JUST A bLURB

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Friends were doing the Alaska trip thing about 40 miles N. of Whitehorse, Yukon territory, four bikes in the group, 2 lane blacktop, beautiful weather, first two bikes passed a semi heading N. (this was Sat. morn. around 1100hrs) as the 2nd pair of bikes (my friends) began to pass, the trucker put on his turn signal and simultaneously pulled over forcing them off the road and into the tall grass. Two messed up bikes and riders. Airlifted from whitehorse, one now home bruised and with a broken ankle, the other in Harborview ICU with a broken left wrist and possible internal injuries that do not appear life threatening. Speed was not an issue, just enjoying the ride, now wondering where their bikes ended up and what the RCMP is doing, hopefully there were witnesses . The main point of this posting is just to get you folks conjecturing and giving thoughts to your own safety.

"trucker put on his turn signal and simultaneously pulled over"

Do you have more info? Trucker signaled right or left? Pulled over right or left? Bikes passed on right? Not sure if I understand....

my sympathies for the riders

"trucker put on his turn signal and simultaneously pulled over"Do you have more info? Trucker signaled right or left? Pulled over right or left? Bikes passed on right? Not sure if I understand....

my sympathies for the riders
left and left

When I pass a truck, I don't take anything for granted I start out well behind in the left side of my lane. I make sure I have a clear view of the driver's side mirror - if I can't (clearly) see it then he can't see me. When I decide to pass, I don't dawdle - I will not attempt to pass following a car that is overtaking slowly. I pass as quickly as I can and make sure I am well in front of the truck before I pull back into my lane. I get very nervous hanging out beside a truck - even if the driver sees me, I can't help but think about the effect of a tire blowout! (Same reason I don't follow closely behind a truck. Tire blowout, debris kicked up by a wheel and lack of visibility ahead.)

Not suggesting it was the fault of the bikers - I wasn't there. Truckers have to maintain good situational awareness and most VERY regularly check their mirrors, especially before doing anything (braking, turning changing lanes etc.) Unfortunately, motorcyclists often are not sufficiently aware of the trucker's blind spots and limited maneuverability. The fact that they are both a smaller visual target and more vulnerable than a car should make the rider take extra care. In an encounter between a transport truck and a motorcycle, it doesn't matter who is right, the bike loses every time!

USDOT_Truck_blind-spot-crash-prevention-1024x536.jpg

I'm with Ross - when it's time to pass, I do NOT mess around. I like to get on the left side of the passing lane to give me just a little more buffer in case the vehicle I'm passing does something stupid. Even though I may have a dotted yellow marking signifying I'm free to pass, what makes me more nervous than the vehicle I'm passing is the driveway or minor side street to my left or (worse) to my right. A vehicle pulling out from the left side may not look both ways. For that vehicle, checking left is natural and self-preserving. Checking right requires extra effort. Still worse, a vehicle at the right intersection might be impatient with the truck. And it likely can't see me passing (the truck is blinding its view). And I may not see it until it appears in front of me. That scenario really concerns me.

I have and still pass occasionally on the double yellow. I'm not proud of it, mind you. On the twisty roads, if slower vehicles won't pull over, I usually give them about 15 curves. Then the first chance I get, I'm overtaking them. But I don't that as often and as hastily as I used to. I'm trying very hard to reign in my riding a little. Been pushing it a bit too much lately. Be a little more patient. Choose my times to ride aggressively much more wisely - when ALL conditions are right for it.

conjecture is healthy. While my friend was being admitted, in the er on an adjacent bed (separated by a curtain) was another motorcyclist being evaluated, my friends wife said it was horrifying to listen to the conversation which I will repeat none of. Keep thinking when riding.