No damping on Rear Suspension (2018 AS)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Got my latest AS in January, 2018. this has the electrically adjustable suspension (AE suspension in the UK, ES in the USA). At the time, it didn't feel quite right (having come off my previous bike with the same suspension), but it was winter and I couldn't do much riding.

When it came to my 6000 mile service, I complained that adjusting between Hard, Standard and Soft made little or no difference to the feel of the bike. When I picked the bike up, I was told they could find no fault with it, however they couldn't give it a good test ride because of the weather (as I recall it was horribly wet). I wasn't prepared to argue at the time.

Over the next few 1000 miles it became obvious that it was lacking damping, and this was masking any change in the adjustment. Since then, I've done two tours (Spain and Portugal, then Scotland including the Shetland Isles), and it has become almost unridable. It wallows in corners so that the back end won't track properly, and VERY uncomfortable, my back and neck taking quite a pounding as the bike's going up and down gets out of phase with dips and lumps in the road. Even on motorways the constant up-and-down could get quite painful, and at one time I was feeling sea-sick.

I have tried its various modes, both damping and preload, and I think the high-speed damping is still there, but no difference on the low-speed.

So, when I got back from Scotland (via Wales, but why take the direct route?), the bike now having about 11600 miles, I took it to my dealer.

"My suspension isn't right."

"Front or rear?"

"Rear."

"Have you come on it?" - me dressed in full ATGATT, but I suppose some people have more than one bike.

"Yes."

"Can I try it?"

"Here's the key, but just press down on it." Which he does, and nearly falls over because it goes down so easily.

Then he sits on it, starts the engine, cycles through several suspension modes, then "It isn't right."

So, that's the bad news. The good news is that my bike is still under its original 2-year warranty, and the dealer is getting in touch with Yamaha to see what's to be done. Meanwhile I won't be using it except for local shopping trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this, but I'm sure the dealer will get to the bottom of it (no pun intended). I have had my 2016ES for a year now and I'm impressed with how stable and comfortable it is at any speed. Definitely not supposed to make you sea sick! Best of luck...

Quick update: Dealer says rear suspension is leaking. He will put in to Yamaha for a new one, and "see what they say".

Will be watching what happens with this. I have a 14 ES with 135K that I would like to rebuild the rear shock. At least possibly respring it. I have a ES shock assembly that was replaced under warranty from another rider, but have yet to find some one who can rebuild these ES shock. This shock was leaking at a fitting connection, so maybe it can be repaired. Just replacing this assembly is pricey - over $3k - ouch.

Quick update: Dealer says rear suspension is leaking. He will put in to Yamaha for a new one, and "see what they say".
Is the ES shock specifically mentioned in the warranty? They may try to classify it as a "wear item" and not cover it. Hope not.

Is the ES shock specifically mentioned in the warranty? They may try to classify it as a "wear item" and not cover it. Hope not.
Can't find any warranty documents that I may have had - strange, because I am usually quite careful with such things.

If they do try that one, they will have a bit of a fight on their hands, since I was already complaining about it at my 6000 mile service. The legal term "not fit for purpose" comes to mind. However, I am confident that the dealer will be on my side if there is any difficulty with Yamaha,

Contact Ted Porter at www.beemershop.com and enquire about the ability to rebuild your ES shock
Pretty sure I have talked to these guys. While they can rebuild BMW ES shock all the time, they don't have the setup to talk to a Yamaha ES shock for monitoring performance. (at least that's what I understand). Hear the same thing from other's too. Hopefully that can change.

Today's update: Talked to dealer, apparently Yamaha have agreed this is covered by their warranty. The dealer says they've ordered everything associated with the rear suspension (his phraseology), and on receipt of the stuff they will have to find a couple of days in the workshop.

Hope this doesn't drag on too long.

Picked the bike up this evening. No time to try much in the 10 miles home in the rush hour traffic, but at least it wasn't bouncing up and down like a pogo stick. Will go for a little run in a day or so.