The North Cascade Highway SR20 is OPEN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 15, 2019

SR 20-North Cascades Highway- to reopen Thursday

4 week reopening is 2 weeks faster than last spring – shortest since 2013

DIABLO – Thanks to less snow, a dedicated crew and no major setbacks, the 37 miles of State Route 20/North Cascades Highway closed last December is on track to reopen at 9 a.m. Thursday, April 18.

The clearing process

Starting on Monday, March 25, maintenance crews from the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) worked on opposite ends of the closed section of road, completing the job two weeks earlier than last year. Less snow on the highway and in the more than 30 avalanche chutes within the closure zone coupled with no crew or equipment issues and generally cooperative weather allowed for the early opening.

WSDOT Twisp Maintenance Supervisor Don Becker who oversees the annual reopening said, “The crews always see the Winthrop ‘49er Days as the latest acceptable date to have it open, but last year, we missed it. This year, it will not only be open well before May 10 for the festival, but for the opening of the lowland fishing season April 28 as well, which is a real plus for the businesses in both the Skagit and Methow Valleys.”

Next steps

Before the gates swing open to traffic, crews will finish removing danger trees and rocks, repairing damaged pavement, guardrail and signs. They’ll also cut emergency pull outs, groom the shoulders and treat the travel lanes with deicer, sand or salt providing a safe driving surface for vehicles and bicyclists.

Remember: winter conditions remain

While access to North Cascades National Park will be restored, expect to see some“winter” on this mile-high cross-Cascade route. Plan for limited parking until snow melts, avoid stopping or parking in the travel lanes and keep a stocked emergency kit for the trip. There are no commercial facilities between Diablo and Mazama and little or no cell phone connectivity. The WSDOT Blue Lake Safety Rest Area is usually open when the highway opens, but winter damage to the utility systems will take a few weeks to repair. The National Park and US Forest Service trailheads and rest area facilities between the gates are typically not opened until a few weeks after the highway is cleared.

Highway History

The North Cascade Highway opened in September 1972, connecting Skagit River Valley communities with those in the Methow Valley.

The reopening provides:

• The furthest north route over the Cascades between western and eastern Washington.
  • Access to more miles of US Bike Route 10.
  • Access to hiking opportunities and campgrounds.
This highway will remain open until avalanche danger forces its closure for the winter, usually around Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope that's not the case Fontanaman, although, all it takes is a couple bad apples to spoil it for everyone.

Looking forward to the first ride over the hill!

~G

I really enjoy that highway once every coupla years.

Really hope that we can all just stay alert, continue to care about each other (2 wheels or more), and avoid excessive Leo involvement in what is otherwise a Top 10 road in North America.

I'm hoping it takes them until at least April 29th or I may miss opening day this year.
headsetsmiley.png

I've seen lots of WSP on that road. During the height of the season they tend to make daily sweeps along the route looking for accidents/disabled vehicles and other issues. I've never seen them running a radar trap up on the pass (that doesn't mean they don't) but I have been pulled over up there for going a little fast. Because that road passes through 3 counties and a national park, it can be somewhat of a pain to get to the proper court of jurisdiction if they write you up. Speaking of national parks, you also need to watch out for the park rangers as well. They have, and will, write you up within the Park boundaries - although I have yet to see them run a speed trap. Not so for the Whatcom County Sheriff - especially in Newhalem. Those guys seem to like the area west of Newhalem (within Whatcom County) through the town limits. Court for one of those tickets is in Bellingham right next to their office, so they have no compunction whatsoever about writing awards. If you're going to run into a WSP speed trap, it will usually be between Early Winters and Winthrop, and that's rare. The WSP office is in Okanogan, so they have to drive quite a ways to set that one up.

The toll on asshats on that road is nothing new. I don't anticipate any particular emphasis on the route. There's just too much area to cover that is too far away from headquarters for the LEOs involved. Time better spent collecting revenue closer to home. My experience is that WSP is aware of the fun factor on that road, and as long as you are not being totally stupid, they are happy to educate rather than punish. That attitude tends to change with proximity to their home base, and doesn't apply to any of the locals. As always, that is a remote highway, so being aware and expectant of unforeseen hazards is always prudent.

I've missed three openers in a row. NO MORE! Hopefully I will be able to do an eastside approach this year. Be safe!
If you do let’s meet in the middle. I expect you to be the first vehicle I see coming from the east. Still have your 07 fjr?
Yep still riding the red. Let's keep in touch as the day approaches. I thought I had the spider bites fixed after last year's tech meet but alas, it ain't so. I have to take it apart again and this time solder wires in the absence of a grounding harness. Want to get it fixed once for all. Can't guarantee I'll be first in line, but I won't be far back!

I've missed three openers in a row. NO MORE! Hopefully I will be able to do an eastside approach this year. Be safe!
If you do let’s meet in the middle. I expect you to be the first vehicle I see coming from the east. Still have your 07 fjr?
Yep still riding the red. Let's keep in touch as the day approaches. I thought I had the spider bites fixed after last year's tech meet but alas, it ain't so. I have to take it apart again and this time solder wires in the absence of a grounding harness. Want to get it fixed once for all. Can't guarantee I'll be first in line, but I won't be far back!
Get it to a dealer and let them mess with it. I think they are still fixing those issues under a recall. Better do it fast. They may open Friday or early the week after.

Here's the latest update as of 4-12 6pm.

You are subscribed to North Cascades Highway Newsletter for Washington State Department of Transportation. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

Hi all,

Week three is in the books. About 8 more miles of pavement got cleared and the east and west crews start Monday only six miles apart.

On the west side, Jim Johnson and his Kodiak snow blower made it to Milepost 154.6 ( just beyond Swamp Creek or about 2 miles below Rainy Pass.)The snow depth on center line is 33 inches now. Temps at time of photos today where 33 degrees. Snow is soft with a few inches of new powder the last few days. Ice bottom is minimal. The rest of the crew members were down the mountain re-installing the cement barriers that we remove each year after the pass is closed in preparation for potential avalanche activity along Ruby mountain which is 4 miles above Diablo Gate.

On the east side, the crew size declined as the D-6 caterpillar and the Avalanche crew's Snow Cat were no longer needed - as a matter of fact, the whole avalanche team got to go home to Stevens Pass when the clearing was completed under the last four huge avalanche chutes under Liberty Bell Mountain. From there, by Thursday, the clearing (two lanes wide) was complete past Washington Pass to the Blue Lake area.

Monday, work begins with an excavator, two snow blowers, a loader, a grader and chain saws! It's not unusual to find and remove danger trees during the clearing, but the number of them - nearly daily - wasn't expected. For the crew, it's one more way to get hurt, but Friday through Sunday when the public is allowed beyond the gates - the caution to back country visitors is check the avalanche danger before you go.

The crews will meet early next week and you can expect an opening day date and time to be set soon.

Watch for it!

Jeff, Lauren, Frances and the crew...(and if you check the flickr pics - maybe I should Mazama, too.)

2019 flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums/72157706072425041

And on the North Crashcades Hwy page there is a new menu item Motorcycle Safety. I have rarely seen a police officer on the Hwy. Generally it is one road where have to fun but now with this ya have to wonder if State Patrol presence will increase?
From the link:

Motorcycles are involved in twenty percent of all crashes along the North Cascades Highway.*

An accident involving a motorcycle obviously has a much higher probability of causing serious injury or fatality but I wonder what proportion of the total number of vehicles on the highway are motorcycles. Is 20% a disproportionally large number?

I rode hwy 20 many times every year in my years on the island and I remember many times I passed more bikes than cars. The best rides are when you see nobody.

Last edited by a moderator:
And on the North Crashcades Hwy page there is a new menu item Motorcycle Safety. I have rarely seen a police officer on the Hwy. Generally it is one road where have to fun but now with this ya have to wonder if State Patrol presence will increase?
From the link:

Motorcycles are involved in twenty percent of all crashes along the North Cascades Highway.*

An accident involving a motorcycle obviously has a much higher probability of causing serious injury or fatality but I wonder what proportion of the total number of vehicles on the highway are motorcycles. Is 20% a disproportionally large number?
20%? I can believe that number. There are a lot of bikes on that road, and for good reason. It is motorcycle heaven!! But a lot of riders push way beyond where they should and get into trouble. I know because I are one. I've ridden that stretch more times than I could count and have had my share of trouble, but thankfully, no wad-ups. There are lots of places up there where you don't want to be two-up with trouble. It is a public road, not a race track. Seems that some riders can't tell the difference: rockfall, waterfall, rough patches, and more than plenty of pylons, as uncontrolled an environment as a race track is controlled. Add the occasional forest rat and there are all the makings for disaster, particularly with inexperienced riders. Enjoy the ride but be very aware.