Todays ride to Roam Mountain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBCL

Reaction score
Left Durham this morning went to Boone, Banner Elk, to Roam Mountain, down to Little Switzerland, back up to Linville Falls, past Grandfather Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway to Jwy 421 and back to Durham. Great ride and weather was super. Clocked in 508 miles. Roam Mountain road was great. Nice and twistie.

Been through that area a couple times and loved it. We were talking about extended weekend trip options and this one came up at the top of the list.

For those searching for it, I think it's Roan Mountain, though, even though you roam through it :)

I was looking back through pics and now I remember it had been raining just before we drove up to Roan Mtn but the leaves were almost perfect when we got on the south part of the BRP. Here is on 80 headed up to Roan Mtn with some slick wet leaves:

PA054766_zpsex20wsew.jpg

And this is 261 after that:

PA054774_zpsxudi5634.jpg

My routes are a little scattered because of the rain and we did Blowing Rock and Grandfather Mtn a different trip. Sounds like PBCL did the good routes in one trip, so I'll defer to him. Also I think EOM (Eastern Owners Meeting) has had Henderson as the home base a couple times so they will have some great routes posted.

Oh, and you also have Marion to Tazewell Virginia just a couple hours north of you. That's one of my favorite roads in the eastern half of the US. They have started calling it the Back of the Dragon.

I'm going to be moving to mooresville NC later this year and will be looking for some good routes.
Do you have the rt numbers?
Google maps, pick roads at random. In that part of NC & TN you really can't go wrong. Even the forest dirt roads are quite enjoyable on this big, fat pig.

Yes Goodman4, it's Roan Mt. Typing not great. For Gray Ray, we left Boone on 105 S, to Valle Crucis, 194 S thru Banner Elk, elk Park to Roan Mountain. Pickup 143 S, picked up 261 at NC stateline, pickup 226 at Bakersville down to 221. Thats pretty much around Roan Mt. But as Rbentnail said, can't go wrong in that area. Also farer north take hwg 16N at wilkesboro and follow to tazewell, va. Great road.