Well, I CRASHED again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a bummer. Sorry to hear the bad news again. I understand the humanitarian and animal lover thing, but IF there's a next one....you or the cat, take the cat! Hope you feel better soon.

Hope you recover quickly. That really sucks. I think this makes my argument (and many others) that ABS is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I personally think one can train very hard and still be "shocked" enough to over apply the brakes in a "sudden", "unexpected" situation. JMHO Besides I would rather not have to try to co-ordinate front and rear with just the right amount of each to make a maximum stop without losing it.

Oh, after almost killing myself swerving to miss a rabbit many years ago, I have managed to train myself to be prepared to kill anything thats not bigger than me and not human. I also limit my swerving to a controllable level only.

LC

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete and total bummer. Obviously, though, things could have been much worse.

Gear looks like it did it's job pretty well.

Stupid-ass cats.

Sorry to hear about the git-off.

While you probably never actually hit the cat, there is a secret to the stray ones.

The more you run them over the flatter they get.

Bob

Once again, glad to hear you had on gear and minimized injuries. Hope that ankle heals up fast, sounds like a great excuse to call in to work for a few days, rent a bunch of movies, and put the cooler next to the couch with snacks and your favorite beverage!

You going to report this one to insurance?

Dang, that's a bummer. :angry:

<...> Also, the flexible cover over the hinge on the (new) mirror has a hole worn through it, ...
If you want, I can pop one such rubber sleeve and a MOKO slider in the mail and you'll have them next week at no cost.

Stef

Hey Foosh snr, sorry to hear about the tumble, I hope you are ok for Barber, RW and myself, along with Lane, Slider and a few others are going up Thursday and camping at 29 Dreams. We are the last campsite on the left, up by Tim's house, come on up and have a relaxing, and medicating brew with us.

I have a set of stock mirrors you can have if you need them, let me know and I will throw them in my bags?

Skippy

Damn it Woofshee... same side, same hip, same ankle... sorry about your get off. You woulda been fooked without the gear. I agree with what someone else said, replace the helmet. Something ain't right when the shield closure is weird.

I hope you can still make Barber's.

Sorry to hear about your accident. When I crashed I came away with the curious feeling that I was now a more experienced rider. That of course was after the pain and anger and time lost and money paid and claim against the school district, which I was awarded without contest, based on the video I happened to be recording at the time.

And speaking of which, I think this may be an occasion for my bi-annual re-posting of said crash. Unlike you, I didn't have sliders at the time. About a couple grand in damage, including a $500 Arai helmet.

I hope you get healed soon, and your bike back to new.

Jb

Thanks for the write-up. These things just re-inforce my resolve to wear ATGATT. Right now I'm at about 95% compliance with that.

Anyway, I'd be interested in reading the cat's write-up on this incident on the catforum.com board. Just to get his perspective.

Swingman Sends

[SIZE=18pt]Where's the picture of the cat?[/SIZE]Later, De

... :rolleyes:
Cat escaped. Mostly white, a bit of calico coloring. Didn't even come back to check on me. Resident of the house whose driveway I ended up at was actually right behind me, said he thought I was dead when it happened. He was like, "Dude, don't move! I'll get help!" I got up and told him my ankle hurts but I was fine. He helped me lift the bike and gave me a glass of water. Nice guy, and I appreciated his assistance. With the bike in the gutter (lower than the street), and only one foot to put weight on, it would probably still be there this morning.

Four words....
Gee Ess Fi Hunned! :p

Aren't you due for a new front tire?
This is my brother's ever-so-subtle way of reminding me of his track day high side a few years back, and the resultant multiple surgeries to repair the remains of his elbow and upper arm, and the years he spent recovering before he could ride, shoot pool, or play golf again. Basically he's saying, "Quitcher cryin'!" Next time I hit him I'll have to do a better job!" And yes, my new tire should arrive this morning.

A good advert for ABS; until you upgrade, practise, practise, practise!
I do practice!! I've had stops hard enough, practiced and otherwise, that had the rear dancing around. Like another response in the thread pointed out, this one had that extra bit of "shock" value, with the empty road suddenly having a moving obstacle apparently out of thin air. Very startling.

Were thaose R&G sliders? I just picked up a pair.
Yep. This one held up better. Last fall the bolt bent, folding the slider and giving me more stator cover damage. It was also a bit hard to remove!

Hobble down to the beach and soak that hoof in the Gulf. During soak period consume "cold beverage". Reapeat as needed. :rolleyes:
Now THAT sounds like a plan!

How did the JR Phoenix III gloves fare during this get-off? :unsure:
Gloves did well. Apparently I never put my hands down, as there are no scuffs in the palms, just the scrape on the hard plastic knuckle armor. These are the same gloves I was wearing in October when I crashed, and you can see that one of the marks (to the left in the picture) is on top of the old marks. There's a bit of fabric damage between my thumb and forefinger, but I think that's just wear. The gloves have 10K miles on them, and it's prolly time anyway. I love these gloves! Comfortable, cool, good fingertip feel.

DSC_0020.jpg

You going to report this one to insurance?
Not enough icky stuff. Probably gonna send the bag lid to Gary, and the jacket is the only gear I need to replace, so I won't even meet the deductible.

Damn it Woofshee... same side, same hip, same ankle... sorry about your get off. You woulda been fooked without the gear. I agree with what someone else said, replace the helmet. Something ain't right when the shield closure is weird.
I hope you can still make Barber's.
Visor works fine, once I got it open. I think the bottom edge of it got "inside" the opening, or it may have just flipped the lockdown button and I didn't realize it. There's not a mark anywhere on the actual helmet, just the visor!

DSC_0025.jpg

Anyway, I'd be interested in reading the cat's write-up on this incident on the catforum.com board. Just to get his perspective.
Probably something along the lines of "Just crossing the street, minding my own business, looking for . . . well, you know, when this THING nearly mowed me down. I threw a quick defense hex on it and it crashed. Cool. I ran before it could recover. Scared the piss out of me, though, so sorry if I marked someone's territory. Didn't mean it, no fighting needed!"

Went back to The Scene this morning and took a coupla pics of the road marks. Here's the skid from the front wheel, and the slider mark, with an occasional white mark from harder piece, maybe bar end, maybe highway peg. Bike ended up just in front of the driveway with the second trash can (today is trash day, BTW.)

DSC_0019.jpg

The skid is about 4 feet, and 30mph is 44 ft/sec, so it's a bit less than a tenth of a second. That's how long it takes to fall! I very vividly remember hearing the bike sliding while I was sliding and rolling and thinking, "Damn!! Not again! And that's a brand new side bag!!!!!!!"

wfooshee,

Damn man, sorry to hear about the "spat wif da cat"! Glad to hear there was no greater damage to you or your feejer. Recover quickly, get the scoot fixed soon, and meet me and Horatio6 when we roll through your neck of the woods next month.

Take care bro!

Rex

Crashing sucks. Did about the same thing on a R100RT several years ago. Tore a pair of jeans at the knee but the old BMW was undamaged. Something to be said for horizontal twins. Take care.

Dang man, sorry about the slip-n-slide.

However, this is starting to look like a very obvious case of karma imbalance. If I remember correctly from posted pictures, you just so happened to marry waaaaaaay above your own personal standing. This is all fine and dandy when one can pull this off, but one must remember that this creates a riff in the great cosmic-karma continuum. This riff is the equivalent of a deficit, or bill-to-be-paid, if you will. The dreaded cosmic-karma-chameleon (not the same one made famous by Boy George) comes calling to collect said bill and re-balance the forces of cosmic-karma.

In my case, it cost me a mere 29 bone-breaks. Still, a bargain.

So, IIRC from the pictures of you and your SO, two crashes sounds about right. Of course, you might want to make a donation to United Way just to be sure.

Went back to The Scene this morning and took a coupla pics of the road marks. Here's the skid from the front wheel, and the slider mark, with an occasional white mark from harder piece, maybe bar end, maybe highway peg. Bike ended up just in front of the driveway with the second trash can (today is trash day, BTW.)
DSC_0019.jpg

The skid is about 4 feet, and 30mph is 44 ft/sec, so it's a bit less than a tenth of a second. That's how long it takes to fall! I very vividly remember hearing the bike sliding while I was sliding and rolling and thinking, "Damn!! Not again! And that's a brand new side bag!!!!!!!"
Fooshman - The skid marks are diagonal to the street . Unless it has to do with the curve denoted by the double yellow (doubtful, as you would've been on or over the line), you were already turning right pretty hard to avoid the cat when you locked the tire. The tire didn't slide out, you went down on the left because you high-sided. I doubt you'd even remember but it's gut instinct survival (avoid bad stuff) and is what the marks say.

You mentioned practicing stops, but it would be really hard to make a sudden turn and then hit the really brakes hard. With that length skid, you probably would've been fine if going straight. Not a criticism, just an observation to help train for the next cat.

Checkswrecks

Hahahahaha!!! Excellent reply to all of our replies. I also really appreciate the pics of the gear. It makes me- and I'm sure a lot of us- think hard about our own gear and the areas we may feel are lacking (gear-wise.) I think my next purchase will be the frame sliders.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck healing-- and fixing the bike.

Swingman Sends