Mirrors with front signal lights embeded

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHotdog

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I would like to replace the original mirrors for mirrors with front signal lights embeded.

Has anyone ever made this change? Especially at the electrical level?

(for the 2017 FJR)

Tx.

I'd stay with OE mirrors many aftermarket parts are poor quality with fit and function. There are many small LED lights that could be attached to mirror housing with a little thought..

Wiring a little more difficult to hide for a clean install. Connections are easy just need to tap into front signal harness- lights. MAY need to remove a few things to access.

I'd stay with OE mirrors many aftermarket parts are poor quality with fit and function. There are many small LED lights that could be attached to mirror housing with a little thought..Wiring a little more difficult to hide for a clean install. Connections are easy just need to tap into front signal harness- lights. MAY need to remove a few things to access.
Tx FJRPilot.

Can you tell me where is the harness lights and how I can acces to it on a GEN III ?

I'm making the assumption that you're looking at forward-facing signals so on-coming traffic can see you. A ways back some were experimenting with embedding indicators inside the mirrors so that the rider can see them and, I guess, along with vehicles along side. Similar to like many cages now-a-days.

I've always like the idea on the outside, especially if you can leave them lit all the time like marker lamps. I've seen some set-ups where LED strips were somehow attached but none really wowed me. I think if I ever were to tackle this project I'd first survey the various bike manufacturers and see which of their models are already offered with these and then see if I could retrofit them onto the FJR somehow. For instance Yamaha's Niken comes with these but no idea if they'd be adaptable.

052818-2019-yamaha-niken-three-wheeler-IMG_8419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if I ever were to tackle this project I'd first survey the various bike manufacturers and see which of their models are already offered with these and then see if I could retrofit them onto the FJR somehow.
I've had similar thoughts... many of the Suzuki GSXRs from ~10 yrs ago have the running light/turn signals in the mirrors. You can find them on Ebay of course but I never looked into it further...

Mr. BR

I did a home-brewed mod on my first FJR about this. I bought a strip of yellow LEDs for about ten bucks at the Progressive show (when they used to have one near here
mad.gif
). Then yad connections on both ends and you could cut them into two working strips. I stuck them to the outside edge of my mirrors with the peel-off sticky strip and tapped into the turn signal wire somewhere inside the fairing. The wire from the lights ran down the mirror stalk with a couple zip ties. A little hillbilly, but it worked great. The lights were very visible from all directions, including from the saddle, so they helped with leaving the blinkers on for miles, but I especially liked how they made a planned lane change much more obvious from the side.

I'm a big proponent of more lighting, and this was a good option for me. The glue would begin to let the ends of the strip peel off after a while, so I stuck them back down with contact cement occasionally. They were still on and working fine when I got rid of the bike--quite a while. I think it's a good idea to find something that works for you. A little extra visibility is a good thing. BTW, I like the look of those $32 mirrors Ross Kean linked to, if they hold up. Hope somebody goes for them and lets us know.

The mirrors I linked would be better if the stalks were a bit longer (assuming they even fit). That was the result of a very quick look and didn't go any further with the investigation.

I did a home-brewed mod on my first FJR about this. I bought a strip of yellow LEDs for about ten bucks at the Progressive show (when they used to have one near here
mad.gif
). Then yad connections on both ends and you could cut them into two working strips. I stuck them to the outside edge of my mirrors with the peel-off sticky strip and tapped into the turn signal wire somewhere inside the fairing. The wire from the lights ran down the mirror stalk with a couple zip ties. A little hillbilly, but it worked great. The lights were very visible from all directions, including from the saddle, so they helped with leaving the blinkers on for miles, but I especially liked how they made a planned lane change much more obvious from the side.
I'm a big proponent of more lighting, and this was a good option for me. The glue would begin to let the ends of the strip peel off after a while, so I stuck them back down with contact cement occasionally. They were still on and working fine when I got rid of the bike--quite a while. I think it's a good idea to find something that works for you. A little extra visibility is a good thing. BTW, I like the look of those $32 mirrors Ross Kean linked to, if they hold up. Hope somebody goes for them and lets us know.
Tx. for the tip!

Tx for the tip. The only thing, the genuine mirror of GEN III have only one srew.

I found these mirror https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-X-LED-Turn-Lights-Side-Mirrors-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Rearview-Mirror-Motorcycle-For-Honda/32899900935.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.9.43eb1241iNiV0n&transAbTest=ae803_4&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_3_10065_10130_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10902_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103%2Csearchweb201603_54%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=cfe394b5-9fbf-4a05-87f0-4a2425b0ec45&algo_expid=cfe394b5-9fbf-4a05-87f0-4a2425b0ec45-1

The mirror have the same screw diameter (10 mm).

My problem is where I have to plug the two wires?

I'm making the assumption that you're looking at forward-facing signals so on-coming traffic can see you. A ways back some were experimenting with embedding indicators inside the mirrors so that the rider can see them and, I guess, along with vehicles along side. Similar to like many cages now-a-days.
I've always like the idea on the outside, especially if you can leave them lit all the time like marker lamps. I've seen some set-ups where LED strips were somehow attached but none really wowed me. I think if I ever were to tackle this project I'd first survey the various bike manufacturers and see which of their models are already offered with these and then see if I could retrofit them onto the FJR somehow. For instance Yamaha's Niken comes with these but no idea if they'd be adaptable.

052818-2019-yamaha-niken-three-wheeler-IMG_8419.jpg
Very good idea! Tx.