Fully draining the gas tank in a Gen 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nex

Reaction score
Going to try repainting the tank on my Gen 3 due to a small chip that I couldn't repair. I have the tank removed from the bike now with very little fuel in it, but I'd like to drain it completely before sanding as I don't want to have fumes and the risk of ignition.

As I see it, there are 3 places through which fuel can be removed:

1. The connector on the fuel pump where the fuel hose was attached.

I don't think this will flow on its own.

2. Unscrewing the fuel pump itself and draining the fuel around it (or through the hole it's in).

I've tried unscrewing the fuel pump, but couldn't get it fully out on the first try. I could let the gasoline flow around it, but I'd prefer a better solution. I've since found some info on how to get the pump out. I'll try it again unless there is an easier way I'm missing.

3. Flipping the tank upside down after detaching the fuel cap.

I expected this to be the easiest way, but the flow is extremely slow and I don't anticipate that all of the fuel will come out this way.

Has anyone done this? Looking for recommendations before I proceed with #2.

Yeah, removing the fuel pump turned out to be easy enough and made it fairly easy to drain out the rest of the fuel. There was a piece that seemed to be just 2mm too wide and was holding the pump in, but the approach described here works for the FJR as well:

Yammie must put the same piece in all their bikes. FJR forum, R6 in the video, and my experience w R1 are all the same. I chose to just snip off that tab and removed the fuel pump on my R1. Best I heard it explained is that they must use same piece in other applications and that tab makes sense somewhere.

Even with dumping the fuel out, you will have some traces left in there. If you are just sanding/filling, I wouldn't worry TOO much about vapors. I drilled for an aux last year. Dumped the tank through the bottom, and there were still little crevices that the gas pooled up in, like the seams around the bottom sides. Let it air out for a day or so and work in a cool place so there are less vapors. If you are really paranoid, you can then fill it with water and rinse it out.