Reuben Run to YFO: What to do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigRegs

Reaction score
So I assume more than a few folks will be hitting both events. I'm trying to put together a rough itinerary for the days in between, trying to figure what I might see, where I might go, and if there might be a couch, backyard, or floor to crash on, and who wants to tag along. My one goal is to ride as much of the PCH between the two as possible. BaseCamp shows about 570 miles of PCH from Florence, OR to the Golden Gate Bridge. So that's a couple of days, say Tuesday and Wednesday. Take Thursday to go SF to Virginia Beach Settlement. Suggestions for Sunday and Monday? Head north to Hwy 14 along the Columbia RIver? That could set me up for even more PCH. Other things locals can suggest?

REVERSE ALL OF THIS. Sorry, I miss read your direction.>>> The Pacific Coast Hwy, PCH as you refer to it isn't always great. In CA, you should do CA Hwy 1 from SF to Leggett, instead of US101.unless you want to see the wine country and associated traffic. Souther Oregon is great until Florence, as you will spend more time inland than next to the Ocean. After Bandon, you will want to turn left on Seven Devils Rd. and ride it to Charleston, then Coos Bay or North Bend. After Waldport, stop at Seal Rock, and for sure go out and climb up on the rock and meditate with the ocean waves. It is special. At Newport, go inland and turn left on OR229, Siletz Hwy, it will be a nice break from the Ocean cities and traffic. It comes out just before Lincoln City. 101 goes inland, mostly farm communities, you can take Brooten Rd to Pacific City. They put Dories in off the beach there if fishing is good. You can stay on the coastal route, but don't go past Nietarts unless you want to eat in Oceanside. The road around by Cape Mears is closed for construction (for 3 years now). If you need another break from the coastal area, you can head North after Tillamook on Miami River Rd and OR 53 to US 26, then back to the coast. In Seaside turn right on Wahanna Rd. and immediately a left on Lewis and Clark Rd. it will take you to Astoria, where you can ride to the top of the Mtn. and see the Astoria Column. Great view. Cross the Columbia River and head West on 401 and WA 4 to Longview. At Woodland, to to Cougar then to Carson. Left on WA 14 to The Dalles, to Maupin, Bakeoven to Saniko to Antelope, to Madras to LaPine.

Thats my suggestion today. Ask me later this month and I will have another idea. Like take US 12 to Randle and FR25 to FR99 to Windyridge. To much to see, get the picture.

Have fun what ever you do.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another option with lots of coast...

https://goo.gl/maps/3nd1nNnE4yxSLcqx8

Depending on your choice of route, I can offer other suggestions... I'm waiting for Bugnatr to chime in here soon as well.
wink.png

Be flexible Craig, the weather and forest fires may dictate some of your routing. PCH is slow going in places but if the coast is what you want we have it. Can't go wrong with either the Trinity Alps (NW Ca)or the Sierra's. I can help at the Ruben with routes.

Oface and I plan to ride a few days after the Ruben and ending up at my place Wednesday with Gramps and Mrs rolling in that day. Heading to YFO on Thursday.

Can't guarantee a bed but we have room for camping or a couch
default_smile.png

If it was my choice, I would head south on 97 to Yreka and west on 96 to 299 and on to the coast. spend the night in Fortuna and eat at the Eel River. Breakfast the next morning at the Samoa Cookhouse. head for 36 with a full belly and spend a few days terrorizing the Trinity alps area. Go east and do Lassen and the roads in the northern Sierras ending up in Bridgeport to do the Sierra passes.
punk.gif

These are all good ideas, especially Bugs saying be flexible due to forest fire smoke.

The Southern 1/3 of the Oregon Coast is moderately entertaining. The northern 2/3s is a tourist trap suitable for leisurely pursuits, seeing museums, watching sunsets hiking, flying a kite and the like. The Oregon Dunes are near Reedsport and you can rent a dune buggy and go play. The most impressive view along the Oregon Coast is at Cape Sebastian.

The California coast is foggy a lot in the summer and this includes September. It will be 55 degrees along the coast and 85 or 90 five miles inland. If this is the case head for the mountains.

I will take a different approach here in recommending roads.

Oregon

One thing about Oregon. Gravel lines the road's shoulder so there is gravel in right hand turns. It is nasty.

Hwy 245. This maybe a bit out of the way but it is one fine road.

Hwy 218. The best road in Oregon. Period. The Rueben run is near enough to do this in a day.

Hwy 38. The second best road in Oregon. Tyler included this road in the route above.

Along the coast from Brookings Oregon to Legget Ca two hundred miles and a bit of a yawner. The Redwoods are the attraction here.

California

For masochistic try the goat trail, called the Mattole Rd, out to the the Lost Coast. It is paved - at least most of it. The bonus is you can see great views of the ocean in a pastoral setting with cows on the beach. I will never ride an FJR on this road again. I might do it on a Dual Sport bike with lots of suspension travel weight less then 400 lbs.

Hwy 1 from Leggett to Westport. This is one of the better roads in California. Simply awesome. Interestingly enough this is the twistiest bit of Hwy 1 and it is not along the coast.

Hwy 1 from Westport to Fort Bragg. Pretty entertaining pavement right on the coast.

Fort Bragg has good accommodations for a good prices. In fact this is great place to spend a day or two and do some loop rides.

Hwy 36. One of California's finest roads. Just outside of Red Bluff you will find this:

qgs4i7k.gif

Hwy 1 from Monterey to Morrow Bay. Great road if it is not foggy. If you choose this road you will likely go over the Golden Gate Bridge down along San Jose. It is a bit of slog and timing is everything. If you chose the Golden Gate don't miss the View Point. Hwy 1 from San Fransisco to Santa Cruz is a bit boring.

California Mountains!

Hwy 70. Follows the Feather River. Some nice cruising but tight turns are lacking.

Quincy to Orville. One of the top 10 road in Northern California. Not to be missed if you choose the mountains.

The La Porte Road. For a grand day ride this and the Quincy to Orville Road.

Hwy 49. Very nice and even has a morbid deadman's turn sign courtesy of a home owner.

The there is the Passes in the Sierras. Wow! Great fun. Find Hwy 50, Hwy 88, Hwy 89, Hwy 4, Hwy 108 a personal favorite, and Hwy 120.

Hwy 245. A great road south of YFO. Want to avoid the Yosemite crowds go here. Might be a stretch for a day ride and there is no good way to get there aka you get dumped into Fresno. Avoid the Yosemite crowds by leaving at first light.

Be flexible Craig, the weather and forest fires may dictate some of your routing. PCH is slow going in places but if the coast is what you want we have it. Can't go wrong with either the Trinity Alps (NW Ca)or the Sierra's. I can help at the Ruben with routes.
Oface and I plan to ride a few days after the Ruben and ending up at my place Wednesday with Gramps and Mrs rolling in that day. Heading to YFO on Thursday.

Can't guarantee a bed but we have room for camping or a couch
smile.png
Follow this lead!

i don't know if you're more of a sightseer or a rubber shredder, but if the latter you should definitely try to fit in Skaggs Springs Road. It connects 101 near Geyserville with PCH at Stewarts Point north of Bodega Bay. The eastern part of the road is literally a road racing track disguised as a public street. Beautiful asphalt, wide 2 lane road that twists and turns through rolling hills with great sight lines, but nearly zero debris since the hills are not sharp or overhanging the road.

The western part is pretty much the exact opposite - a narrow two lane goat track through the coastal hills and forest.

But between the two it is an absolutely delicious 38 miles if you can fit it in

If it was my choice, I would head south on 97 to Yreka and west on 96 to 299 and on to the coast. spend the night in Fortuna and eat at the Eel River. Breakfast the next morning at the Samoa Cookhouse. head for 36 with a full belly and spend a few days terrorizing the Trinity alps area. Go east and do Lassen and the roads in the northern Sierras ending up in Bridgeport to do the Sierra passes.
punk.gif

YES This is where I go to round off square tires after a long flat trip
default_smile.png

Wow, I know there is far more than I can cover on such a short time, but all of this is great input. Ill be nose-down in the atlas and Basecamp for a while!

For masochistic try the goat trail, called the Mattole Rd, out to the the Lost Coast. It is paved - at least most of it. The bonus is you can see great views of the ocean in a pastoral setting with cows on the beach. I will never ride an FJR on this road again. I might do it on a Dual Sport bike with lots of suspension travel weight less then 400 lbs.
Wow, I know there is far more than I can cover on such a short time, but all of this is great input. Ill be nose-down in the atlas and Basecamp for a while!
Craig, we could keep you busy out this way for weeks if not months! I would say pass on Mattole Rd... it's called the "Lost Coast" and there's a lot of lost but only a little bit of coast and the road is fubared... given your time constraints, I'd skip this one and find one of the many other (better) options...
default_wink.png

Craig, we could keep you busy out this way for weeks if not months! I would say pass on Mattole Rd... it's called the "Lost Coast" and there's a lot of lost but only a little bit of coast and the road is fubared... given your time constraints, I'd skip this one and find one of the many other (better) options...
wink.png
Tyler. Every fng needs to ride Mattole
smile.png
I did it this spring on the KLR which was the right bike however it's worse than ever for a street bike.

I do believe he needs to ride Titlow Hill / Forest 1 from Ca 299 to Mad River Burger Bar on hwy36. Great road on any bike at a mellow pace.

Come to think of it I need to ride that again!!!

default_wink.png
default_smile.png
I did it this spring on the KLR which was the right bike however it's worse than ever for a street bike.

I do believe he needs to ride Titlow Hill / Forest 1 from Ca 299 to Mad River Burger Bar on hwy36. Great road on any bike at a mellow pace.

It's gonna be harvest season up in them hills. Best to stay on the road and keep moving.

You have to remember that 36 is still under construction repair from last winters ( or the winter before ) storms. It’s basically closed from 8am to 5 pm weekdays ( 3pm Friday’s ) and it only opens between noon and 1pm during the week, with 30 minute backups to get through the zone. I’d steer clear of 36 this year for a while.

Festar and I did this on the way to Rays several years ago (2014 i recall). It is one of the finest roads I've ridden in Oregon.

There is little traffic. We had a few miles of well maintained gravel at the Burns end. Nothing to be scared of, and the rest of the road made it all worthwhile.

https://goo.gl/maps/cFJ4Nh4Qrrykdbqo6

wink.png
smile.png

I was eyeballing Mattole Rd on Google maps...But it sounds like the goat trail I endured into Mariposa in '17. I'm pretty sure I can find a better ride, even if I give up a bit of "edge-of-the-continent" riding. Again, thanks for all the inputs!