Sidestand switch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmashVol

Reaction score
Read through some posts and want to make sure of what is wrong with my bike. Rode last weekend about 5-600 miles with no issues, came back and parked and rode to work one day. Went to get on yesterday and backed up, turned it on and it will not start in gear. Put it in neutral and starts right up. From what I read over in other posts it is similar to what others have had with their FJR's sidestand switch. Runs fine otherwise.

BTW, 2015 ES with over 38,000 on it

The sidestand switch is one possibility. Clean it well & that might do it. There is also a switch at the clutch lever that can get dirty and also keep the bike from starting. It can also be cleaned, or jumped to bypass it.

Thanks James as I searched a different way and that may very well be it. May clean both just to be safe while I am at it. Appreciate it!

If you have the OM, there is a "Ignition circuit cut-off system" diagnostic chart so you can periodically check it's functioning.

Gen 3 has the clutch and brake switches tied to the CC as well. Is there any codes popping up to point you in the right direction?

I had the same thing happen on my Gen 1 recently and it turned out to be the clutch switch that I was able to disassemble and clean/lube. Gen 3 is a different Switch.

I would go through the diagnostic chart and find what is causing the malfunction, fix that first and then clean/lube the rest of the switches:(Kickstand, F brake, R brake, Clutch, etc). My F brake switch had intermittent function at the same time. I would also be extra careful handling those Gen 3 switches, they are expensive.

Good Luck.
smile.png

I don't know that the problem is the clutch switch or not but I know it isn't the sidestand switch.

With either switch bad, the bike will not start in gear and will start in neutral. If the clutch switch is bad, after it is started you will still be able to put it in gear and ride away. If it is the sidestand switch, the engine will die as soon as you put it in gear.

It could be something else in the ignition cut-off circuit but it isn't the sidestand if the bike can be ridden after starting in neutral.

I don't know that the problem is the clutch switch or not but I know it isn't the sidestand switch.With either switch bad, the bike will not start in gear and will start in neutral. If the clutch switch is bad, after it is started you will still be able to put it in gear and ride away. If it is the sidestand switch, the engine will die as soon as you put it in gear.

It could be something else in the ignition cut-off circuit but it isn't the sidestand if the bike can be ridden after starting in neutral.
Very true provided the problem is constant. Often with little mechanical switches even the vibration of the bike starting is enough to make it work again.

Yeah it works with the side stand up and only in neutral. No codes popping up. Once I look and figure out what to do and is needed, will clean the clutch switch. Trying to find a pic of video and no luck so far. Thanks for the hint and will look in the manual.

When you have the clutch lever off the pivot, make sure you remove, clean and lubricate the brass bushing that actuates the clutch. This should be done at least annually. At least with the problem being the clutch switch (most likely), you can still ride.