USB charger bracket prototype

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
I drew this up and my brother cut on his CNC. This is the prototype for a limited production run, if there is any interest.

Final products will be waterjet cut rather than CNC, and from slightly thicker stock. This is 1/8" 6061 aluminum.

What are your thoughts? CC appreciated.

IDBmRE6.jpg

I like it!...Its similar to a dash shelf I had on my Vstrom, made by adventuretech. I found the best USB outlets at marine supply stores as they were truly waterproof.

Will it fit my 17?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it!...Its similar to a dash shelf I had on my Vstrom, made by adventuretech. I found the best USB outlets at marine supply stores as they were truly waterproof.
Will it fit my 17?
I would imagine the space between those 2 bolts are the same, but if you can measure yours, I can tell you for sure. This is on my 08 Gen II.

I am planning on re-centering the USB cutouts as well so that they are not that close to the edge of the bracket.

I drew this up and my brother cut on his CNC. This is the prototype for a limited production run, if there is any interest.
Final products will be waterjet cut rather than CNC, and from slightly thicker stock. This is 1/8" 6061 aluminum.

IDBmRE6.jpg
Is the aluminum sturdy enough to withstand the force of inserting sockets on a regular basis? Can the item be cut from stainless steel? That would be more rigid and easy to keep polished.

Wow, with this AND my shelf, I can put in that microwave I have been hankering for. Just

kidding. Hurry up and get this in production, the sooner you sell them, the sooner one

will be available to me second hand.

IDBmRE6.jpg
Is the aluminum sturdy enough to withstand the force of inserting sockets on a regular basis? Can the item be cut from stainless steel? That would be more rigid and easy to keep polished.
This is 1/8" aluminum, and it's plenty strong enough to withstand daily use. I think the next size up in thickness would be overkill, but that's what I do. :) It could be cut from stainless as well I guess. Waterjet doesn't really care what it cuts at that thickness.

what are you using for the USB plugs?
I bought these from amazon, they are a pretty standard USB outlet. 1A and 2.1A for each outlet. One of them has the voltage meter. There are dozens of different ones on Amazon and AliBaba. Straight CLA adapters, switches, you name it, it can be totally custom. If you search on Amazon for "usb outlet 12v", you will see a huge variety.