Power outlet in glovebox door

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
On my old 2003 FJR, I installed a Powerlet outlet for my GPS by drilling and installing the left fairing inner panel.

When I bought my new 2016, I really didn't want to go that route. Since it already had a switched power socket inside the glove box, I thought that would be the logical place to get power. But, I didn't want to leave the door open to feed the power cord in while I was riding. To make a long story short, I decided to drill a hole in the glove box door. This would likely be easier and cheaper to replace if I needed to "undrill" the big hole that I needed.

So, with a bit of eyeball engineering, I drilled the hole as far forward and to the right as possible to keep it under cover but not block the power socket inside the pocket. Next, I got a cigarette lighter extension cord from the local auto parts store, cut the cord down to about 8", and put spade connectors on the ends to match the Powerlet connectors. Install the Powerlet in the glove box cover, and plug it in to the bike's socket. If needed, I can unplug the Powerlet and plug in a phone charger or whatever else I need. It's really that simple. There's still plenty of room for the bike's registration papers and misc other junk inside. Here are a couple of pics :

fjr-power-socket-1.JPG

fjr-power-socket-2.JPG

fjr-power-socket-4.JPG

fjr-power-socket-5.JPG

fjr-power-socket-6.JPG

I dremeled a small slot beneath the door just big enough not to pinch the gps cable with the door closed.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, my glovebox door closes tightly with the phone charging cord underneath. No drilling, and the door pinches it tightly so there's no rubbing or chafing.

Been that way since I got the dashboard shelf about 65,000 miles ago. Same iPhone cable, too.

Last edited by a moderator: