2008 FJR Sidestand Foot Broke Off!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flibmeister

Reaction score
I've just put my 2008 FJR up for sale, and since the neighborhood is having a community garage sale this weekend, I decided to park the bike out by the street with a "For Sale" sign on the windshield. Wouldn't you know it-- when I put the sidestand down on the concrete driveway, the foot of the sidestand broke off! Still holds the bike up fine on the hard surface, but wouldn't work on anything soft.

Obviously, I could buy a whole new (or used) sidestand and just replace it, but I'm wondering about other alternatives. The bike has a Soupy's lowering kit on it (lowered one inch as I ride it), so an adjustable side stand would be nice-- but I hate to pay $165 to put a fancy new side stand on a bike I'm selling.

Any other suggestions? I know nothing about welding, is the material of the sidestand such that a welding shop could weld the original foot, or a large washer or other replacement, onto the original stand? Does anybody sell a replacement foot that somehow attaches to the stalk of the original stand? I've seen some that use the original foot as part of the attachment to make a larger pad, but that won't work for me.

Thanks for any advice!

It should be weldable, I would think. I twice broke the arm of the center stand on a GL1000. Replaced the first, had the second welded and it lasted for years.

Never heard of one breaking before! You mentioned that the bike was lowered - I wonder if the sidestand was heated and bent to effectively shorten it? Might have made the stand more brittle.

I agree with RichDoyle that it should be weldable although might end out more brittle.

Or for $18.40, you can buy one off eBay - shipping included.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-2007-YAMAHA-FJR1300-ABS-FJR-1300-KICK-SIDE-STAND-KICKSTAND-X18/372553681265?hash=item56bdee0971:g:DMcAAOSwuNNcKrVp

Hardly worth trying to fix the original one.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The bike has a Soupy's lowering kit on it (lowered one inch as I ride it),"

Someone shortened it that didn't know how to weld.

Call around. You should be able to get it fixed for not much $.

I've welded a larger foot on mine with no problems. Just be sure to have the bike on a hard level surface with the sidestand on the bike and resting on the new foot when you tack it (with the ground as close to the arc as possible). Alternately, if you get a used one, they are easy to change out.

Thanks, all. For now, I'll try RossKean's advice-- I just ordered the one he linked on ebay for $18.40. Easiest, probably cheapest, way to deal with it. If that doesn't work for some reason, I'll go see my local welding guy.

Thanks, all. For now, I'll try RossKean's advice-- I just ordered the one he linked on ebay for $18.40. Easiest, probably cheapest, way to deal with it. If that doesn't work for some reason, I'll go see my local welding guy.
It will probably be too long and need a welder's help anyway.

Yup, that's what I was thinking-- sell it with the Soupy's kit installed, but not actually lowered any. My replacement sidestand should work, and if the buyer wants to lower the bike he can do so (even more than the 1" it already is, if he feels like it), then make whatever changes are necessary on the sidestand.

All of which I'll disclose to the buyer, of course. In fact, I think I just did!

Update:

Sold the bike, as-is, this morning. Buyer is planning to raise it to full height and is evaluating his options as to the sidestand (one of which is to install the used one I have on order through Ebay).

Thanks to all for their input!

I'm the new owner of the bike and will return it to stock height and install the replacement side stand that Flibmeister will hold for me till I return to AZ in October. It's guys that offer advice like SacramentoMike that give buying a used bike a bad reputation. Flibmeister was straight up about all the details of the bike. It short, it was a good transaction for both of us. I'll have my old 92 Harley and my new KTM 1290 Super Duke GT to ride in Wisconsin, and will have the FJR to ride when wintering at my AZ home. Life is good!

I thought I'd mention that this is the way the sale of a used bike is supposed to go: Boostmeister (whom I've never met before, but has a new winter home a few miles from me) saw my ad on Nextdoor.com, called, then came over (with his wife... gotta have the boss' approval)) to see the bike. I told him about the kickstand situation, and after test riding the bike he pointed out another small problem that I was unaware of-- so we adjusted the price accordingly and agreed to the sale. He gave me a personal check (drawn on an out-of-state bank!), which I cheerfully accepted. I signed off on the title in front of a notary the next day, and we completed the deal.

Sometimes, you just have to trust your fellow man: I knew by the way Boostmeister talked that he knew his way around bikes, so I wasn't afraid to let him test drive it. Even though he was leaving Arizona for Wisconsin 48 hours later, I also had no hesitation in taking the personal check. No red flags, no fear of fraud, just two guys doing a deal satisfying to both parties. Yes, I realize all the things that "could" go wrong in such transactions, but I refuse to live in constant fear of dishonesty and litigation.

Boostmeister, glad to hear you had a safe trip back to Wisconsin. The sidestand I ordered from Ebay arrived as scheduled, I haven't opened the package (so can't comment on it's condition), but it will be waiting for you when you arrive out west in the fall. Have a good, safe, summer and I'll see you then!

Last edited by a moderator: