FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
We, of course, do not allow copyrighted material to be posted on the public domain.

So, we can not (and will not) post Bulletin M2007-016.

HOWEVER......

I happen to, um, know someone who read it.

And this individual happened to, um, drop me a casual email - yeah, that's it - with some of the highlights within this Altitude Surge Fix notice.

Which I was able to paraphrase for y'all. However, it's still problematic to post them here.

Still... if it was further obfuscated by turning the excerpts into Flashpaper, then those pesky Google-bots and other web-crawlers wouldn't be able to search for key phrases.

Therefore.... you can read these excerpts https://www.fjrtech.com/mods/FJR_AS_fix.swfright here. Substitute the word "Yamaha" when your see the word "Manufacturer".....
biggrin.gif

NOTE:

If you have trouble opening the Flashpaper document.... you may not have Flash enabled in your browser. You can always get the free download and install it right here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just contacted my dealer about the bulletin. Gave them my vin and guess what my bike is not included acourding to him. Well he said he is going to have the sevice manager call yamaha and ask them whats up. Hopefully I hear something good tomorow. Reading the bulletin if I am reading it right it states that mine is included in the FJR1300AVC/AWC RP15Y 0000001-0000744 group. My vin is this: jyarp15y26a000152. It is a 2006 fjr13avcl. Please tell me if I am right or wrong. Damn I hope I'm right.

My vin is this: jyarp15y26a000152. It is a 2006 fjr13avcl. Please tell me if I am right or wrong. Damn I hope I'm right.

It appears to me you are included.

Looking at the Flashpaper document, here is only one line of RP15Y numbers.... and the range is 0000001 through 0000744 on that line.

So your ending VIN of 000152 would seem to be included....

My vin is this: jyarp15y26a000152. It is a 2006 fjr13avcl. Please tell me if I am right or wrong. Damn I hope I'm right.

It appears to me you are included.

Looking at the Flashpaper document, here is only one line of RP15Y numbers.... and the range is 0000001 through 0000744 on that line.

So your ending VIN of 000152 would seem to be included....

Thank you very much for the confirmation. I will stop by the dealer on my way to work tomorow so I can show them what I have. I think maybe he looked at my vin wrong or something. Hopefully I get a phone call from my dealer with some good news before I have to go down there. Thanks again.

Warchild,

Thanks very much for the info. This is what it took to finally get some action out of my dealer, after an entire summer of blowing me off. After calling him myself regarding the TSB, service manager called Yamaha, got the scoop, and ordered the new ECU. Maybe it was my imagination but he seemed a little contrite when he called me back afterwards. After all he'd been the one to tell me I'd have to pay them $75/hr to ride my own bike to see if they could duplicate the problem.

Thanks also to Truwrecks and everyone else who participated in getting this taken care of.

Medium Al

Thanks also to Truwrecks and everyone else who participated in getting this taken care of.
Here here to thanks with emphasis on a certain nameless someone that helped contribute some proprietary data that flashpaper document was inspired by. ;) You know who you are. It's just too bad Yamaha won't make this fully available on their public website.....

WC,

If this is a technical bullitin relating to a safety issue, Why can't it be posted?

The one for the instant MPG Fix was posted and I downloaded it.

I understand the copyright yada yada yada crap, but....

I'm just glad we have members like Warchild and others who go out on a limb to have Yamaha make good when things are wrong. My hat is off to all of you.

Tom

Thanks to you all! My bike appears to be among those affected (RP15Y96A000066). I regularly commute over a 4000' pass (from 250' msl), but have been making do with the Barbarian jumper mod first and a PC-III after it became available.

I'll see if Yamaha mails me the letter (until the end of the month). If not, I'll present the M2007-016 copy to my dealer.

Thanks again!

Well just contacted my dealer about the bulletin. Gave them my vin and guess what my bike is not included acourding to him. Well he said he is going to have the sevice manager call yamaha and ask them whats up. Hopefully I hear something good tomorow. Reading the bulletin if I am reading it right it states that mine is included in the FJR1300AVC/AWC RP15Y 0000001-0000744 group. My vin is this: jyarp15y26a000152. It is a 2006 fjr13avcl. Please tell me if I am right or wrong. Damn I hope I'm right.
co425, my ending vin is 000135, seems I was 17 bikes ahead on the assyembly line and mine seems to be included as well. I too somewhat confused as aftere the RP15Y there is "26A" then the zero's going into the number. Not sure where the "26A" comes into play but all else seems right. Still waiting to hear back from my service manager as he supposedly called Yamaha on Monday. Seems I now have my ammo. Yes. Thanks again to all concerned. :yahoo: PM. <><

Your karma account is much higher, again. Thanks. BTW, called my dealer today and they claimed nothing was showing on their service sites. I told him to look harder.
My dealer told me that he always checks the yamaha service site and they always show new bulletins on the front page - but this was not showing, but since he had the number from my email to him, he looked further, and there it was, down in the section with all the prior bulletins. Apparently Yamaha does not want to "alert" the dealers, but rather, let them that need it, "find it".

Kurt

Thanks for this post, I really appreciate it. I thought that I would have to stop, pull over and restart whenever I change altitudes but glad to see that won't be necessary.

co425, my ending vin is 000135, seems I was 17 bikes ahead on the assyembly line and mine seems to be included as well. I too somewhat confused as aftere the RP15Y there is "26A" then the zero's going into the number. Not sure where the "26A" comes into play but all else seems right. Still waiting to hear back from my service manager as he supposedly called Yamaha on Monday. Seems I now have my ammo. Yes. Thanks again to all concerned. :yahoo: PM. <><
I think the rp15y is the year the 26A i dont know. But the last 6 is and the rp15y is what I asume is the proper range. I should hear back from my dealer today if not i will go down there before work.

Got the new "FIX" ECU installed in my 2007 AE yesterday. My dealer took my word for it and called Yamaha Tech Support and was sent a new ECU for installation in my bike. THANKS TO THE POSTERS ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!

It seamed to run great on the way home but since I'm in FLorida, I couldn't check altitude sensitivity.

As soon as I got it home I did the Barbarian Mod and checked CO Settings. As installed it was: #1 = 5; #2 = 18; #3 = 18; & #4 = 21

I added 7 to all cylinders and it runs great but I'm wondering if maybe it didn't need the addition and that Yamaha has added a little to the CO numbers for the replacement ECU's.

I think the rp15y is the year the 26A i dont know. But the last 6 is and the rp15y is what I asume is the proper range. I should hear back from my dealer today if not i will go down there before work.
Here's a nice VIN tool that will tell you what each digit means.

Link

In your case it breaks down to: (Each VIN is 17 digits)

1-Region: Asia

1-2-Country: Japan

2-3-Manufacturer: Yamaha

4-8-Model Specific: RP15Y

9-Check Digit: Valid

10-Year: 2006

11-Assembly Plant: A

12-17-Serial Number: 000152

I'm a bit surprised that the Technical Bulletin didn't ask the dealer to read the original ECU CO values before installing a replacement ECU. One would expect that if the CO values were important they would have included instructions to either copy the CO values from the old ECU to new ECU or specified a rivnut/EGA procedure and set new values as required. We just know that this couldn't be an oversight ;)

It would be interesting to see what the Barbarian jumped ECU owners find with before/after values. If you are having your ECU changed you might want to record the original CO values before the swap.