FJR Has Gotten Too Heavy. What To Buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyBikes

Reaction score
Am getting older and it is time to replace my 2012 FJR with a lighter bike that will still be fun for touring. Still keeping my smaller dirt/street bikes for the desert and local cruising, but they need a big brother in the garage who can readily keep up with the 85+ mph truckers on longer trips.

Have read several threads on this topic, but many of them are dated. By way of an update to include more recent models, what would you suggest for a "twilight bike" that will let me keep riding into my golden years?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Eric

Am getting older and it is time to replace my 2012 FJR with a lighter bike that will still be fun for touring. Still keeping my smaller dirt/street bikes for the desert and local cruising, but they need a big brother in the garage who can readily keep up with the 85+ mph truckers on longer trips.
Have read several threads on this topic, but many of them are dated. By way of an update to include more recent models, what would you suggest for a "twilight bike" that will let me keep riding into my golden years?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Eric
I went with a Kawasaki Versys 1000 to replace my 2013 Feejer. I wanted lighter bike with better ergos for my left knee.

The Kawi is lighter and more "flickable" than the FJR, and has a more upright, relaxed sitting position.

You will give up cruise control if you buy anything older than the 2019 Versys, as the previous models do not have cruise.

You will also give up:

Shaft Drive

electric wind screen

heated grips

regular gas (V1K calls for premium fuel)

here is info on the 2019 model, which has many upgrades over the 2018 and previous Generation V1K.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2019-Versys-1000-SE-LT-Plus

Overall, I am happy with the Kawasaki V1K (2016), power is good, seating position is really good, handling is great, brakes are good, and luggage is ok (smaller bags than FJR).

Get a nice gen 1 fjr. They are lighter,faster and better looking. Insert smiley.

Most of these bikes except for the tracer aren't much lighter. And if they are, they are more top heavy. And likely taller.

I can tell you that I had a vstrom650 and that thing was more of a handfull than my FJR is.

My advice would be to pay more attention to height and center if gravity a but more that the actual weight number.

Maybe something like a Honda ctx with a 28 inch seat height. Can still run with the bug dogs but carries it's weight down low.

My 2 cents.

Center of gravity is the key. I'd look long and hard at the BMW 1200. Those boxer motors are low cog with cruise and no chain. Rent one for a day before buying, I think you will be surprised how easy it is to move right along without much effort.

BMW F800GT is a nice choice. Rotax twin, liquid cooled with belt drive. Under 500 pounds with hard saddlebags and available top boxes.

2017_Honda_Ruckus_Central_Florida_PowerSports_7_0c764677-c33b-4fac-99c0-7a8154aa871a.jpg

https://powersports.honda.com/Model/Overview.aspx?year=2019&urlName=ruckus

Versys 1000 gets my vote also. I purchases a very low miles 2015 last summer and have added Audiovox cruise, heated grips, crash bars, bigger windshield, and new seat. The 2019 Versys comes with cruise and heated grips but is priced much higher.

It's a little lighter than my Gen 1 FJR and seems equally quick.

Biggest down side is chain drive (also no electric winshield).

The Versys 1k is a great machine to consider. I would also suggest its smaller sibling (650). I personally have one and I can easily run at those speeds all day. The bike still weighs nearly 500lbs. But is very capable machine and handles extremely well. Maintenance is a breeze and also runs on regular octane like the feejer. The Tracer would be another bike to also consider. You have options.

Wow! Thanks for your suggestions. You are totally right, MrZappo, the important metric is center of gravity. Wish testers would measure this. In its absence I am looking at weight and taking test rides.

Yes, the FJ-09/Tracer is definitely a candidate, Canadian FJR. It comes highly recommended on many forums and is readily available as a lightly used bike. I love its big brother FJR and hope the FJ-09 test ride is not disappointing. Is there any major difference between that FJ-09 and Tracer that should steer me in either direction?

Thanks to Eagle Rider rental subscription program, I have already taken a two day trip on a BMW F800GS, so can imagine what the GT might feel like. It was easy to ride and its power per cc was unbelievable after owning several Japanese bikes, such as the Suzuki Maurader 50 (805cc) that only produced 40 hp from the same size engine. It seemed short on tank capacity and wind protection (once rode into Kingman, AZ from Flagstaff on empty for the last 30 miles), but with BkerChuck recommendation, it is still on the list of possible.

Have rented the Honda CTX 1300 and wanted to love it. But suspension was quite disappointing.

Escapefjrtist and Bugnatr, I have enough Eagle Rider points to rent a BMW R1200RT for a two day test ride in April and then again LA - Washington, DC - LA in May if the two day demo works out. Looking forward to this. Am scared of the expensive BMW maintenance reputation, but see so many bikes being sold at 50K miles (break in period for the FJR ;-), they do seem to keep running forever.

Cannot find any Eagle Rider locations that carry the Versys 1k, SouthernCruizer, but with recommendations on several forums, I definitely will be looking for a one day rental at a dealer.

And, yes Bounce, the Ruckus looks like what I will be riding when I am 90, but hope that is a ways off. And, FJRay, a Gen 1 is what had before my Gen 2. :))

Thanks to everyone for these kind comments! Ride Safe!!

This is a big reason why I keep my '93 R1100RSL. The RS weighs about 120 lbs less than the FJR and has that flat twin low CG. I had a '04 R1150RT and I found the oilhead RTs to have a very high center of gravity and the power assist integrated brakes made matters worse so I would stay clear of any oilhead RT. The new water heads can be found used with very low miles at good prices. Last summer I found a 2016 R1200RT with every conceivable option and even had a Russel Day Long saddle in leather no less with only 3200 miles! This beauty I could have bought for $15.5K and I was tempted. Main reason I didn't was I would have had to sell the FJR to keep the peace and I like the FJR too much to do that but if I didn't have the FJR I would have gone for it. I know this is just my opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the BMW wetheads are just butt ugly especially compared to the gen2 FJR, imo of course. Oh, this '16 R1200RT had two more years on the 3 year warranty with the transferable extended warranty such a deal. You can find some pretty good deals on used beemers in the BMWMOA online marketplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the understanding that it's really about a lower center of gravity. Yeah, I know what a Gold Wing weighs, but it has a heavy boxster 6 down low AND a reverse gear.

How many times have you seen them used to demonstrate how to pick up a dropped bike? Gotta be a reason ...

Have you thought about a Ninja 1000? It weighs 100 - 120 pounds less than an FJR.
I've got a Ninja 1K and though I love it for commuting (60 mile round trip), my one trip of over 200 miles was not fun. It is tuned for torque, so getting away from stop lights is fun, and its light and narrow enough for splitting lanes, but its not too comfortable for longer stretches. It's also got crazy close ratio gears so in order to get reasonably low RPM cruising on the freeway you really need to increase the front sprocket teeth and/or reduce the rear teeth - I did both. if they had used anything like useful gear ratios instead of stealing a design from a ZX10R it would have been a much better long distance vehicle. A better seat would be in order too....

Just got back to Los Angeles from a dentist visit to Phoenix on my FJR. Although I grew up in Southern Arizona, I had never realized how much good riding there is within 90 minutes of Phoenix. Warm spring weather brought out a most gorgeous array of desert blooms and the rides past Roosevelt Lake, Payson and Prescott were superb. The FJR ran fantastically well and was most enjoyable in the windy sections and and cruising curves. And, it did as well as any other bike could for the 8+ hours of slab riding to and from Phoenix. But when I almost dropped it when stopping at a badly cambered intersection only one mile from getting home intact, I was reminded again that it is too top heavy for me to keep long term.

Appreciate your additional thoughts added on what bike to consider next. Thanks, to postoak and russperry for your thoughts on a Ninja. Sat on one and the riding position did not feel that comfortable for 8+ hours stretches in the saddle. Went to Eagle Rider to check out the R1200RT. With the side cases, it looks broader than a (supply your own favorite metaphor), but am planning to ride it in the hills near San Diego and Palm Springs this coming week to see if it will fit the bill - at least for the Sea To Shining Sea Memorial Ride my brother and I are taking to WDC in May. Thanks, jammess for suggesting places that post BMW sale listings.

Have made a table with the weights and horsepower of many bikes I have owned or am considering. (Available to every who asks) Fully agree that Center of Gravity and the related force needed to right the bike is more important than weight, but have not seen any sources for this metric.

Did you consider the Super Duke GT? Biggest consideration is dealer support near you. Look at my post here traded my FJR. Happy to address any concerns!

Did you consider the Super Duke GT? Biggest consideration is dealer support near you. Look at my post here traded my FJR. Happy to address any concerns!