Rear axle not going back together-what am i doing wrong

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've had my tire and axle (and the drive shaft pumpkin) off for several weeks while I do some cleaning/maintenance on my 2009. Today, I changed the tire and attempted to reassemble the rear axle but something is amiss. Everything seemed to go together fine until I started torquing down the 27mm axle bolt. Once I got to the amount where I needed to start using the torque wrench, I noticed there seemed to be more thread of the axle protruding than I could remember . Sure enough, I looked on the right side and noticed the larger diameter portion of the axle about 1/2 inch into the swing arm instead of being flush. When I rotated the tire, it also met with heavy resistance, even with the brake caliper removed.
I've disassembled the rear axle and compared it to the parts diagram and there doesn't seem to be anything missing. On the right side the axle goes thru, meets the ring with the large inner diameter then the caliper housing and ABS sensor assembly (yes, the notches on the ABS aligns with the caliper). On the other side of the axle is washer and bolt. When I tighten it down, it pulls the axle through and there is a gap between the brake caliper and the swing arm of about 3/8" and the axle is that amount past flush to the swing arm. It's almost as if the swing arm is suddenly too wide. I even tried putting the axle in flush and tightening the pinch bolt before tightening the axle nut, but when I eventually did, the pinch bolt wasn't strong enough to hold the axle where I had set it.

I'm missing something and I can't figure it.

Did you miss any spacers? There is one inside the pumpkin side and another one outside the brake disc side.

Maybe #21 ?

Have a look at FJR1300.info (edited Not com ) , rear wheel removal page, check out the 4th pic down, theres a washer and a collar thats needed. You have those installed ? ( cant link the pics on my IPad ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe #21 ?Have a look at FJR1300.info (edited Not com ) , rear wheel removal page, check out the 4th pic down, theres a washer and a collar thats needed. You have those installed ? ( cant link the pics on my IPad ).
Yup..you nailed it!! Funny thing is, as I was putting it back together, I knew something was missing and thought that collar should be there, but, if you look in that diagram, it's not shown. The washer is listed and I had it installed properly but I keep all the parts together and when it wasn't with the rest combined with it not being apparent inn the parts drawing, I had to convince myself I was confusing that part with another one of my bikes. I did look and see and sure enough, the Honda has one so I figured I was experiencing a brain fart or something.

Glad you took the time to source that picture for me. Thanks.

Now I just have to find the missing part.

Had a similar situation, and to Mac's point, Cycle Gear had removed the spacer (don't need it on the tire changer machine), and neglected to put it back. I caught it before installing the wheel, but had to return 8 miles to the store to retrieve it. Lesson learned? You bet - spacers stay at the house, placed on the axle in the order and orientation of their install.

glad you figured it out!

Pic; will remove link if asked.

PinchBolt.jpg

I've learned to take a pic of the site before disassembly. Lay out the parts in order of removal and take another pic. This saves a lot of guess work.
This is a great habit to get into and one I have adopted. However, in this instance I figured I had done this enough times that I didn't need a reference picture. Lesson learned.

Pic; will remove link if asked.
Exactly. Believe it or not, I watched two youtube videos on fjr rear wheel removal and both somehow omitted a view like the one in the picture. It probably took me 2-3hours of double checking my doubt before I started the thread here. Probably should have come here first.

I think the initial problem is that spacers often stay with the wheel, it's not obvious they are a separate item. Until you are familiar with the wheel and its spacers, it pays to be very careful. Particularly when a later model FJR has different spacers.

Well, I still need help.

I tore the garage apart looking for the spacer and could not find it. I suppose it was kind of a blessing in disguise because in the process, I found another part that had fallen out of the rim when I placed it on the bench several weeks ago. It was another spacer (part # 32 in this diagram: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50046b25f8700209bc796968/drive-shaft).

But the collar spacer in question could not be found.

The existing issue I stlll have is I cannot find the part number for this as it really doesn't seem to be on the parts diagram. To clarify, the part I need is the T shaped collar spacer in the last picture on this page:
https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rearwheel.html

On the bright side, the garage is looking much cleaner now.

I think that the part you THINK you are missing is NOT something that goes on a 2009 ABS bike!
Parts.jpg

The "T" shaped collar/spacer is something that you will see as #22 on this parts fiche. You can also see it on the photo posted above in Uncle Hud's post (#11).
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50044e2af8700209bc791546/rear-wheel

A Gen I non-ABS bike was used for that rear-wheel tutorial. (Same with the parts fiche I referenced; 2004 non-ABS - compare that to the parts fiche (for the '09) that you referenced)
The ABS does not have that part at all.

I suspect that you are not correctly placing the washer...

Look at this one for ABS. The washer is to the left of the cyan arrow and between the caliper holder and the thicker part of the axle. Axle goes through swingarm, then through the washer then the rear brake parts and then the ABS sensor ring housing (and then the wheel, through the "pumpkin" and out the other side). The ABS ring actually takes the place of that extra "collar" you are looking for. (The cyan arrow is pointing at the thick end of the axle.)

Edit:  The posted links are no longer valid - too bad!

https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=34

Well, you were right. What more can I say? I guess I got that spacer confused with my XRL 650 as I was positive thats the part I was missing. I guess this is what happens when you reach 50...but most of you probably already knew that. Thanks for all the help.

280_zpsjyeduev7.jpg