2020 Tenere 700 Coming to Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming to the US 2nd half of 2020 also.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/adventure-touring/models/tenere-700

Some specs are available. Not all of them impressive.

Suspension travel 8.3 in. Front, 7.9 in. Rear.

4.2 gal. Tank 215 mi. Range

Two important ones that are conspicuously absent: wet weight and msrp.

Edit- just found the Euro model weight is supposedly 451 lbs wet. That is pretty good if it holds true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt wait any more when the Africa Twin is available now at deep discounts. Longer suspension, bigger fuel tank, humongous range if you go for the Adventure Sport variant (I didnt). But my 2017 AT weighs 500 lbs. and 50 lbs difference is a pretty big deal off pavement. 450 lbs is nearly the same as a KLR650 weight.

Of course we all load our mules up with many pounds of accoutrements before heading down the trail, that goes without saying. But having a 50 lb handicap is youge! Now... what will the ticket price be?

Coming to the US 2nd half of 2020 also.https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/adventure-touring/models/tenere-700Some specs are available. Not all of them impressive.

Suspension travel 8.3 in. Front, 7.9 in. Rear.

4.2 gal. Tank 215 mi. Range

Two important ones that are conspicuously absent: wet weight and msrp.

Edit- just found the Euro model weight is supposedly 451 lbs wet. That is pretty good if it holds true.
If a KTM 500 EXC can weight 240 dry weight , how does the T7’s 200 extra cc’s add another 200 pounds ? Waiting three plus years so far for this unicorn of a bike and it weighs over 400 lbs, I think Yamaha should have done better with this.

Apples and oranges. KTM 500 EXC is a full- on dirt racing bike with a plate and a headlight. It would be miserable to ride on road more than a mile or two. Compare that bike to a WR450F in terms of purpose and weight.

Adding a second cylinder, and the ability to go 4-5 k miles between oil changes makes the Tenere more of an ADV bike than an enduro. It would more directly compare to the KTM Adventure 790, which weighs 417 lbs dry. About the same as the Tenere wet.

To your point though, Yamaha really needs to make the big WR street legal and keep the price where it is, below $10k.

Agree on the WR, they need to release a street legal version ( and add some oil capacity ).

There’s more than a few ride reports on ADV with guys using a EXC as an adventure bike , including some lengthy round the world reports so it can do street miles just fine, I think the bike street capability is underestimated by some folks, the Assies seem to love it as a ADV weapon.

Yeah, I was right there with my WR450. Really wanted it to work as an ADV type bike, but with 5 hour recommended oil changes, which translates to about 250 miles on main roads (5 hours at 50 mph). Even if you stretched the changes out times 5, thats still an oil change every ~1250 miles.

The problem, as I see it, is that the sump on the WR only holds 1 measley quart of oil. I believe the KTM 500 EXC is the same. Thats all well and good for a race bike, where you change the oil after every race, but not for something that you want to ride 300 to 400 miles a day for weeks. But, making the crankcases big enough for 4 or 5 quarts of oil is what gets you into these bigger ADV bike sizes.

Yeah, you could probably run the bike on one quart of oil and never change it, which about what these Aussies report doing. Treat it like your lawn mower or snow blower. But just cause you can doesnt mean that you should. Right?

the older bikes carried more oil and were more adv-able. my atk with xr600 power plant carries a much more than a quart but then again has no magic button.

Yeah, I was right there with my WR450. Really wanted it to work as an ADV type bike, but with 5 hour recommended oil changes, which translates to about 250 miles on main roads (5 hours at 50 mph). Even if you stretched the changes out times 5, thats still an oil change every ~1250 miles.
The problem, as I see it, is that the sump on the WR only holds 1 measley quart of oil. I believe the KTM 500 EXC is the same. Thats all well and good for a race bike, where you change the oil after every race, but not for something that you want to ride 300 to 400 miles a day for weeks. But, making the crankcases big enough for 4 or 5 quarts of oil is what gets you into these bigger ADV bike sizes.

Yeah, you could probably run the bike on one quart of oil and never change it, which about what these Aussies report doing. Treat it like your lawn mower or snow blower. But just cause you can doesnt mean that you should. Right?
These facts are why I chose my Beta 500 RR-S even though I would prefer to stick with Yamaha. WR service intervals were 600 miles for oil and valve check and it doesn't come street legal, KTM 500 EXC was 15 hours, and the Beta was 30 hours. Of course every where you look they say these service intervals are based off of racing type stresses. From what I've read, while riding these bikes as a dual sport or light ADV, you can get by with increased service intervals. I'm not sure if Beta gets by with longer service intervals since it uses separate and different oil for the crank case and gear box. They both use 750ml for a total of 1.5 liters. Its not as easy dumping two cases as one but when I can double KTM service intervals it seems worth it to me.