#461 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,231 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

...however since Yamaha came out with their recall switch this has become a "non issue" for 2nd Gen. owners.

Well, it has been quite a while now since Yamaha deployed their ignition switch recall. I, for one, was very skeptical that their fix was going to be adequate for all bikes, especially those where the owner had added any accessories that are run off of switched power. Having the key switched contacts operate a relay for handling the higher load of the entire bike (almost), as the "Brodie Relay" does, appeared to me like it was still a great idea.

But it does seem that the data (lack of any post recall failures) speaks for itself. If anyone has had an ignition switch meltdown (not just crusty contacts failure) on an "updated" Yamaha switch installed, please be sure to let the forum know about it.

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg

#462 CAJW

CAJW

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

oldgun

Thank you for the kind words, however since Yamaha came out with their recall switch this has become a "non issue" for 2nd Gen. owners. If you are a 1st Gen. owner that desires to update the ignition switch, I have given the information at the beginning of this thread to enable to build your own. I sold my last copy back in September and will not be making any more.

Take care.
Posted Image

Brodie

One more set of Kudos to Mr. Brodie. I purchased one of his switch harnesses awhile back, opened it up, ate the Tootsie Rolls (don't want them to go stale!) and put it on the shelf. This past weekend, while installing my Autocom and doing a TBS, I finally got around to installing the harness. Aside from the fact that I have so many looms and other crap running through the steering head area, I found the connector and made the install, which was a piece of cake! Thanks again for your persistence and craftsmanship which I'm confident will help keep my Gen I purring for years to come. :D

2104 Beta 520RS, 05' Gen I, 02' DRZ400SM,04' Beta
IBR #30248
I love Deer. (Dead, preferably barbequed or jerkyfied)
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

#463 beachy

beachy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

oldgun

Thank you for the kind words, however since Yamaha came out with their recall switch this has become a "non issue" for 2nd Gen. owners. If you are a 1st Gen. owner that desires to update the ignition switch, I have given the information at the beginning of this thread to enable to build your own. I sold my last copy back in September and will not be making any more.

Take care.
Posted Image

Brodie

thanks Brodie for your easy to follow drawing. After 2 ignition switch meltdowns it was time to tackle the real problem your post and drawing was just what the Dr. ordered Thank You
Posted Image