Buying a New Shock: Spring Rate Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am interested in getting a new shock for my 2008. My dilemma revolves around ordering the spring. I do ride two up, on a very rare occasion, about 2-4 times per year. (My wife is a VERY fair weather rider.) My question is this: Do I buy a shock sprung for two up and pay the extra for a hydraulic preload adjustment, or do I get a shock that is somewhat in the middle as far as spring rate and damping? I understand that the latter will be a compromise when riding both solo and two up, but I'm wondering just how much.

I weigh about 230 in gear, and my wife weighs about 170 in gear. When riding two up, I will use my Givi top case, but it only weighs about 7 lbs (It's the V40). Do I get a shock that is sprung somewhere in the middle for these two weights? I can deal with a little extra spring when riding solo. But when riding two up, I absolutely hate it when the rear sags due to the pillion weight.

So, for those of you who have aftermarket shocks and rarely ride two up, what did you do?

Thanks!

I have an Ohlins with a preload adjuster I run with a 900lb spring and the preload set for soft and it is a bit harsh but perfect for twisty's. When I load up and haul the trailer I run the spring to hard and the bike still works great.

I have two of these that I had for sale but left town for a couple of months and haven't bothered to up date the listing. Link to listing.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/175674-two-ohlins-ya-707-rear-shocks-for-sale/

I have an Ohlins with a preload adjuster I run with a 900lb spring and the preload set for soft and it is a bit harsh but perfect for twisty's. When I load up and haul the trailer I run the spring to hard and the bike still works great.
Kevin, you are not answering the question being asked unless you state how much weight you are carrying on your 900lb spring riding solo and when you are loaded up with trailer.....and.....different subject....preload does NOT change the spring rate and make the spring soft or hard.
Hopefully George will respond to this question since he has real life experience with similar rider and passenger weights.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Hagon shocks preload hydraulic adjuster indicates that it can add 160 pounds of preload fully applied. So I told them what I wanted weight wise for just myself and no luggage or camping gear. Fully loaded, Im about 140 pounds of gear. Wifey is slightly more, not saying how much. So thats how I ordered it.

As it turns out, by myself, with the spring fully unloaded, its perfect. But when I have all of the camping gear and luggage, it doesnt take nearly 140 pounds of hydraulic adjustment.

As '007 says, I'm in a similar situation with rear springs. My solution was to buy a second spring for my Penske. Best $100 I have spent.

Solo, I run a 850# spring. With 10mm of preload and a mostly empty trunk, the ride is pretty sporty. Add bags and pack for a multi-day trip and the ride / handling is simply awesome. Switching to two-up and loaded for a multi-week trip, I swap to a 950# spring with 15mm of preload. I also increase the ride height adjustment a couple mm. With these changes, no rear end sagging and you won't know you have a passenger!

Springs can be swapped with the Penske shock in place on the bike. Takes me about 1/2 hour to make the change.

Good luck!

~G

Well Steve good call. I weight about 250 Lbs and I run the preload on the lightest setting, even when I load up for a a long weekend I don't usually turn it up. I really can't tell you how much weight I carry, I'm just not that analytical like you I just let my butt tell my tummy that I should play with the settings.

I'm done here, my apologies to the OP.

Thanks so much for all of the replies guys. I have a line on a brand new TFX shock. However, its spring for a heavier rider than me. He weighs 290, I weigh 200. Is that enough of a difference to really make a huge deal? I prefer my suspension on the stiffer side, Ive always preferred my track bikes set up that way.

I thinking of getting it, but as always, your thoughts are welcomed. Thx for any help you guys can offer.

Thanks so much for all of the replies guys. I have a line on a brand new TFX shock. However, its spring for a heavier rider than me. He weighs 290, I weigh 200. Is that enough of a difference to really make a huge deal? I prefer my suspension on the stiffer side, Ive always preferred my track bikes set up that way. I thinking of getting it, but as always, your thoughts are welcomed. Thx for any help you guys can offer.
General rule of thumb is that you can go up or down 2 sizes (100 lbs) in spring rate without having to revalve. Since your original question was for a single spring to use for both solo and 2-up riding, it sounds like the shock you are considering would split the difference. Hopefully it is valved correctly for the spring size and has both preload adjustments and damping adjustments.