Fork Seals Didn't

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeh

Reaction score
i recently replaced the fork seals and upgraded the springs to Racetec 1.0g.on my 200 gen II. I filled the tubes to 100 mm from top, sans springs with a 5 wt Amsoil shock fluid.

After even a short ride, the upper tubes are moist with oil. I thought the seals might set and stop the fluid after a few days of commuting but it hasn't changed.

Are you sure you didn't install the seals upside down? What kind of driver did you use? Fork seals don't "set up". They either work or they don't.

I think the spec for Gen II is 92 mm from top. Is there a difference with these springs?

Just a note - the oil level is measured with the forks fully compressed.

Assuming the seals were installed the right way around (easy to do otherwise!), I would say that you either nicked the lip of the seal when installing or you have scratches on the fork tube.

Hey Joeh,

I'm guessing you probably didn't nic / score *both* tubes (you seemed to indicate you were seeing fluid on *both* tubes).

Maybe as dravnx suggested earlier, you just don't have the seals fully seated?

I would guess you have the seals in upside down. Pull you dust caps and you can check them. If you see the metal band on the inside near the tubes, then you have them upside down. If that is not the case, then as others suggested, do you have them seated all teh way and did you put the snap ring back in. It will only fit if the seal is all the way down where it goes.

Just curious, what brand of fork seals did you install? Yamaha, or something else?

I used some store brand fork seals on two of my kids dirt bikes a couple years ago and they both leaked like a sieve. Replacing them with factory seals fixed it.

I installed the seals I got from Racetec along with the upgraded springs using a piece of 2" PVC. pushed them until I could put the clip back in and they felt seated. I can see the spring from the top. I assumed the tapered edge of the seal and the flat bottom went down. I was afraid they might be upside down and AuburnFJR confirmed my fear.

Thanks for all of the input.

I installed the seals I got from Racetec along with the upgraded springs using a piece of 2" PVC. pushed them until I could put the clip back in and they felt seated. I can see the spring from the top. I assumed the tapered edge of the seal and the flat bottom went down. I was afraid they might be upside down and AuburnFJR confirmed my fear.
Thanks for all of the input.
Always look for the spring, that is what keeps the rubber against the fork tube when the pressure is applied by compressing the fork. Always put the spring down. When I rebuild forks and the tech meets, I always show this to people because most don;t know which way they go and why.

I assume you have the tools to torque the fork cartridge back together. If so, you can pull the forks apart, Use heat and use should be able to get them apart without damaging the bushings or seal. You will most likely need a little more oil to supplement what is lost during disassembly.

If you don't have the tools, then you can carefully use a pick and pull the seals out. Since they were just put in, you may be able to do it without damaging them. I would do any pulling on the outside edge (flower fork tube side) since those are not the sealing surface. you might be able to get them out without damage and be able to reuse. Worst case you will be out two new seals. Patience will be your friend while trying this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of doing fork seals in a Victory Vision and the fork seals have springs on both sides so it would seem either way would work. I went through a bunch of manuals including the FJR book and they all say the side with the numbers should go up so that is something else to look for. Just a thought.
smile.png