55L top case locking mechanism?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oso

Reaction score
I got a Yamaha 55l top case with the 2008 FJR I recently purchased. Unfortunately, there is no lock cylinder. I have now purchased two different Yamaha cylinders for the case. One came as parts and you configure it to work with your existing key. The second one came all together with a key. Both fit the opening in the case but the problem is there is no locking mechanism or latch to turn and lock the case. Nothing attaches to the back of the cylinder to hold it in place. I have searched parts lists and can't find anything detailed enough showing a latch piece. Does anyone have this part or can you direct me to a parts number.

Thank you

Can't help you directly, all I can say is those extra latching parts are supplied with the top-box. You may have to find a Yamaha dealer and see if they are available separately.

I think I am going to be giving you bad news.

I suspect you are looking for item #2; Lock Arm Plate.

It comes with the top case, and has no individual part number.

faN2f2.jpg

Perhaps you can find the part you need at a bike wrecking yard?

Thx

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, the case is about worthless without it. Anyone got a damaged case they want to part out?

I've fabricated a latch but the key turns the wrong way. You can only remove the key from one position, assuming the locked position, 90 degrees from this is unlocked but you can't remove the key. However, the key rotates in the opposite direction from what is needed. The latch would be horizontal to engage the lock then turn 90 degrees clockwise to unlock. Mine will only turn 90 counter clockwise to unlock which is impossible because the latch is engaged against the stop and only opens clockwise. I wish I was a locksmith because this is brain tease that I can not figure out.

Your description makes my head hurt.

In case you didnt know, the lock cylinder only fits one way. See Fig 1 in post 3. One notch is bigger than the other.

-Steve

Yeah, I guess I was a little too wordy there. Essentially, the key swings 90 degrees to lock the case. The problem is the key can't be removed when the case is locked only when it is unlocked.

I have installed it the only way it goes so that it sits flush. The two nubs are different sizes so it only goes one way. I have tried both ways just for fun. I just took the lock cylinder and the case to a local locksmith. He agrees with me. It is like I need a right hand lock and this is a left hand. I know that is not the correct terminology but you get it. The above parts photo is not my case mine is this:

TOP CASE KIT - BLACK 1MC-F84A8-T0-00

This language is in the product description of the Top Case I mention above. "Lock Assembly comes with the unit itself, not with this accessory Top Case." I think that means the original lock assembly came with the bike not the case.

Aha, I need the exact set up as the right hand side case. Which works the opposite of the left one.

Good progress!

The third lock set comes with the bike so they are all keyed the same.

The lock set you have that came in parts to match existing keys, if its 2PP-F81C0-V0, the document I posted above suggests that will work, a right hand lock.

UWTx5P.jpg

-Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm beginning to think I am missing some elemental aspect of locksmithing here. I bought the above lock assembly as my first attempt to fix this. I was able to configure it to work with my ignition key just fine. However, like the other one the key will not come out when it is locked. If you take your key and look down at your side case lock, unlock and lock it you will see that the right one is the opposite of the left one. They are not interchangeable unless there is a way to rebuild them that I am not aware of. I spoke to Revzilla today but they really couldn't help other than to offer a refund on a lock assembly. So, I have ordered part 5P5-28406-01-00. This is the three lock package that is supposed to fit the side cases and top case. Hopefully, one of the will work. I'm now into this for about $110 worth of lock assemblies. No price on my frustration. ;-)

Your welcome, but something isnt right.

I dont recall the locks marked left and right when they are installed in the bags.

See this -

PjGFui.jpg

I thought it was the way they were keyed to fit the mounting hole that forced everything to come out correctly. I think the 3 set kit will get you 3 identical lock cylinders.

If you can wait till the weekend I can get my top case out of storage and take some photos, unless someone else weighs in with more info.

-Steve

Firstly, the barrels are not "handed".

I think you may have got the barrel or fitment 180 degrees out.

Here are some pictures showing mine. The first shows the key entry hole. Note which way the indent (that lets the key push the slider aside) is.

(Click on any image for larger view)

The rest of the pictures are from underneath.

Pictures taken during disassembly, locking bar in place. Note the hole at on the bar (top in the picture, bottom when the case is in position). Round the edge of the flat silver part you can see the cut-away of the chamfer that provides the turning "stops".

Locked position Unlocked

And with the locking bar removed, note the position of the "peg", also the black bit at the bottom of the fitment that gives the turning "stop" against the cut-away chamfer.

Locked position Unlocked

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve. I'm beginning to think I am missing some elemental aspect of locksmithing here. I bought the above lock assembly as my first attempt to fix this. I was able to configure it to work with my ignition key just fine. However, like the other one the key will not come out when it is locked. If you take your key and look down at your side case lock, unlock and lock it you will see that the right one is the opposite of the left one. They are not interchangeable unless there is a way to rebuild them that I am not aware of. I spoke to Revzilla today but they really couldn't help other than to offer a refund on a lock assembly. So, I have ordered part 5P5-28406-01-00. This is the three lock package that is supposed to fit the side cases and top case. Hopefully, one of the will work. I'm now into this for about $110 worth of lock assemblies. No price on my frustration. ;-)
Isn't it simply a matter of re positioning the locking bar (5)? From Sapest's picture it surely sounds like you can pick any lock when you install...

A couple points. One of my lock assemblies is like the one posted above. It has the nub on the back end that engages the locking bar. However, when installed, turning the whole assembly until it drops in, the backside with the nub is about 1/8" recessed from the plastic tube that the assembly drops into, not flush like the above photo. Still, I can install the with the nub on the bottom which is the locked position but can not withdraw the key. The only way it will turn is counterclockwise to the open position where I can withdraw the key. The above one turns clockwise in the second photo. All clock directions taken from the front looking at the key.

The second lock assembly I bought does not have the nub that engages the locking bar, It does still have the two screws though. This one does not install flush with the tube on the backside either.

Also, I tried the install directions from post 16 and got the same results.

Again, I refer to the side cases where the right and left are different in the way the key turns to lock the case. I know there is a simple answer that I'm not getting. I would gladly include photos if I knew how to attach them

Am I missing something? All Yamaha FJR luggage locks are the same. The cylinder can be installed in one of two positions (180° apart). The key can be removed in either extreme of the 180° travel. It is captured in the middle (90°) position.

A picture might help - you can upload to Postimage.org and display here using forum instructions.