Diag mode menu navigation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have found this here before but can't seem to find it now. I was wondering if there is anyone who could point me in the right direction on how to navigate the menus in the diag mode (Numbers and codes ect...). My check engine yellow light came on my 07 (when I got into some elevation out here in Yellowstone.. I think I might of got some bad gas..unsure) and I was wanting to see what is going on. The bike still runs great and all the fluids are where they are suppose to be. The check engine light does not go back off when I shut the bike off and/or disconnect the battery. BTW, I do not show an error code on the display.

Any info would be appreciated,

WW

Update all,

Well I figured out the issue here. It wasn't bad gas. The error code that my bike had was that it was not receiving a signal from the 02 sensor.... DAH! I have had mine removed/unplugged for quite a while (after I installed my Techlusion tuner and fine tuned her). I have never had a error code/engine light come on before.. HOWEVER...It seems that when I had a major change in altitude (this happened during my trip to Yellowstone) my bikes barometric pressure sensor triggers the ECU to want a signal from the 02 sensor....

FYI, for those who has installed a Fuel tuner and have unplugged the 02 sensor. Don't know if this is an issue on Gen I's.

WW

A few Gen I's set an O2 code. A number of '03 Gen I's will set an O2 code even when the sensor is plugged in, the trigger seemed to be moisture. Some Gen I's will set an O2 code when a PCIII is used and the O2 sensor is disconnected. In all cases the 'cure' is to just reset the code in the ECU and get on with life. A very few are plagued with the error code and just live with the light, I believe one of Skoot's FJRs has this issue which got worse as the bike aged.

Just an observation with no facts to back it up -- it seems that an open O2 sensor does not set a code but when moisture gets into the sensor wires and alters voltages out of a range which the ECU expects it will set a code. The moisture could be wash, rain or even condensation as temps rapidly change, such as when I pull my cold FJR out of my garage into 70 degree air or climb Mt. Washington where it can be 80 degrees at the bottom and 6 miles later it is 20 degrees.

Reset & forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Mine 'errors' periodically. Mine seems to go off based on how much time I spend at high velociites/high rpm/WOT. At least that's as close as I can get to the root cause. Nothing to do with altitude.

Just for clarification for everyone else - it's the yellow light with a code 24 on my Gen I FJR. Actually both of my 04 FJRs have done it. (As have several other forum member's FJRs w/PCIII and O2 sensor removed) Simple but PITA reset procedure as outlined in the service manual. To reset, the O2 sensor need to be reconnected and warmed up - which could be a problem if you have an aftermarket header with no O2 sensor location. Then you will have to 'plug in' to another FJRs O2 sensor as another forum member had to do.

WW - all the playing you do and you don't have a service manual?

Yup. Mine 'errors' periodically. Mine seems to go off based on how much time I spend at high velociites/high rpm/WOT. At least that's as close as I can get to the root cause. Nothing to do with altitude.
Just for clarification for everyone else - it's the yellow light with a code 24 on my Gen I FJR. Actually both of my 04 FJRs have done it. (As have several other forum member's FJRs w/PCIII and O2 sensor removed) Simple but PITA reset procedure as outlined in the service manual. To reset, the O2 sensor need to be reconnected and warmed up - which could be a problem if you have an aftermarket header with no O2 sensor location. Then you will have to 'plug in' to another FJRs O2 sensor as another forum member had to do.

WW - all the playing you do and you don't have a service manual?

SkooterG,

Thanks for the clarification. Your right.. I do plenty of playing. I have an old service manual I got off flea bay. It is for the 2001 FJR1300 but I don't always know how up to date it is for the Gen II's. Except for not having the ABS supplement info, I think it might be g2g. BTW, your right. The 02 code is not a soft code reset that can be done via Diag menu62.. It has to be reset by re-connecting the 02. Your right, a PITA.

Thanks guys,

WW

WW