Air conditioned helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This actually isn't the first version of an air conditioned helmet. I remember reading in Motorcycle Consumer News back in the late 1980's or early 1990's about AGV bringing out a full face helmet with some form of air conditioning and they tested it. I recall it being way too heavy and testers getting headaches because of how it cooled your head. A quick search showed one on Ebay right now, I don't think they were offered for cery long.

Interesting idea. I've played around with some piezo-electric cooling projects as a hobby, but this seems pretty neat. If only it came in a modular.
https://feherhelmets.com/collections/helmets/products/ach-1-gun-metal
A piezo-electric device can move a small amount of air. A Peltier device (or thermoelectric cooler) will actually cool something using more than just air movement. Typically configured with a heat sink (on the outside) and a fan. (I think that is what this helmet uses) At 1450 grams, the weight doesn't seem out of line. I would want to see some solid reviews before buying!

Interesting idea. I've played around with some piezo-electric cooling projects as a hobby, but this seems pretty neat. If only it came in a modular.
https://feherhelmets.com/collections/helmets/products/ach-1-gun-metal
A piezo-electric device can move a small amount of air. A Peltier device (or thermoelectric cooler) will actually cool something using more than just air movement. Typically configured with a heat sink (on the outside) and a fan. (I think that is what this helmet uses) At 1450 grams, the weight doesn't seem out of line. I would want to see some solid reviews before buying!
Yeah, I wound up playing with some Peltier CPU coolers attached to a fluid cooling block to see just what effect you could get with a small cooler. Never went anywhere with it though.

I want one of those cooling suits the Nascar drivers have. Strap in a cooler full of icewater on the passenger seat, turn the little pump on, and smooth, cool, cruising, for a couple of hours. Ice is cheap compared to being miserable.

I want one of those cooling suits the Nascar drivers have. Strap in a cooler full of icewater on the passenger seat, turn the little pump on, and smooth, cool, cruising, for a couple of hours. Ice is cheap compared to being miserable.
Had one of these and used them for WFO9. It worked pretty well. Haven't used it much once I stopped riding the hot Gen1 FJR when it is 100+ degrees.

Same question I have for every new gadget-y helmet I see (rear-view, built-in lights, even one where the outer surface, or "skin" on the outside of the helmet could slide over the shell of the helmet, theoretically reducing impact shock (??) ) The question is: is the helmet worth a poop? Is it going to protect my head and be comfortable, is it quiet at all, that kind of thing. The gadgets are just the bells and whistles.

Off topic warning: Glenn at Clearwater Lights is developing an actual air conditioner (not a cooler full of ice) that mounts on the tail or back seat--about the size of a GI ammo box. The prototype works. If I find out more I'll pass it along.

There was an AC jacket being sold (and seriously heavily-pitched) at different IBA events (and on line). They kept calling it a prototype even when units were being delivered to those who could afford the high cost. All I heard from owners was that it under performed and was prone to failing. Eventually they evaporated faster than a bag of ice inside your jacket on FM170 in June.

Because of that bystander scene and a couple of items I got sucked into that never delivered, I no longer do crowd funding. It's a crap shoot and you aren't pre-ordering because there's no guarantee you'll see the product or get your money back. Saving 10% isn't worth it so I wait for products to be on the shelf.

My AC consists of an evaporative cooling vest and a wet bandanna under the helmet. Rinse, ride, repeat. Found myself riding in 113 degrees one time and survived it, barely.

I've found using a light colored helmet (white or silver) gloss finish is not as hot as a black or flat matt finish. I have ridden in temps up to 121F near Baker,

CA on I-15 in late May several years ago. We opened the face shield one notch. Every time we came to a service area we poured cold water inside our jackets. It was miserable but not intolerable.

MCNews did an articles years ago about just that issue.

They put temperature probes in 2 identical helmets and measured the differences. There were essentially none. You're wearing the equivalent of an ice chest on your head because of the styrofoam liners. Like with black v white cars in the direct sun, both will heat up to the same max internal temps given enough time.

So, time and vents are the big differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
They put temperature probes in 2 identical helmets and measured the differences. There were essentially none. You're wearing the equivalent of an ice chest on your head because of the styrofoam liners. Like with black v white cars in the direct sun, both will heat up to the same max internal temps given enough time.

So, time and vents are the big differences.
Bingo Bounce! My head doesn't get that hot. With great vents, and sweat you have a great AC system like a cool vest using evaporation. An AC suit is what is really needed. Someone needs to perfect that.

Tell that to this guy...
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/175786-helmet-color-vs-temperature.html#/topics/175786?page=1

I always choose light colors because of visibility. Venting of course makes a big difference.

But venting only really works when you are moving. What the Goldwing guy did shows to me if you're stuck in traffic, not moving and the sun is beating down on your helmet, a lighter colored helmet will be cooler than a black one.

A helmets insulation is not really perfect, the holes in the liner to allow venting when moving also allow shell temperature to breach that insulation when you're not.

This said... I never really noticed my head getting "hot" on a hot sunny day as much as the rest of my body. Given that you cool faster the more your bodies total surface area is exposed to the cold and your head is a small percentage of that, I would say on a hot day you'd not be able to notice any appreciable difference wearing a white helmet over a black one....(unless of course you had on that air conditioned suit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone remember these in JC Whitney?

1-Airline%20scan2.jpg

swampcooler2.jpg

Off topic warning: Glenn at Clearwater Lights is developing an actual air conditioner (not a cooler full of ice) that mounts on the tail or back seat--about the size of a GI ammo box.

The wife is going to be p----d when she is told she's been replace by an air conditioner. LOL