Garmin Zumo 660 GPS rumored to come out next week!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Link to Zumo Forums

Well I am glad I waited and did not jump on the older Zumo 550. This is a slimmer GPS and it has a touch screen and that is about all I think anyone knows at this point. Should be interesting to learn more when CES starts on Jan 8th.

So the new Zumo looks more like a Nuvi . . . too bad. But I guess we'll see what features it has when the 'push the button', so to speak and release the details.

Edit: Just spoke to my friend, who distributes Garmin in Canada - he has yet to hear about it officially and in any case I don't need my bike unit before the middle-to-end of March or April (have a Nuvi 780 in the car), so I've ordered a Zumo 660 for when they come in.

It'll be thicker than a regular Nuvi (the Nuvi 550 is also thicker, because it is waterproof) and has a widescreen display and so it is physically larger.

Some features he expects:

1. powered mount, supplied with both car and bike mounts like the present Zumo 550

2. every software feature available in the present Nuvi units except voice control - including lane assist and building outlines

3. removable battery and long (8 hour) battery life

4. unfortunately, he expects it to have the TI Bluetooth chipset - which means that the old Zumo's Bluetooth is likely to be better than the new one's.

5. watch for prices on Zumo 550 to drop - the 450 was discontinued a month ago.

6. he expects this model will accept all of their maps including topo and marine - it has an SD slot

7. faster processor

One benefit to the new Zumo is that it will fit nicely in your pocket where the Zumo 550 was a pig - thick and not a rectangle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm glad I decided to stick with my old Magellan Meridian UPS. Had it for years. First bought it for geocaching with the kids. It's basic, but will do for now. I've spent too much $$$ on other farkles that I'm going to have to wait for a while on a new GPS. But this one sounds like it could be interesting...

5. watch for prices on Zumo 550 to drop - the 450 was discontinued a month ago.

New price will be a factor for me. Does your friend, Bramfrank, have any thoughts as to how long 550 support will be offered?

All in all, if the new model is geared toward motorcycling as is the 550, I'll be happy.

It will be interesting seeing where Zumo will come in on price. The big question for me is are they going to start with their top of the line Zumo or start with their entry level. I want their top of the line model and I want it the first week it is released. As long as I have it on before April I should be fine since that is when the beginning of the season will start for me.

Support for the Zumo 550 and 450 will continue for a number of years - they still support the V and even the old SP Color and the SP3 which have been long gone. You can still buy NOH SP3s, so I wouldn't sweat the support or supply issues with regard to the Zumo 550.

As to versions, I know nothing beyond the fact that the Zumo 660 is coming . . . if they stick to the Nuvi naming conventions it will have a traffic receiver - hopefully it'll support MSN Direct since I have 2 live receivers. Then again, the bike cable won't likely have the traffic receiver since they have traditionally supplied that built into the power plug and bikes are intended to be hard wired to the electical system.

It is all conjecture unless you are a beta tester (and I am not) or in product planning or software engineering. Time will reveal all.

A bit more data:

2642898160048697046S425x425Q85.jpg

2939267710048697046S425x425Q85.jpg

I just wonder why they don't consider the xm weather service important on a motorcycle GPS. It sure is nice in my truck. The XM reciever works with the 550 but doesn't support the mapping weather functions. I'll stick with the 376c untill they get a clue at garmin. Lack of weather is the reason I went with a marine unit over a motorcycle specific one to begin with.

Just my nickel's worth.

David

I strongly suspect they'll support MSN Direct's service, which does have forecasts, but isn't available outside of major markets.

Thursday morning is right around the corner! We will be finding out shortly. I hope I will be able to place an order for it on Thursday and have it on the bike right away.

Humm,My Zumo 550 has a touch screen.
Same here, I thought that post was odd.....maybe he should try touching the screen.

Just judging from the pics posted earlier, it looks like there are no buttons on the 660. BIG MISTAKE in my opinion. That touch screen gets pretty grubby after a while. Buttons allow many functions that help save the screen.

*********************************************Just judging from the pics posted earlier, it looks like there are no buttons on the 660. BIG MISTAKE in my opinion. That touch screen gets pretty grubby after a while. Buttons allow many functions that help save the screen.
Gunny!

Thursday morning is right around the corner! We will be finding out shortly. I hope I will be able to place an order for it on Thursday and have it on the bike right away.
As mentioned above, not likely.

I don't get it. Why in such a big rush to go spend mucho $$$ on an unknown unit that is lacking significant features (IMHO)?

I just checked the Garmin website and it is on there today. $799. Available 1st quarter 2009. Maybe I missed something, but i didn't see anything about XM radio???? That seems odd.