Valve Cover Rubber Slipper Installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2019-08-09 Valve Cover Rubber Slipper Installed

published by dcarver on Sun, 08/11/2019 - 10:03

Forums:
KrZy8

2019-08-09 Valve Cover Cam Chain Slipper Installed

It all started with a stumble off idle so did a compression test where I discovered a pooched valve cover gasket leading to oil leak. Replaced gasket then at first start up, engine seizure due to MIA valve cover slipper which normally resides over cam gears on underside of cover.

Bought new part, should be easy to install, two dimples, press fit and I'm gonna glue this sucker this time...

But first, my 'how to glue gasket to valve cover trick'..

Used this for first attempt to glue rubber slider to valve cover.

Before gluing used suspension cleaner to eliminate all oil.

The slider piece.

Hold in place while adhesive dries.

Better yet!

FAIL miserably. After 4 hours of dry time, removed weights and the piece popped right up.

Looking at it, I saw what's happening is air is being trapped under the dimple, causing compression

and the piece to lift away from glued surfaces.

Two little pin holes release the air. After that fix, the piece holds in place tight, even without glue.

I glued it again anyway, using YamaBond4.

Setting up.

This worked very well. That piece is secure, would take a screwdriver to remove.

The End

It's for sure that Don wins the Shade Tree FJR Wrench Award. Using basic implements for weight in the shade of his tree and a multitude of bikes to screw up /repair.
punk.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think I'll go put the carbs back on the mighty KZ and see if it is happy and ready to go home in a few weeks.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator: