WNY Tech Day VI, June 1, 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnyfjr

Reaction score
Well, it seems Laura and I have yet to learn our lesson, so we are again hosting a tech day this year on Saturday, June 1st. Hard for me to believe this will be our sixth one!

I have confirmed that Ray (RayZerman, the real brain-trust of these shenanigans) will be here with tools and his usual charm. I can't remember what Ray said about Billy being available, but he may be involved in some illicit trail-riding goings on that weekend. What say you Mr. Yamafitter?

As usual, we will feed y'all, so no one gets hangry. For anyone needing shelter, we will have some room for overnighters. The standard caveat applies for anyone looking for a valve clearance check: you must arrive the night before or trailer it in so that the engine is cold on Saturday morning.

Anyone interested, drop me a PM or reply here, letting me know what work, if any, you will be needing. If you need parts shipped here, that's not a problem. If anyone needs a tire change, I do have a HF tire changer that some have actually made to work (not me however, I hate the damn thing!). If you don't have any wrenching in mind but just want to come and hang out with this esteemed crowd, that's completely acceptable as well. There will be beer...
drinks.gif

Bring it on!

I'm In!!
smile.png
Thanks Mike and Laura for stepping up again!!
punk.gif

- Need the steering head checked. It doesn't happen often but I feel a rattle a few times a year. It might only need to be re-torqued.

- Clean up and lube shifting linkage. If I don't get a chance to get it done before.

If someone is willing to be a teacher I know very little about the FJR electrical system. I would like to learn some basics along with using a tester. I've run a fair amount of home electrical for a DIY'er, installed wall outlets, switches, so some basic knowledge is between my ears, but haven't ever done any 12v stuff. Also a few tips on where you can and cannot run wires on the bike. I want to add some LEDs and my lack of knowledge in the 12v department is holding me back.

Would like to help/watch on a valve check too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm In!!
smile.png
Thanks Mike and Laura for stepping up again!!
punk.gif

- Need the steering head checked. It doesn't happen often but I feel a rattle a few times a year. It might only need to be re-torqued.

- Clean up and lube shifting linkage. If I don't get a chance to get it done before.

If someone is willing to be a teacher I know very little about the FJR electrical system. I would like to learn some basics along with using a tester. I've run a fair amount of home electrical for a DIY'er, installed wall outlets, switches, so some basic knowledge is between my ears, but haven't ever done any 12v stuff. Also a few tips on where you can and cannot run wires on the bike. I want to add some LEDs and my lack of knowledge in the 12v department is holding me back.

Would like to help/watch on a valve check too.
12 volt electrical, in Michigan they reference "leaving the smoke out" I believe, lol. Should be assistance there for that!

Would also like to witness a valve check.

Thanks to Mike and Laura for enduring this again!

Hi Mike!!

I am definately in this year. I think this will be #3 for me, so glad to be in the 50% club
rolleyes.gif
I purchased this 2006 project bike from some crazy technical professor who calls himself RaYzerman
omg2.gif
so it looks like I'll have a lot of work to correct everything that day
haha.gif
Aside from that I'm excited to come this year and will have a new member of the family coming with Tim and I. He is the fortunate soul who bought my bike off me last year and is a real Yamaha enthusiast with many years of experience and lots of electrical experience. Should be a good help for the boys doing any electrical this year on the bikes. Cheers good friend and say hi to Laura. Mel

Hey Mel! Be sure to save some rubber on that rear tire for the trip.
rolleyes.gif
No promises as I'm running low
weirdsmiley.gif
help.gif
Tracer 900 GT? Whaaaaaat! Ray's gonna be so jealous, I think that might be his next bike
omg2.gif
I actually purchased the project bike he worked on all winter. I think he might actually know what he's doing. Who Knew
yahoo.gif

Hey Mel! Be sure to save some rubber on that rear tire for the trip.
rolleyes.gif
No promises as I'm running low
weirdsmiley.gif
help.gif
Tracer 900 GT? Whaaaaaat! Ray's gonna be so jealous, I think that might be his next bike
omg2.gif
I actually purchased the project bike he worked on all winter. I think he might actually know what he's doing. Who Knew
yahoo.gif
Don't spread that around! He might raise his rates for these tech days and then we'll all be screwed!!
uhoh.gif

OK folks, we're two weeks out for this fine festival of FJR fun (see what I did there?). Laura and I are looking forward to seeing all you miscreants again. If anyone needs the address, PM me and I'll set you up. If you're not sure what tech days are all about, come on down even if you have no actual work that needs doing. We welcome looky-loos and gawkers too!

For those actually needing some work done, I think Ray has a handle on what work there is to be done, but feel free to refresh our memories here.

Laura and I are looking forward to this as always!!

Got a 05 with about 65K, maintenance manual says replace brake hose every four years. Dont think it was ever done. Need advice here so I can order my parts in time for the gathering. Thanks

Got a 05 with about 65K, maintenance manual says replace brake hose every four years. Dont think it was ever done. Need advice here so I can order my parts in time for the gathering. Thanks
I have only read about one person replacing their brake hoses and that was because he wanted stainless steel hoses. I haven't read or talked to anyone who has replaced their brake hoses as a maintenance item. I have a '12, haven't done that on my mine or any other bike I or family members have owned. Saying this to save you some cash as well as making sure there is no air in the lines can be a real headache and time consuming.

I look forward to see you at the gathering!!

Last edited by a moderator: