Heated Grips - engine have to be on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. And for OEM, I think power output is limited at low rpm - or am I mis-remembering?

Edit: Confirmed, at least for Gen II. Just checked manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don’t want any heated gear running when the engine isn’t. Too many watts for that little battery to deal with without the alternator churning.

Really? I was pretty sure I had killed my battery with the key on and engine off due to heated grips being on. Could be it was just the lights, I guess.

Like the headlights, the heated grips come on after engine start (not when key is turned on). If the engine is stalled or killed with the switch, the headlights stay on - I expect that the grips would too but haven't checked that.

No.
rolleyes.gif

OK, really, it's "yes". <insert Bustanut Joker vocabulary here>

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually tested this years ago on GenII and as I remember they don't come on until you reach a certain speed. It was like 20 mph.

Or had to hit a certain rpm in gear. It was long ago and I don't remember exactly but it was more than engine running. So put it on center stand, in gear and rev it to get grips on.

From the owner's manual (2011)(paraphrased):

Can only be used while engine is running.

TIP

When the vehicle is stopped or travelling at extremely low speeds (eg. in traffic jams), the grip warmer temperature is lower than when travelling at higher speeds.

Don't think it is off below a certain speed but isn't as warm.

It does go off. I tested the electrical part not just going by feel. I think the ground for the grip controller that comes from the ECM that goes open if not in gear and certain RPM. So that does turn the power off not lower it. This may have gotten lost in translation in FSM.

Good stuff and Thanks to All.

Will check it out after the valve clearance check is done and over..

Ok after looking at wiring diagram it looks like the low side does work with just engine running and high side works with engine running, in gear, and above a certain rpm.

Looks like low side of controller is always grounded and the high side is grounded via the light green/white wire that goes to ECM.

I stand corrected. Sorry for the confusion.