Headlight bulb replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonC

Reaction score
I've searched for detailed info on bulb replacement, but can't find just what I need.

I pulled off the connector to the H4 bulb on the left side of the FJR. There is no wire latch that I can see, but the bulb base is surrounded by a rubber boot or cover. I suppose I have to remove that cover. If so, how do I remove the rubber cover without tearing it? Will the wire latch appear after I remove the protective cover? Does the bulb have to be rotated to be removed? How easy is it to replace the boot on the new bulb?

Most posts that I've found say that dash panels A and B have to be removed to get to the bulb. I can reach the bulb, at least to remove the connector, without removing those panels. If the panels on the left side have to be removed, does the 'glove' compartment have to be removed?

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Wellllll.....I found a number of posts by using Google and typing: changing headlight bulbs site:fjrforum.com (Hint: click the linky and read.)

As for removing the dash panels, again using Google: remove dash panels site:fjrforum.com

On my Gen I, I can change the bulbs without removing the dash panels, but it is really difficult to get the retaining "clips" latched with my rather manly sized hands (2X riding gloves).

Thanks, MadMike2. I googled 'replace FJR 1300 headlight bulb' and found nothing useful. The handbook and service manual just say 'take it out and put the new one in.' They weren't helpful at all. Most were on putting in modulators or whether the Phillips or other bulbs were good or bad. Your Googled links gave me most of the same I had found that weren't on topic until I found a good one at the bottom of the page. Just what I needed!

I had copied and saved the 'removing dash panels' some time ago, but the instructions don't mention how many screws there are. When I tried to remove panel B on the left side, it didn't want to move even after all the visible screws and plastic fasteners were out. I didn't want to force the panel, so I would like to know if there is a screw on the inside that binds the panel B to the little storage compartment. I have had panels C and D off and on many times on my '05.

Thanks again,

Ron

Thanks, MadMike2. I googled 'replace FJR 1300 headlight bulb' and found nothing useful. The handbook and service manual just say 'take it out and put the new one in.' They weren't helpful at all. Most were on putting in modulators or whether the Phillips or other bulbs were good or bad. Your Googled links gave me most of the same I had found that weren't on topic until I found a good one at the bottom of the page. Just what I needed!
I had copied and saved the 'removing dash panels' some time ago, but the instructions don't mention how many screws there are. When I tried to remove panel B on the left side, it didn't want to move even after all the visible screws and plastic fasteners were out. I didn't want to force the panel, so I would like to know if there is a screw on the inside that binds the panel B to the little storage compartment. I have had panels C and D off and on many times on my '05.

Thanks again,

Ron
Don't be timid, boy. If all the fasteners are out, you need to bang it a little with your hand to loosen it from the rest of the plastic. It'll come.

I didn't see this until this morning probably to late to help however,I just did this on my 05 twice(long story) but you do not have to remove any panels to replace the left side bulb, unplug it,pull the rubber cover off and the metal clip is underneath that. Bulb comes out very easy and only goes back certain way with the tabs. Really easy 2 minute job if you don't have hugh hands. Sorry I didn't see this earlier. <_<

You dont have to remove any plastic at all to change the bulbs...really quite simple once you've done it once or twice. It can be all done by "feel" with a little patience. Put your bike on the center stand. Turn your handlebar all the way to the left or right to change the bulbs. First thing to do is stick your hand down the side of the fairing and feel for the 3-prong connector. Once you have than in hand, pull is straight out from the bulb. Next thing is to feel for the rubber boot "tangs" (2 ears 180 deg. from each other), grab hold of one, and pull the boot off. Next thing is to un-hook the metal retaining clip that holds the bulb tight against the housing. It is a spring clip hinged type clip. You will feel the clip...on top, there is a "loop" that you will push DOWNward, that will un-hook it from the bulb and allow it to swing towards the gas tank and away from the bulb. Then you simply pull the bulb out. Get your new bulb, careful not to touch the glass, and re-insert it into the headlight housing, making sure to orient it properly in its base. Make sure the retaining clip is swung fully "open" to allow the bulb to go in properly. Once you have verified the bulb is in fully, swing the retaining clip across the base of the bulb, and push down on the top loop to "lock" it onto the bulb. Once this is done, get your rubber boot and center it over the bulb base, then push on and run your fingers fully around the edges to seal it. Finally, take your connector and plug onto the base of the bulb. Done.

Hope this helps. Sorry I dont have pics to help ya out.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

What Southern said...and pics don't really help much because you won't be able to see a friggin thing once your hand is fumbling in there.

I have a Gen I, too, and it's tricky but not worth losing sleep over.

Now, the RH side of a Gen II is a right be-otch and even my dainty little hands (US-size Large, Madmike, fer Chrissakes... :rolleyes: ) can't operate in there at all.

As FJRMGM said, the way to do it on the RH side of a 2006+ is from below. Enjoy... ;)

Stef

Thank you all for the help. Now I feel comfortable to 'git 'er done.'

After many years of experience of using the "if it doesn't fit or come out, push or pull harder" method, and suffering the consequences, I'm afraid that I am a little timid about forcing something that seems stuck. So I am a little 'gun shy' the first time I do a task.

Thanks,

Ron

And another thing... The bulbs burn out pretty much based on time; if one is gone the other is sure to follow soon. If you are going to go through all the effort, might as well do both at the same time. Or, at least pick up a second bulb while you are at the store 'cause your gonna need it pretty soon.

I burned out one of my headlights on my way home from work so I went back out and bought a pair of bulbs. I was shocked to find the other headlight blew while I was on my way to the store!

And another thing... The bulbs burn out pretty much based on time; if one is gone the other is sure to follow soon. If you are going to go through all the effort, might as well do both at the same time. Or, at least pick up a second bulb while you are at the store 'cause your gonna need it pretty soon.
I burned out one of my headlights on my way home from work so I went back out and bought a pair of bulbs. I was shocked to find the other headlight blew while I was on my way to the store!
I have two bulbs on hand, but they are different brands. One is a Hella and one is a Sylvania. Would there be any problem with putting the two different manufacturers bulbs in?

By the way, my low beams both work but the high beam on the left side does not.

Ron

I have two bulbs on hand, but they are different brands. One is a Hella and one is a Sylvania. Would there be any problem with putting the two different manufacturers bulbs in?

Ron
+1 on what Ion said about them going together, so replace them together. It's actually not just a time deal, but that's another story.

As for mixing bulbs, you're the best judge. How about if you stick 'em both in, stand in front of the bike (running) and you tell us if there's enough diff to be a problem?

Bob

Ron
You can mix and match brands. One might be brighter than the other, but that might be a good thing to get the cagers to notice you during the day. You may find that one brand lasts longer than the other.

Thanks to you all, or all y'all if you are from the South, the task is completed. I changed both bulbs.

SouthernCruizer's explanation made it easy. It was just the information I was seeking.

I hope to see everyone at the July NAFO gathering in Golden, CO. This morning, I walked from my house to the hotel in which the rally will be held. It took almost 15 minutes!

Ron

Seems as though I remember the e-thug :bb: :haha: having a splendid time with his bulb change... Hold on....

Damn! the pics are gone :blink: Well anyway It showed not how ya do it anyway.

:jester:

Seems as though I remember the e-thug :bb: :haha: having a splendid time with his bulb change... Hold on....
Damn! the pics are gone :blink: Well anyway It showed not how ya do it anyway.

:jester:
IIRC, that thread began with a light bulb change in Carpenteria and ended having the entire front of the fairing disassembled. It WAS pretty funny....mostly because it was him and not me. It's a good thing he has a great sense of humor and irony....and likes to entertain of of his internet family. :eek:

You dont have to remove any plastic at all to change the bulbs...really quite simple once you've done it once or twice. It can be all done by "feel" with a little patience. Put your bike on the center stand. Turn your handlebar all the way to the left or right to change the bulbs. First thing to do is stick your hand down the side of the fairing and feel for the 3-prong connector. Once you have than in hand, pull is straight out from the bulb. Next thing is to feel for the rubber boot "tangs" (2 ears 180 deg. from each other), grab hold of one, and pull the boot off. Next thing is to un-hook the metal retaining clip that holds the bulb tight against the housing. It is a spring clip hinged type clip. You will feel the clip...on top, there is a "loop" that you will push DOWNward, that will un-hook it from the bulb and allow it to swing towards the gas tank and away from the bulb. Then you simply pull the bulb out. Get your new bulb, careful not to touch the glass, and re-insert it into the headlight housing, making sure to orient it properly in its base. Make sure the retaining clip is swung fully "open" to allow the bulb to go in properly. Once you have verified the bulb is in fully, swing the retaining clip across the base of the bulb, and push down on the top loop to "lock" it onto the bulb. Once this is done, get your rubber boot and center it over the bulb base, then push on and run your fingers fully around the edges to seal it. Finally, take your connector and plug onto the base of the bulb. Done.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
Not to be digging up an old post, but I searched this out and found it to work very well. Didnt have to remove any body parts at all.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
Not to be digging up an old post, but I searched this out and found it to work very well. Didnt have to remove any body parts at all.

I have a 06A

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
DING-DING-DING-DING! We have a winner!Thanks you SouthernCruizer! :yahoo:

I never replaced a light bulb in the Feej. I had no problem finding a plethora of data on it, but SC's post hit it on the head. I've seen horror posts of broken bulbs, pulling all the tupperware off to get the glass out, It'll happen to you, etc. SC's method was perfect!

It took longer to remove the four panels then replace the left bulb. I dove into the right bulb since everyone said replace it while in there. Yes it's a little more confined but very doable. I did get the right light bulb cocked in the receptacle and then it got hung up on the wire keeper, since it's awkward to deal with, but patience is a virtue (I never knew I had it).

The rubber boots pulled right off like a banana peel, went on just as easily. The wire keeper tang is easily viewable IMO and not hard to get too. As stated in other posts the left side is easiest to do first then the right is a breeze.

I had it already for panel reassembly within 10 minutes from initially removing the four dash panels.

BTW Larger hands may need more patience.

Thanks again SouthernCruizer. ;)

Your bike MAY pull to the left or right, depending on your bulb positioning.