Important Information for New Users!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
As a new member there are some important features you should be interested in and questions you might have.
POST HERE FIRST!
As a new member you must first introduce yourself to the board before you will be allowed to post elsewhere . Although you can view other areas, you won't be able to post in those until you post here first.

It's easy!

Click on New Topic towards the upper right, put something in the Topic Title, write an introduction about yourself in the subject, and then click Post New Topic at the bottom.

Now either wait for the replies or feel free to wander off and start posting on other parts of the board.

ACRONYMS and OTHER TERMS
Board Specific
FNG - Fucking/Frickin'/Flippin' New Guy. Probably derived from the military. (Title given to new forum users with less than 25 posts. After 25 it changes to another term). Not to be confused with the user FNG which occasionally has an icon of a Fat Naked Guy. Other board title descriptions are posted here.
GUNNY! - Our equivalent to the response "+1" or "Me Too". Some people feel compelled to jump on the bandwagon and post that they agree without adding any new thought of their own. After being called out for this habit by our practical and thoughtful member Gunny....the unwashed masses rebelled in spectactular fashion and now use his name as an alternate to the dreaded "+1". To add insult to injury they'll sometimes amass copious amounts of exclamation points as in "GUNNY!!!!!" and even add stray emoiticons. Previaling advice is if one ever gets tired of wading through the masses of threads because of inane chatter by the mob.....well you've been warned that they'll eat you alive if you question what they believe is their constitutional right to meaningless banter.

Yamaha Specific
PDP - Priority Delivery Program. Yamaha system for 2003-2006 FJR's where people pre-order their FJR
YDS - Yamah Dealer System. The computer system that Yamaha Dealers use to track Yamaha orders.

Forum, Motorcyling, and Internet General
IMO/IMHO/SIMHO - Strictly In My Humble Opinion....
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly....
WTF - What the Fuck?
BTDT - Been There Done That
STFU - Shut the Fuck Up
TMSAISTI - That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It
ATGATT - All the Gear All the Time
SASE= Self-Address Stamped Envelope
YRMV - Your Results May Vary
NEPRT - Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads. Aspire to not have your thread moved here.

PERSONAL PHOTOS
A feature has been enabled on the board that you can upload your personal photo. Click on My Controls towards the upper right, and then on the left looke for Change Personal Photo.

There you can enter the web address of an existing photo (for those folks that have them on a web server somewhere) or you can upload one.

Two critical limits are the file size cannot be larger than 40KB nor can the picture be larger than 300 pixels by 300 pixels.

If you want a reference, My Picture is 300 x 300 and a 33KB .jpg file.

If you're not sure how to determine these or how to get your picture under these limits--feel free to PM me.

It's optional of course, but it would be great to put faces to the user handles.

Pretty similar to Personal pictures except the limit of the picture is 150 x 150 and 40KB in size. If it's larger than that you'll have to find an image editing program to reduce it or crop it.

Click on My Controls, then Edit Avatar Settings, Upload a new image from your computer, click on Browse...., find the photo you have on your computer, double-click on it to choose it, and then Update Avatar.

WHAT'S THIS WARN THING?

The warn system is a feature of this board to let people know if they've acted or posted inappropriately. If you follow The Forum Guidelines you have nothing to worry about. This board is about FJR motorcycles first and foremost. We should all try and stick mostly to that topic, thereby keeping the FJR signal strong and noise of off-topic issues to a minimum.

It's a method where a administrator can to let a person know privately they've run afoul of the guidelines, instead of just shouting them down in public....which may add fuel to a already tense situation. The warning is logged for future reference and a PM sent to the person. You can't see other's meters and they can't see yours. Only you and administrators can see your meter.

If a user receives more than one warning additional measures can be taken including moderating posts of a person before they make it to the board, or in special/ongoing cases of violating guidelines suspending a user for a period of time.

Another way to think of it is as your 'karma meter'. 0% is a full karma. Receive a warning and it goes to 50%...or you've used up half of your karma. Typically a person would get two warnings before more drastic measures would have to be taken. One can restore their karma by doing something extraordinarily supportive or positive for the board.

Or, if you don't want to restore your karma and after a month or so the indicator bugs you, ask an administrator nicely via PM to have it restored and they likely will accommodate your request. Remember your indiscretion still remains part of your log if future consideration of your behavior needs to be revisited.

POST COUNTS
This board is about FJRs and we strongly encourage a healthy diet of FJR posting content. Your posting count will be increased when you participate in discussions that are principally related to FJRs. Posts in thread areas like Jokes and Fun Stuff, Completely Off-Topic Discussion, Testing, Classified, and other miscellaneous threads are not counted. If you have to ask why your post isn't being counted...and counts are important to you.....you probably should be posting and contributing MORE to FJR content on this forum. We all appreciate a healthy FJR content diet.

HOW MANY MEMBERS ON THE BOARD?
Q: The count shows like 5000+ registered members. Where are all of them?
A: First and foremost there are spammers continually registering and trying to hock their wares on this site. For the most part, we're able to block them and they never bug us. They probably account for several thousand of those account. Second, some people come and then go. As of 3/28/07 there were about 1800 members that had posted in the previous 6 months. This is probably closer to the actual membership. What is clear is that FJRForum.com is the most active and biggest board for FJRs on the Internet.

RANKING TITLES or "PIPS"
Originally discussed here.

MEMBER MAP
We have an additional feature for members of the FJRForum. It's our
FJRForum Member Map

It's zoomable, pannable, and each pin is clickable to show username, city, state, and other data.

Update your Profile to Be Included!
You can be added to this map by clicking on My Controls, then Edit Profile Info, and entering your City, State two-letter abbreviation That's your city, followed by a comma, followed by a space, and then followed by the two letter capitalized abbreviation for your state that post office recognizes. Example: Houston, TX

It does not mean adding anything else. "near Sacramento, CA" won't work. Adding USA won't work. Spelling out the state won't work. Etc. The format is very specific.

The alternative is to put your decimal degrees latitude and longitude in the format xx.ddddd, -xxx.ddddd Example for my humble abode is 46.2631, -119.20422 The 46 puts it along the northern U.S. The -119 shows Western hemisphere along the West coast. And the two combined cross in SE corner of Washington State.

Degrees, minutes, and seconds format will NOT work. If you want to convert it, try
here

Users of Microsoft Street & Trips (and presumably others) have a location sensor if you want to get the direct readings. I couldn't immediately find an online resource, but you can fiddle with Mapquest....unless somebody finds a better option.

Canadians and people outside the United States can take advantage of this decimal degrees option or those folks that want to actually tell us where your FJR is at.....and we can come steal it at night
ph34r.gif

The Technology
It uses
Google Maps to pinpoint the city that people have put in their user profile. I was able to download that data some weeks ago and convert most of it to latitude and longitude required by Google Map.

You can also click on an icon. The member's name, city, state, and website (if you specified one) display.

I'd call this release 1.0. What was holding me up were two major things.
1) It wouldn't work in Firefox. It works now.....I think.
2) If people are from the same city it only showed one person no matter how much you zoom in. I have randomly moved people from the same city.....just a little bit so they all display. (Did you know there are 8 FJR owners from Houston alone)

The Future
I have plans for future enhancements including customized icons for different users and FJR friendly dealers and whatever I can accomplish with my meager programming skills. Maybe I can even figure out how to pull data live from the forum to populate the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.