Heat shield missing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I was in the process of replacing the charging cord necessitated by a new phone. In order to do that the gas tank had to be raised. I notice that the heat shield was missing. I haven't looked under the tank since I had a valve clearance check two years ago. Do you think I could bring this up with the dealer who did the work? I am taking the bike, a 2013, in for a front tire installation tomorrow.

I am having the tire replaced because I am leaving for Calgary, Alberta this coming Saturday and didn't want to take a chance on a tire with 8000 miles.

I guess I should have asked if the heat shield is necessary?

I was in the process of replacing the charging cord necessitated by a new phone. In order to do that the gas tank had to be raised. I notice that the heat shield was missing. I haven't looked under the tank since I had a valve clearance check two years ago. Do you think I could bring this up with the dealer who did the work? I am taking the bike, a 2013, in for a front tire installation tomorrow.
I am having the tire replaced because I am leaving for Calgary, Alberta this coming Saturday and didn't want to take a chance on a tire with 8000 miles.

Hard sell after two years, but who knows, it might be laying around his shop. Can't hurt to ask. I guess if you haven't noticed the heat it couldn't be too effective. There are some on ebay all the time, I do NOT know if the Gen. 2 shield fits the Gen. 3.

Hard sell after two years, but who knows, it might be laying around his shop. Can't hurt to ask. I guess if you haven't noticed the heat it couldn't be too effective. There are some on ebay all the time, I do NOT know if the Gen. 2 shield fits the Gen. 3.
Slight difference, the Gen 3 has a cutout for the throttle cables which would be easy enough to do. Apart from that, I think they are the same.

(Click on image for larger view)

Jer, you just might up biting this one and paying the $$.

Not to bad for a man of your stature!

And yes, run it.

I notice that the heat shield was missing. I haven't looked under the tank since I had a valve clearance check two years ago. Do you think I could bring this up with the dealer who did the work?
Important rule of wrenching - there shouldn't be any leftover parts. I can imagine how a careless or harried mechanic could forget to replace the heat shield, but there's no excuse for not letting you know once it turned up surplus in the shop. If you're sure it was them, I'd not only bring it up, I wouldn't leave my bike there ever again if they don't deliver an apology and a new heat shield.

Jer, you just might up biting this one and paying the $$.
Not to bad for a man of your stature!

And yes, run it.
Not sure a man of my stature understands what your are saying. I am putting on a new tire and will run it. I don't have to pay the $$ after running the bike for two. years. I wanted thoughts about any problems from not running the heat shield.

One other thought, did they replace the clip that supports the throttle cables to the frame?

(Click on image for larger view)

I'm watching from the sidelines as I need to change plugs soon on my '16 for the first time. Haven't pulled the tank on the '16 yet, and didn't think there'd be differences from my '06.

I'm watching from the sidelines as I need to change plugs soon on my '16 for the first time. Haven't pulled the tank on the '16 yet, and didn't think there'd be differences from my '06.
Pretty much the only difference is fiddling the shield past those throttle cables, and that supporting clip.

Well it's been 2 years now and the bike hasn't blown up yet. I would still ask the dealer to replace in hopes that he would. If not, find another dealer. Easy enough to do yourself if need be.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly 15 years ago, after a couple of episodes in which the gasoline in my '05 tank boiled in the hot desert sun, shooting from the filler opening when I opened it to refuel, I made my own heat shield. I picked up a roll of that shiny aluminum and plastic bubble insulator from Home Depot at very little expense and fashioned a shield to fit under the tank. I made slits to allow passage of the hoses, etc., and formed a little tab in front so that the shield would be secured by the front tank mounting bolts. Over a decade later, it still works at least as well as the factory shield. I still have most of the roll left in case I need to make another.

My mechanic warned that the engine would run hot with the shield in place. At that time, the factory did not put a heat shield under the (Gen. 1) tank. However, there was, and has been no change in the engine temp gauge on the dash. The boiling stopped and there was much less heat on my tender bits. So I guess it works fine. As we know, Yamaha added a heat shield to the Gen. 2 for 2006 and thereafter.

My local shop is the only option within 150 miles, so I have tolerate the little things. Looking back, I can't say that I have ever encountered a repair shop of any kind that hasn't screwed up now and then. Apparently, that's the "state of the art."

I have learned that I need to check the position of my heat shield after any trip to the shop during which they might lift the tank. On one occasion, after a valve check, I found my homemade heat shield wasn't replaced properly and had slipped down near the back of the tank's underside. For that matter, I usually go over the bike to make sure everything is back in place and torqued down after any visit to the shop. I suppose there is a lot of pressure from management for mechanics or their assistants to get things done in as little time as possible, and I have found little errors now and then. Since I am not interested in doing operations much more involved than the regular oil change, I find it is well worth the little effort required. WBill

Nearly 15 years ago, after a couple of episodes in which the gasoline in my '05 tank boiled in the hot desert sun, shooting from the filler opening when I opened it to refuel, I made my own heat shield. I picked up a roll of that shiny aluminum and plastic bubble insulator from Home Depot at very little expense and fashioned a shield to fit under the tank. I made slits to allow passage of the hoses, etc., and formed a little tab in front so that the shield would be secured by the front tank mounting bolts. Over a decade later, it still works at least as well as the factory shield. I still have most of the roll left in case I need to make another.
My mechanic warned that the engine would run hot with the shield in place. At that time, the factory did not put a heat shield under the (Gen. 1) tank. However, there was, and has been no change in the engine temp gauge on the dash. The boiling stopped and there was much less heat on my tender bits. So I guess it works fine. As we know, Yamaha added a heat shield to the Gen. 2 for 2006 and thereafter.

My local shop is the only option within 150 miles, so I have tolerate the little things. Looking back, I can't say that I have ever encountered a repair shop of any kind that hasn't screwed up now and then. Apparently, that's the "state of the art."

I have learned that I need to check the position of my heat shield after any trip to the shop during which they might lift the tank. On one occasion, after a valve check, I found my homemade heat shield wasn't replaced properly and had slipped down near the back of the tank's underside. For that matter, I usually go over the bike to make sure everything is back in place and torqued down after any visit to the shop. I suppose there is a lot of pressure from management for mechanics or their assistants to get things done in as little time as possible, and I have found little errors now and then. Since I am not interested in doing operations much more involved than the regular oil change, I find it is well worth the little effort required. WBill
Thanks for the information. I wll purchase some of the insulation and put it in place the next I lift the tank.

As posted, the Gen I's didn't have a shield. It helps with temperature comfort for the rider (and heating the tank from engine heat).

I bought and tried to install a Gen II shield however if wouldn't fit (very different).

At the time, I then bought an aftermarket, heat blanket (someone designed and sold it here) which was insulation with the silver on each side, much thicker than the later Yamaha shield.

Last edited by a moderator: