2018 ES - Where is the Yellow High Beam Wire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a couple LED driving lights with a dimmer and high beam bypass. I can't seem to find the "Yellow Wire" i'm supposed to connect the dimmer controller to.

I've searched this forum, as well as Google. I'm finding plenty of posts saying to "connect to the yellow wire", but I can't find where this yellow wire is.

If I look to the rear of the headlight housing, on the right side, I see a connector with a bunch of blue and yellow wires. About 8 of each color. Is this the right place? They are only on the right side, not the left.

Maybe someone has a photo showing the correct wire to connect to? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks all!

Rick

Is the wiring setup for the lights the same on the LED equipped 2018 as for the H4's on earlier models?

Nevermind - I just realized that the referenced link was for the 2016 which was the first year for the LEDs

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out, the yellow wire i was after doesn't quite work for my needs. The yellow wire on Gen 3 LED bikes is +12 Volts when OFF and 0 Volts when the high beams are on. The controller I have doesn't work like that.

My next question; is the Low Beam wire the same? Does it have +12 volts when OFF and 0 Volts when on? That would work for my needs! I could wire into the Low Beams, then when I flip to High Beams, the Low Beams send the controller +12 Volts to flip the relay.

Thoughts?

What color is the Low Beam wire? I'm assuming it's in the same location as the High Beam wire.

LED-Controller.jpg

Turns out, the yellow wire i was after doesn't quite work for my needs. The yellow wire on Gen 3 LED bikes is +12 Volts when OFF and 0 Volts when the high beams are on. The controller I have doesn't work like that.My next question; is the Low Beam wire the same? Does it have +12 volts when OFF and 0 Volts when on? ...
Think you will find that, with the LED headlights, the low beam remains on when the high beam is selected. Maybe you need a relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
The red wires are the low beam. 2 minutes with a voltmeter will tell you what you want to know.

You could purchase a Skene controller and wire it as described in my first post. Or as AdamK suggests if you are looking for more functions.

-Steve

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info.

If I can't get this to work over the weekend, it's going back and I'll look at the Skene.

Have a great weekend!

Latest posts