Pretty darn good routing app - free - kurviger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
BaseCamp is such a turd to route with.

My.Maps.google.com is better but doesn't offer 'curvy' roads option.

So I tried this and it's pretty coolio. (kurviger)

And it exports to .kml should you want to import into my.maps.google.com so you can save them for use later while riding.

Give it a try.

Whatcha think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I played with Kurviger as a phone app some time ago. Never did much with it. I went to the web version (and the little trip you had in your link). I have just been experimenting with exporting files as .gpx and importing into Basecamp to convert to a route suitable for my Zumo. Had to play with it a little and I couldn't reproduce your exact route in Basecamp until I changed my BC profile to remove "unpaved roads" avoidance. (Your route apparently had a little unpaved section? - at least as far as BC was concerned)

Much nicer interface than Basecamp and I will give this a try the next major trip I do. I will have to check VERY carefully that the transfer to BC is correct AND the transfer from BC to Zumo is correct - I have been burned on the latter before!

Thanks for the link!

Edit - just playing some more. Route changes dramatically depending upon the options you choose in terms of "curviness" (four boxes to choose from). To avoid interpretation errors (especially when transferring routes to Zumo via Basecamp), make sure you use enough route-shaping points. You can add them AFTER Kurviger picks the route based upon desired level of curviness. The route shapers are "hard" points on the route and not subject to interpretation by Kurviger or Basecamp (or your Zumo).

Link changed so my home Addie isn't revealed...

Ross, regarding 'unpaved roads', yes, the first segment of the route you played with is dirt, about 3 miles.

..and one must be careful with unpaved roads and mapping software.

bing maps, google maps, basecamp, don't clearly indicate unpaved roads.

using google maps satellite view sometimes works if zoomed fully in. Street view rarely works for roads I like to ride..

Waze is the best tool I've found so far for dirt road identification. It has different colors..

Under Advanced Options, IIRC, you set in kurgiver no unpaved roads too. If Kurgiver and BC have same options, the route should be close.

Sure wish the stupid Garmin would simply play, verbatim, the desired route.

..and Thanks for tip of adding 'Intermediate' points in Kurgiver to 'force' the route. Good Stuff.

..and you can force Kurgiver to a specific road by left clicking the desired location. That creates what BC would call a via or waypoint..

Still haven't found how to change the route in Kurgiver like you can in google maps or BC... by clicking, holding, dragging to new road.

..and you can force Kurgiver to a specific road by left clicking the desired location. That creates what BC would call a via or waypoint..
Still haven't found how to change the route in Kurgiver like you can in google maps or BC... by clicking, holding, dragging to new road.
Left click on your route and that will make a hard waypoint on the route - don't need the right click menu. Now, you can drag that waypoint anywhere on the map. Easy-peasy. Effectively the same as Google map routing...

Don - Is there anything unusual about this stretch of highway?

https://kurviger.de/en?point=35.455007%2C-120.40123&point=35.46843%2C-120.378056&point=35.458643%2C-120.335054&point=35.454448%2C-120.32527&locale=en&vehicle=motorcycle&weighting=curvaturebooster&additional_weighting=&ch.disable=true&use_miles=true&elevation=true&show_turn_instructions=true&document_title=Parkfield1&avoid_unpaved_roads=true&avoid_small_roads=false&layer=Esri%20Streets

There is nothing that I can do to make Kurviger take the shortest route between waypoint 1 and 2. I have tried all of the settings and have tried adding multiple waypoints in that stretch. Have also tried the different "curviness" settings. No visible discontinuity in that section of highway and Google Maps doesn't have a problem with it.

Guess it just goes to show that ANY routing application has to be checked pretty carefully over the course of the route!

This app rocks! While here in Europe it has routed me down some crazy goat path of roads that I would never have found. I just need to be careful..... it can turn a two hour route into a wonderful, crazy six hour rollercoaster ride!

Don - Is there anything unusual about this stretch of highway?
https://kurviger.de/en?point=35.455007%2C-120.40123&point=35.46843%2C-120.378056&point=35.458643%2C-120.335054&point=35.454448%2C-120.32527&locale=en&vehicle=motorcycle&weighting=curvaturebooster&additional_weighting=&ch.disable=true&use_miles=true&elevation=true&show_turn_instructions=true&document_title=Parkfield1&avoid_unpaved_roads=true&avoid_small_roads=false&layer=Esri%20Streets

There is nothing that I can do to make Kurviger take the shortest route between waypoint 1 and 2. I have tried all of the settings and have tried adding multiple waypoints in that stretch. Have also tried the different "curviness" settings. No visible discontinuity in that section of highway and Google Maps doesn't have a problem with it.

Guess it just goes to show that ANY routing application has to be checked pretty carefully over the course of the route!
Definitely a bug. Succeed twice by taking tiny small increments but unreliable for that section of road! Google maps work fine.

I think you must be running an older version of Basecamp - my screen is different!

I haven't really used Kurviger although I did a little playing with it.

When I did export, I also ticked off Track and Waypoints - no idea if I needed to.

When playing with the program, I noticed it made a big difference depending on which routing preference you choose - highway to very curvy. Again, I don't know if it was necessary but I more closely defined the route with "hard" waypoints. Easy and if you do this then there is not much need to transfer a "lot" of route shaping points. I don't know how the Zumo will handle them but if your GPS is bluetoothed to helmet speakers, waypoint announcements every few minutes might drive you crazy. As I said, I haven't actually used it yet so I don't know whether these points would all be announced or not. (I think you can tell Basecamp not to...) An unnecessarily large number of points makes the file larger and slower to calculate - especially on my older Zumo 665.

The curvy feature might help you discover some interesting possibilities and I would use it for that but I think I would create the final route using the "Fastest" or "Fast and curvy" options with exact route forced with added waypoints.

As mentioned above, it is easy to left click a waypoint anywhere on your existing route and then drag it to any street/road you want. Same as with Google maps. Haven't determined whether there is a limit to the number of waypoints - very limited in Google Maps. You can also route up to an intermediate destination and then right-click and "extend route to" the next stop.

I like the altitude graph inset on the main screen.

Beginning a route, I didn't use the "From" and "To" boxes, just right-clicked on the map to "set as start" and "set as finish" to get the start and end of the route. Shape from there.

I still need to do some more stuff with this - especially creating and transferring to Zumo. I think it is worth the effort. While I can manage in Basecamp, it is sometimes slow and frustrating. The Basecamp advantage is that its maps exactly match the Garmin Zumo maps. Also, if you are working from a laptop away from an internet connection, Kurviger doesn't work but Basecamp does since the maps live on the computer.

Under Advanced Options, I told it to "Place Waypoints on Street" to make sure it doesn't try to direct you somewhere you don't want to go.

Spent 2 days messing with now. BaseCamp and Garmin just SUCK.

Still, there is a way to make it all work.

Pretty sure my next GPS won't be Garmin. Maybe TomTom? There web based routing app allows for 'Curviness' AND 'Hilliness'. hmmmm.

My testing did provide definitive 'BEST' export options from Kurviger to BaseCamp to Zumo.

https://candybuttorg.ipage.com/cba/node/750

I'm waiting for Google/Android to produce a GPS.

May be waiting a looonnnnggg time since they'll just tuck it into their next phone.

Bastards.