Installed LED Headlights today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COGnosticator

Reaction score
As the title says, I installed some LED headlight bulbs today and you'll wonder where the yellow went LOL

I got them from John at Advmonster

169379209.iNBDEKZS.jpg

I got some LED headlights last year but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. I have Clearwater Ericas on the bike and with them at minimum brightness, the stock halogens look like a couple of candles. Gotta get that done along with some rewiring of the Clearwater Ericas and Glendas. I want to take the front cowl off to do the electrical stuff. Easier to do the LEDS at that time. Also want to clean, lube and adjust windshield mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
put Cree on last year...very bright white..much better beam...and the volt meter went from 13.9 to 14.1 volts with the LED....big improvement all around..

Funny you should mention LED headlights. I installed a pair today, the F2 ones. Considered it a complete success as I am bleeding from only 4 places on the back of my hand :weirdsmiley: .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-F2-LED-Headlight-72W-12000LM-Cree-Chips-White-6K-Driving-Front-H-L-Bulbs/223491975158?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=aa55bc6ba02d47f0b1f2c064792b84b5&pid=100675&rk=4&rkt=15&sd=333213212424&itm=223491975158&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:2fe96bf9-92ea-11e9-9e0d-74dbd1807c5d|parentrq:7213911216b0aadad8a08dc3ffd76bf7|iid:1
How did the rubber boots fit on those bulbs? (I know, with great difficulty!) I see they have a short fan length. Did you slit the boots to get them on over the fan?

How did the rubber boots fit on those bulbs? (I know, with great difficulty!) I see they have a short fan length. Did you slit the boots to get them on over the fan?
I have the same bulbs. The bulb/fan disconnects from the mounting base. Put the mounting base in the housing, put on the rubber boots, slide the bulb end through the hole in the boot, twist the bulb to lock it in place, and you're done.

I have the same bulbs. The bulb/fan disconnects from the mounting base. Put the mounting base in the housing, put on the rubber boots, slide the bulb end through the hole in the boot, twist the bulb to lock it in place, and you're done.
I could not get the bulb to click into the mount base without some boot modification. I cut off about 1/4" of the ID, worked fine after that.

I am looking to replace my stock bulbs. With all the talk about led bulbs and stock reflector optics I will be interested to see how the H4R2's cast out their light. Also, the product description on the ADVmonster site says both high and low beam's are both 5800 lumens. Shouldn't there be a difference??

I am looking to replace my stock bulbs. With all the talk about led bulbs and stock reflector optics I will be interested to see how the H4R2's cast out their light. Also, the product description on the ADVmonster site says both high and low beam's are both 5800 lumens. Shouldn't there be a difference??
With the ones I used, your concerns are unwarranted. I used Xtra-Vision bulbs previously. Note I ride mainly rural, even for commuting. My observations of the F2:

- the cutoff is quite distinct, exactly the same as halogens;

- the LED light pattern is a bit more forward than halogens, not as much out to the side;

- Xtra-Vision halogen bulbs have slightly better pattern coverage on low beam. The LEDs are far superior on high beam;

- I feel I need to split the difference with the LED same as I had to do with the Xtra-Visions. Low beam needs to come up a little and high beam down a little;

- if it weren't such a giant PITA I'd try rotating them a little to see about better side lighting. The head lights on my Gen2 have a horizontal adjustment, I might mess with that some. The halogens were great out to about 45 degrees, the LED maybe 35. As it is I'll probably let it be for now.

I plan on getting some pictures of the beam pattern of the H4R2 this morning. It is 3:30am right now and since I installed 2 Brothers exhaust I will wait a while before I piss off the neighbors LOL

Stay tuned

OK, it is now 5:15 and not worried about neighbors LOL

Here are the light beam patterns of low and high beam. I measured from the floor to where the bulb was in the headlight bucket. I measured that distance on my garage door and put a piece of blue tape across the door. The low bean high cut off is just above the tape, the high beam goes a little over the tape. The bike headlight is 20' from the door. I haven't tried it on the road yet though. What do y'all think

Low Beam

169385648.DGmm0iPS.jpg

High Beam

169385649.eYEXxcd9.jpg

Ok, so I went back out and backed up to 25' and adjusted the low beam to where it was just under the blue tape, then turned around to point the bike down my driveway and took some pictures

Low Beam

169385656.GP9pQfSN.jpg

Highbeam

169385657.E3Y6Y8em.jpg

You appear to be losing a lot of light in the foreground (when on High Beam). The High Beam does not seem to have a decent 'spread' of light, and appears concentrated as a 'narrow beam' directly ahead of you.

I believe you may need some secondary lighting to support the High Beam performance.

As always, perception from photos viewed online can be very different from real life experiences. What are you thinking Jerry? Good enough?

FJR Steve, I noticed the same thing. I am going to mount some aux driving lights that I just received yesterday that should help.

One thing though, I don't ride at night and can't remember the last time I did, doesn't mean I won't.

I need to take these down the highway for a test, just didn't feel like it this morning

Two points ...

1) If you don't ride at night, this is an expensive and time-consuming upgrade. Especially if you're adding auxiliary lights.

2) "Brights" leave a dark spot in the foreground? While true, this is insignificant when riding at night.

When you ride through the darkness with bright lights, you are looking for objects in the far distance, like your neighbor's door (on the left) or the mailbox and brightly reflective something way down there. If those features aren't alarming, you don't need to see them again until your bike gets very close, where your photo shows they will be lit up brightly once again.

I think your headlights are properly aimed.