The Other Shoe Has Dropped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

El Guapo Loco

OK... I traded for a 2012 last year. Had a '09 Road King I bought to flip, but the market for used hogs has tanked...

Love this bike. Didn't have it very long last year. Getting ready to awaken it this year BUT...

I just saw the swing arm maintenance on youtube. I'm not rich. I do my own work. That "procedure" is beyond what I am willing to try, at age 69.

Is that really necessary? What happens if you don't do it?

If it is necessary, does anybody want a really good running 2012, blue, with about 22K on it?

Any help appreciated...?

sorry there are 3 of these. site took forever to respond so i tried again...

In my opinion, removing the swing arm for maintenance is a huge waste of time and energy and totally unnecessary. The swingarm pivot is not readily exposed to the elements and does not require removal to service. OTOH, the shock linkage does demand attention, requiring periodic removal to clean and lube the bearings. Dont put this procedure off too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

Swing arm may never need serious service and it isn't especially tough to do. As SLK50 mentions, the shock linkage (relay arm) should be done. The middle and rear bearings are easy. The front isn't.

Make sure you lube the shift linkage and rear brake lever pivot.

I put over 150K miles on my '05 without servicing the swingarm with no problems. As others stated, the the rear shock linkage relay arm will need cleaning and fresh grease. Also the rear brake lever, the shift linkage, and the clutch lever should be cleaned and greased regularly.

In my opinion, removing the swing arm for maintenanceis a huge waste of time and energy and totally unnecessary.

The swingarm pivot is not readily exposed to the elements

and does not require removal to service.

OTOH, the shock linkage does demand attention, requiring

periodic removal to clean and lube the bearings. Dont put

this procedure off too long.

Can the shock linkage be removed without the swingarm and the centerstand? It seems the centerstand is a pita...

Ride more, stress less.

Lots of FJRS out there (including mine) that have never had the swingarm bearings serviced and they are still doing just fine. Is it better to do it? Certainly. Is it the end of the world if you don't? Not in the short term for sure.

OK... I traded for a 2012 last year. Had a '09 Road King I bought to flip, but the market for used hogs has tanked...
Love this bike. Didn't have it very long last year. Getting ready to awaken it this year BUT...

I just saw the swing arm maintenance on youtube. I'm not rich. I do my own work. That "procedure" is beyond what I am willing to try, at age 69.

If it is necessary, does anybody want a really good running 2012, blue, with about 22K on it?

Any help appreciated...?
Not sure what maintenance you are referring to, but just to let you know, I had 3 different FJRs (all 3 Gens), got rid of them from 75K to 88K miles, and never had a problem with swing arm, never did any maintenance.

22K miles on the '12 model is just broken in well.

I put over 150K miles on my '05 without servicing the swingarm with no problems. As others stated, the the rear shock linkage relay arm will need cleaning and fresh grease. Also the rear brake lever, the shift linkage, and the clutch lever should be cleaned and greased regularly.
I have suffered at one time or another for ignoring these minor PMs.

I have done the swing are service and when I put it together I used a marine grade grease so I could extend the time between service. Doing took time but is was easy. The best way to do the center stand is to take a Sawzall and cut the bolts off. When you put them back they go in easy from the other side.

^^^^ this ^^^^. I recently did mine, and using the manual and Brian’s video (two wheel obsession), it wasn’t bad at all. It does take a bit of time and patience. Watch the video first to see how - along with what nuances to watch out for and the work-arounds. Good luck!

At 22k miles I wouldn't even begin to sweat it yet. See if a forum member near you might be doing a tech day and there's a reasonable chance you can get some help form other more experienced owners and have it done then.

At 22k miles I wouldn't even begin to sweat it yet. See if a forum member near you might be doing a tech day and there's a reasonable chance you can get some help form other more experienced owners and have it done then.
That would be great!

How would I find out about "tech days?"

have never done mine....if it starts to growl I will..swingarm that squeaks the loudest gets the most grease...not something that will strand you..

sorry there are 3 of these. site took forever to respond so i tried again...
You may have seen this referenced before. Maybe it's time to actually read it (other folk too).

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150102-avoiding-doubletriple-postings/

Any help appreciated...?
Swing arm isn't technically hard. Just take your time and it's all cake. I don't know what videos you've been watching but one source I used to look at made things consistently harder than they needed to be.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/sa/sa.html

Status
Not open for further replies.