No new ride reports except for dCarver... JSNS!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Take this one you snow bit heathens!
punk.gif

https://vimeo.com/331336747

I have been riding my lawnmower. It has a V-twin Kawasaki engine. Does that count?

I have been riding my motorcycle(s) to work and back. Does that count?

I just rode around Texas in the truck with my family for a very nice family vacation. Does that count?

Soon enough Carver, soon enough you will have some decent Ride Reports. In the meanwhile your RRs are pretty darn good.

I've been riding my scope. Want I should post photos, videos, and field DOPE data? If so, do you want me to include the minimal chrono data I've accumulated so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been riding my scope. Want I should post photos, videos, and field DOPE data? If so, do you want me to include the minimal chrono data I've accumulated so far?
I have been reading a book by Bryan Litz on long range shooting. I have gone from being fairly sure I cannot shoot well to being absolutely sure I cannot shoot well.

There aren't many places in my area to stretch a rifle shot anyway.

I have been reading a book by Bryan Litz on long range shooting. I have gone from being fairly sure I cannot shoot well to being absolutely sure I cannot shoot well.

There aren't many places in my area to stretch a rifle shot anyway.
Most ranges are 100 yards around here unless you get a membership to a private range. I found a place 50 miles away that goes out to at least 900 once you qualify at 200 with <=1 MOA.

You guys wanted to get DOPEy, here ya go.

The chrono can get iffy out past about 80 to 85 yards so that's the stuff to look at. I collect the rest for references.

2019-03-20BlackHillsELDM-ss.jpg

2019-03-20BlackHillsELDM-Chart.jpg

Qualifying@1MOA@200Yards.jpg

0.9 MOA with a wind quartering from my front left @ 15 mph with gusts. Qualified on my first trip out there. Not bad since I've not shot past 100 yards on a range since the Army 40+ years ago.

.308 Remington Model 700 with Rugged Razor 760 suppressor.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/misc/pics/guns/Remington%20Model%20700.mp4

Then I swapped the OEM stock for a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis

Model700Gunformz-small.jpg

No new ride reports, eh?

Well, why would anyone post an old ride report?

PS- nice shootin there Bounce.

[bounce, that's pretty darn coolio! How is all that data collected? Is it realtime telemetry or calculated via software or?

Real time using a Doppler radar chronograph. I can then import the results into LibreOffice from the CSV files it stores on an SD card (it was a real bitch learning how to manipulate that data the first time because I've only been a casual user of LibreOffice since retiring).

labradar-velocity-front.jpg

PS- nice shootin there Bounce.

Thanks. I was disappointed. Pull that group back to 100 yards and it's a pretty big one still (at "an inch") when my goal is all in 1 hole at 100 yards if I plan to stay on a 10" steel plate at 1000 yards.

I used to reload and don't want to open up that whole can of worms again (but I can see it going that way if I'm not careful now that I have all my gun cleaning and tools set up at the new bench in The Shop). I am trying out all sorts of factory ammo to find the one the rifle likes the best. Inside and at closer distances, the P415 (that those who were at Gerlachfest saw and some shot) can put 5 rounds in the same hole. I know the Remington Model 700 in .308 can do it too if I can bring up my game.

OTOH, I spent 8 hours at the range with the Model 700 and maybe shot 60 rounds. It's methodical as you take notes, learn the scope, and collect all the info you can so replication is possible. While the P415 was 2 5 round groups for zeroing, 1 click left to correct the Eotech that had been removed and replaced after a sonic tank cleaning, then 5 round groups to finish the first 30 round mag. After that it seems that another 120 rounds were gone in various ways in less than an hour total time at the range. It's a "slow fire" range (1 round no more than every 2 seconds) and they enforce it. After the RO and I chatted during my different breaks from the firing line, I got him to okay me doing double-taps and G.I. "quick fire" drills [1] with the P415.

It's a process.

POF-P415-FullDress02.jpg

The P415 factory trigger is a very crisp 4.5 lbs while the Model 700 has a replacement Timney Calvin Elite trigger that measures in at 1.2 lbs with a little unresistant take up then a crisp release and no over travel.

Both Pew Pew with their own styles of fun.

1. Rifle at "low ready", present and fire 1 round at a 7-15 meter target without using the sights, then return to low ready. I was able to keep all on the 10" paper which is similar to qualification requirements of knocking down the reactive, O.D. Green silhouette target in Basic and re-qualifying at duty stations. Make your fun where you find yourself.