#1 Warchild

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

... which is why I ain't been posting much lately, cuz I've been on the road. I have a goal of breaking 25,000 miles in the first year of K8 ownership. I have four months remaining, do you think I'll make that goal? cool.gif

These last 8 days, I've been riding around most of the Desert West.... Great Basin and Death Valley, in particular. Here's a shot at the edge of the Great Basin, near the California/Nevada border... pity the smoke from fires in northern California blotted out the clear blue sky:

Death Valley, not too far from Furnace Creek:

This is the "Devil's Cornfield" in the center of Death Valley, It was about 9am here, and 105 degrees F:

Well, I'm outta here tomorrow to head over to Colorado..... going to meet up with 300 of my closest friends there in a little town called Golden. Perhaps I'll see some of y'all..... cool.gif

- Warchild
FJRForum.com Benevolent Dictator
NEW URL!!! ==> http://www.FJRTech.net
2003 FJR1300 (N. America)
2013 FJR1300 (Gen III N. America)

#2 greg97224

greg97224

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

Looks like you will make it by the end of the month. Probably lots of long lonely straight roads out there, just right for a Busa.

#3 Warchild

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (greg97224 @ Jul 21 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like you will make it by the end of the month.

Actually.... it's more like by the end of the week. cool.gif

- Warchild

#4 SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (Warchild @ Jul 21 2008, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (greg97224 @ Jul 21 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like you will make it by the end of the month.

Actually.... it's more like by the end of the week. cool.gif

Looks like you might make it (by the end of the week), but that front tire is looking questionable..!

(Edit: This was my 600th post which was my goal before I headed off to NAFO. It's all about priorities, right? wink.gif )
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." Lewis Carroll
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 ngarider

ngarider

Ride More, Talk Less

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

What kind of miles are on that front tire?
I believe many Harley guys spend more time revving their engines than actually driving anywhere; I sometimes wonder why they bother to have wheels on their motorcycles.
- Dave Barry

#6 Warchild

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (ngarider @ Jul 21 2008, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of miles are on that front tire?

Truth be told, that front tire is the old Dunlop Qualifier that was on the bike during the Utah 1088. Recall the rear Qualifier didn't make it; on the back of the bike is a Conti Road Attack I had to put on in SLC in order to get home.

That front Qualifier had about 5500 miles on it when this photo was taken. While it looks (in the 3rd photo down) like it has no tread left, it actually does.... look at the Devil's Cornfield photo, and you'll still see tread grooves on the front Qualifier....

Regardless, both the rear Road Attack and the front Qualifier are off the bike now; I just mounted up a fresh set of Avon Storms yesterday for the run to NAFO tomorrow night.

- Warchild

#7 keithaba

keithaba

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

You are undeniably some sort of freak! tongue.gif

I rode my blackbird (with VFR bars and a corbin seat) for 400 miles Saturday, and I thought I was going to die.

I stated several times to myself, how the hell does Warchild do it?
2007 FJR (Farkled to the max)
2007 FZ1 (damn that things fast)

#8 Warchild

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (keithaba @ Jul 21 2008, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rode my blackbird (with VFR bars and a corbin seat) for 400 miles Saturday, and I thought I was going to die.

I stated several times to myself, how the hell does Warchild do it?
  1. Conditioning
  2. Isometrics while underway
  3. Dedication
  4. Motivation
  5. Ibuprofen

Last but certainly not least: an incredibly awesome Rick Mayer seat!!!

Which happened to be my first stop in this week-long Odyssey! It all started with a Ride-In appointment at the Rick Mayer Ranch just west of Anderson, CA on Friday, July 11th.

Here is Rick Mayer working on my stock seat pan, trimming away some excess foam:

Here is Rick cutting my basket-weave vinyl seat cover - all by hand - while the Busa sets waiting in the background:

And... the final result!!

- Warchild

#9 FJR@DTS

FJR@DTS

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

Wow, nice looking seat Warchild, the color and texture of the seat really blend in well with the color of the Busa!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

FJR@DTS
2007 FJR1300A

#10 mmonroe

mmonroe

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

I went for a 700mi ride on my 1993 ZX-11d Friday. Mostly backroads and whatnot. Got started around 9:30am and got home that night around 11:30pm. The bike is stock with the stock seat and whatnot. I was tired afterwards, however, I think the ZX-11 is as comfortable as the FJR.

Riding the back roads of North Carolina and surounding states, it takes a lot of hours to ride 500mi, 700mi or even a 1000mi. Heck, even with 80-90mph averages, it takes a lot of time.

I envy those who have the hours to put into riding. I will probably have to get fired, be laid off at work or retired to get enough hours.

biggrin.gif

Mark

#11 FJamR

FJamR

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

You are a nut, Death Valley in July! smile.gif I usually hit it in April.
I rode my bike to trailer week.

#12 03HiYoSilver

03HiYoSilver

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

GO....WC...Go!
You never cease to amaze me and what a nice looking setup you have, very impressive.

Have a Great Trip.

#13 Niehart

Niehart

Pie Smuggler

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hijack, Saturday, I meet the young man that bought your CBX. He was kind of surprised when I knew you & the bike. He's damn proud of that bike which is very cool.

I hate it when the voices in my head go silent ... I never know what those bastards are planning ...

#14 FZ/FJR Mike

FZ/FJR Mike

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

WC, I admire your abilities highly & will give the best compliment I know, you're a true motorcyclist to the core!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 Warchild

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (FZ/FJR Mike @ Jul 22 2008, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WC, I admire your abilities highly & will give the best compliment I know, you're a true motorcyclist to the core!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate the comments, gentlemen.

I find there are few pleasures in life that equal taking a big, fast sport-tourer across the vast American Desert West for thousands of miles...

- Warchild

#16 RenoJohn

RenoJohn

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (Warchild @ Jul 22 2008, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find there are few pleasures in life that equal taking a big, fast sport-tourer across the vast American Desert West for thousands of miles...
You certainly have figured it out way beyond what most people could ever imagine. I was surprised to see you in DV though. ...not just the heat but most stay away from the summer months because of tourists. That place is certainly magic anytime. Good on ya for taking a few pics. You must be getting older :-)

Fun doing ride-in's at Rick's place. Especially now that he's put that little extension on the shop and has all the race videos, internet access etc. You got is trademark stitching and the same material I use.

And really, at our ages, who else is going to want to take a picture of our ass? ....and really, think about it, ...is there any other dude you'd let take a picture of your ass? I think not, but OK when Rick does it.

Took this pic of a buddy of mine during one of my many ride-in's to rick (this one when he was doing it out of his garage, before the new shop):

#17 mmonroe

mmonroe

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hey Warchild,

Is that a slipon or a full header setup that you went with on the Busa? Any tuning and/or powercommander required for it?

How loud is it?

What were the various ones that you researched and what made you finally choose that one?

Many thanks,

Mark

#18 tstaff

tstaff

tstaff

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (mmonroe @ Jul 24 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Warchild,

Is that a slipon or a full header setup that you went with on the Busa? Any tuning and/or powercommander required for it?

How loud is it?

What were the various ones that you researched and what made you finally choose that one?

Many thanks,

Mark

Here

06 FJR 1300A

#19 mmonroe

mmonroe

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (tstaff @ Jul 24 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mmonroe @ Jul 24 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Warchild,

How loud is it?

Many thanks,

Mark

Here

I had seen that thread but it didnt answer most of my questions. Perhaps I should have asked my questions on that thread versus this one, however, this thread was "fresh".

Mark

#20 Warchild

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (mmonroe @ Jul 24 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Warchild,

How loud is it?

Many thanks,

Mark

That is a Yoshimura 4-2-1 R-77 Carbon Fiber exhaust system.

In a rare show of engineering prowess, the Yosh setup is so perfect out of the box, many reputable tuners acknowledge that this system does not substantially benefit from a PC-III the way most full systems do... the full systems adds about 6-8 horsepower, but a PC-III on top of that only adds a whopping 2 hp.

The canister is shipped with the noise baffle installed in the pipe. It is a deeper tone that stock (obviously), but is still amazingly quiet. If you remove the baffle, the tone is significantly deeper (it "growls" more), but it is still not obtrusive. As with most pipes, once the packing starts to wear away, you hear the pipe more.

I researched a bunch of systems.... but my goals were different from many: I just wanted to dump the massive weight and hideous looks of the stock bazooka mufflers. Wasn't all that concerned about increasing horsepower... with 173 hp at the rear wheel (bone stock), I am not exactly hurting to move the bike down the road. The whole stock exhaust systems weight 52 lbs... this entire Yosh 4-2-1 setup is 14lbs, total.

- Warchild