainer rather than a filter. I dug deep and whilst they proclaim loudly the flow rate at low pressure ("up to 7 times more flow than paper filters..."), I'm having a hard time finding a micron rating. If it's less than 30-50 I'd be surprised. Comparing old numbers, most spin-on filters are down in the 10 to 7 range. Keep in mind: more flow comes from bigger openings meaning less filtering.

... the flow rate at low pressure ("up to 7 times more flow than paper filters...")... Keep in mind: more flow comes from bigger openings meaning less filtering.
Almost by definition, if the flow rate is less restrictive, it's allowing bigger stuff through.

The only way it could be less restrictive with the same micron rating is if the effective surface area was "up to [whatever that means] 7 times" greater. Unlikely, seeing how paper filters are folded to maximise surface area.

Harley Davidson offered something like that in their accessory catalog a few years ago while I was still working at a dealership. We never sold any or even had many questions asked about them. Once you figured out the price and then compared it to the ease of just spinning on a new filter without the time being spent cleaning and drying out that filter element it certainly didn't look like much of a deal. The machined housing looks nice.

Flow rate shouldn't matter much in a tight modern watercooled engine, where the flow is

determined by quite small oil passages in the engine. Perhaps the old "oil cooled" Suzuki's

{where they shot a stream of oil up under each piston} would have needed a much higher flow rate.

https://kandpengineering.com/technical-information/testing/ Interesting Flow and Particulate info here.

I used a similar mesh filter on a Sprint Car Engine - saw about a 7 HP increase on the dyno with the mesh filter over a comparable paper element.

The Mesh was important for weekly maintenance as well, we caught several problems before they became "Big" problems but the service was a bit more severe than the FJR.

Saw this on a Bring More Wallet website and wondered if anyone here had ever tried on their FJR.

It won't pay off for at least 15 oil changes before the cost of chemicals, but it sure looks cool.

I used a filter like this on my YZF450 MX bike for years. Loved it. Never a problem. I wouldn't be afraid to use it on my FJR either. Keep in mind, regular oil changes should never have any more than a tiny bit of clutch material in it, which it will easily catch. If there is more, and its finer than the filter, it isn't causing any trouble anyhow. Having said that it doesn't look very cost effective.....

https://kandpengineering.com/technical-information/testing/ Interesting Flow and Particulate info here.
I used a similar mesh filter on a Sprint Car Engine - saw about a 7 HP increase on the dyno with the mesh filter over a comparable paper element.

The Mesh was important for weekly maintenance as well, we caught several problems before they became "Big" problems but the service was a bit more severe than the FJR.

Saw this on a Bring More Wallet website and wondered if anyone here had ever tried on their FJR.

It won't pay off for at least 15 oil changes before the cost of chemicals, but it sure looks cool.
I guess it depends. My last several oil changes for the FJR I got at AutoZone included $5-$7 discount on 5 qts and a free M1-110 oil filter.

I have one on my Roadstar and have a oil pressure gauge. no differance. 40 to 50,000 miles with that thing. No problems.

I plan to put one on the fjr this spring.

This seems to be similar (possibly identical?) to the Scotts filters that have been around for many years.

https://www.scottsonline.com/Product_Purchase2.php?Bike_ID=7100&BI_ID=588539

I'm in the camp that doesn't see any particular savings over a reasonable time period - even if I was convinced that they would provide adequate filtration "fineness" along with sufficient capacity to last from one oil change to the next. I would also be concerned that plugging of mesh openings would become a problem eventually - very difficult to completely remove all very small particulates from a fine metal mesh.