Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

El Guapo Loco

My take on oil is Mobile 1 15w50. Anybody use that stuff in a FJR?

I didn't change the oil when I got the bike 'cause PO said it was brand new, and it looked like it.

Talk to me...

Uh oh. Yep, in a hot weather, that will do. Welcome aboard BTW.
Some people say amusol? The price is unbelievable and nobody even sells it around here.

What do you use? And thanks
smile.png

This motor is water cooled. I can't seem to get there... Maybe I should use 10w30?

Last edited:
Oh boy, we haven't had a good oil thread in awhile. In my shop everything other than HD tractors gets Delo 400 15-40. I also like Extra Virgin just cause it sounds good.

Oil subject has been BEAT to death around these parts. Use what you can afford. The FJR will run on just about anything. I use Amsoil for really long rides or Rottella for my every day rides.

Welcome aboard.

Rob. Upper Canadian

Use an oil that meets the specifications in your Owners Manual. After that it is all opinion and anecdotal information. For heavens sake do not base your oil choice on what you read on a forum.

I was buying Quicksilver 20w50 motorcycle oil for a while from Walmart. It started out very cheap and some early analysis indicated it held up well. The price has crept up a couple bucks but still good value.

I've also used the Rotella T6 and I have a couple jugs somehow so I'll probably use it my next couple changes.

Buy, yes, any oil in the specified weight range should be fine, so long as it is suitable for bikes.

As I understand it, look for the "jaso" certification on the back as that is the cert for motorcycle suitability. And make sure it isn't "energy conserving" as those car oils are said to eat clutches (fyi, I know of one fjr owner that claims to have hundreds of thousands of miles on cheap car oil without issue, but I wouldn't do it).

Lastly, ...if you haven't noticed, oil threads tend to elicit a mix of jokes, sarcasm, and criticism. But I get it. You got a new bike and want to know what to put in it!

You are right; Amsoil is said to hold up well, but it is unnecessary in my opinion. Mobil1 synth I have heard holds up nearly as well for about half the price. But the correct answers are all the ones you've been given: any motorcycle oil should be fine. :)

Welcome! Happy riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, we haven't had a good oil thread in awhile. In my shop everything other than HD tractors gets Delo 400 15-40. I also like Extra Virgin just cause it sounds good.
Hey...what happened to Rotella? I thought you bought it by the barrel?
Not me. It's good stuff but I've used Delo since they started making the multi grade. Used to be straight weight only.

Hey...what happened to Rotella? I thought you bought it by the barrel?
Is the Delo cheaper than the Rotella T6? I am finding that it isn't the bargain that it used to be. Better, however, if bought in 5 gallon buckets instead of 1 gallon jugs.

Not me. It's good stuff but I've used Delo since they started making the multi grade. Used to be straight weight only.
I watch the local sales in my area. Last i bought was at Costco for $10.00 a gallon so I bought 10 3 gallon cases.

One Gallon of Delo 15W-40 dino is $12.81 on Amazon. One gallon of Delo 15W-40 synthetic is $45 on Amazon.

I've used Amsoil motorcycle oil for years and years, but yes, it is pricey.

Last year I switched to Mobil 1 motorcycle oil 10w40. Both synthetic, but Mobil 1 goes on sale and is easier to find at auto part stores.

I'm sure the cheaper oils are fine too but I sleep and vacation better and don't worry about it when I throw in motorcycle specific synthetic.