I've Been Unfaithful - To My FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyver60

Reaction score
Up until about three years ago I loved my 2008 FJR and even took it on some business trips with my suit rolled up in a bag. I retired three years ago thinking I was finally going to do some traveling and camping on the bike. Then eye surgery, knee surgery and two separate cardiac episodes for stints got in the way. During this time, my new son-in-law who races motocross, came in the picture - and I got interested in dirt bikes. At 58 years old and having never ridden one, I decided to give it a go, bought a WR250F, and fell in love with it. It has been one of the most painful (going down) and fun thing I've ever done. It's also something my 5 year old grandson loves, and we are doing it together.

After spending almost a year on dirt bikes, I climbed on the FJR last week, and it felt like I was climbing on an elephant. I probably rode for an hour and a half, but after being on the skinny lightweight dirt bike I'm not sure I really got comfortable on the FJR. I know I need more saddle time on the FJR, but I'm wondering now if I will get comfortable switching back and forth between them. In the past I always thought there was nothing better than climbing aboard the FJR, but not sure I was really feeling it last week.

I was just curious if others had much trouble going back and forth between a dirt bike and the FJR.

Different tools for different jobs. Trying taking each out for 100 mile ride at speeds above 50mph and you will like the FJR again. Take each out to a small gravel road or stay below 25mph for 30 mins and you will hate the FJR.

I love going back and forth between my dirt bikes (1983 Yam IT490/2003 KTM 450EXC) and the FJR.

Each style of riding is totally different from the other, and each makes me break out in a @#$&*%” eating grin!!

Drifting the back end of the FJR around a corner is not cool, and best left to the dual sports/dirt bikes.......

Stay with it, you will acclimate to both

Biknflyfisher

Same goes for me. 4 years ago at 52 years old I picked up an XR650L to get comfortable on dirt and gravel with my Tenere. I soon fell in love with my dual sport and switched it out for a lighter and more powerful Beta 500. Now my biggest regret in life is not buying a dual sport 30 years ago but it in no way will sour me on the FJR. I just found another way to enjoy motorcycles.

Although not a "dirt bike" switching from the FJR to the Tenere always takes a few miles to adjust, more so going from an extended period on the Tenere to the FJR. Once rolling, those big 'ol wide bars on the Tenere make it feel and handle like a light-weight. I almost feel cramped on the FJR.

~G

I do both, and they both have different styles of riding required. I find the dirt riding keeps my street skills sharper as you get used to a bike moving around a lot in the dirt, and it doesn't bother me as much on the street when the bike moves some. (tar snakes in the middle of corners or a little gravel in the turn)

The hardest falls I've had (including road racing) have been in the dirt.

Last year Pop and I each bought dual sports but kept our FJRs. There is a huge difference but Pop feels his new dirt bike experience has made his FJR riding improve. He also enjoys his FJR a lot more now that he has something different to make the comparison. I think we almost took the smoothness and power of the FJR for granted after riding them exclusively for so many years.

All threads go better with pics you know...

versus:

You'll get it. Granted you came late to the party, so that takes more time. I switch between a mountain bike (with pedals), a YZ125 (without pedals), and the FJR daily. I never think twice. The mountain bike even has the front brake on the left. Lots of moto folks switch them, to me it's just a different part of the brain. The FJR is a hippo regardless of what you're coming from. Even a Goldwing has a narrower and shorter seat.

Thanks for the replies! I will inform my family that you have instructed me to drastically increase my seat time. That is what you said - Right?
smile.png

I just added a Super Tenere to my stable. My son predicts I`ll be selling the FJR soon. I`m not so sure!

Recently I've been putting some miles on my YZF-600R, including a 4 day/2300 mile trip last week. That's a fun little bike to ride. Today I took the FJR out for the first time in a month, and it was surprising how big and heavy it felt. That thing is a beast! But after a few miles, it all came back to me. And I forgot that this thing has BALLS when it's time to pass slower traffic. It's great to mix it up a little bit.

I have been riding since I was 12.

Minibikes

Suzuki TC90

Suzuki DR350

Suzuki Katana 600

Yamaha FZ1

Yamaha Star Stratoliner

Yamaha FJR

Eleven years ago, I joined the Iron Butt Association and fell in love with the concept of making long rides in short times. Now, I am 65 and have emphysema. It takes a measured pace to just walk around without getting winded. However, climbing on my FJR magically removes 40 years. I feel strong, nimble and as weightless as an astronaut. The bike only feels heavy until I start to move. Then it simply disappears underneath me and I am magically transformed.

Ride, ride, ride... any size bike that you can find as far as you can go. It is salve for the spirit and fuel for the soul.

Peace... Mack

I bought a klr about 2 years ago to go along with my fjr. I had it for a bit and sold it for a dr650, sold it for ktm 690. The 690 is an absolute blast to ride and I find the fjr sitting most of the time. Around town and off road the ktm is awesome. I keep the fjr for long distance trips. Leaving for a cross country trip next week on the fjr. I could do it on the ktm but my daughter is going. The fjr rules on the highway and with passengers. I find the ktm rules everywhere else.

I finally spent some extended time (6 hours) on the FJR, and we are in love again. I forgot it literally drives itself - and ohhh the SMOOTH POWER! As many stated, the weight disappears once you're on the move. After being on the dirt bike so much, I kept having the urge to stand while riding the FJR yesterday.

I have a Wr250R, FZ07 and FJR in the garage. Talk about being different!!

I've put about 18,000 miles on the WR in five years here in the Ozarks.

Just got the FZ07 a little over a year ago and it is now my "go-to" bike on the street. Loads of fun to ride because its so light and nimble at 380 lbs.

Still have my 2005 FJR that now has 116,500 miles on it and it stills runs like a top. It feels like a big boy compared to the other two but when I wanna go distance in comfort its the bike for the job. Just did a bunch of maintenance on it to get ready for a 3,000 mile trip to Colorado and Wyoming the first of September.