#601 JamesK

JamesK

Got to ride

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

No indication of an issue with S6 spyder.

New ignition switch is installed & no sign of the problem.
My dealer was sending the bad switch back to Yamaha, kinda doubt that we will hear anything further from them on what the actual failure was.

Was that switch that was just replaced definitely of the new design (ie with the extra wire and the yellow tape around the wire bundle)? Or did the dealership screw up last time and just install another old style switch?

It would not surprise me if the new switches were also prone to failure. All Yamaha did was to double the contact area.
Not an adequate solution, IMO. A Brodie relay would be far more effective in removing the root cause of the failures.

This is why I mentioned in this thread way back that IMHO the Brodie By-pass Relay is the ultimate and reasonably priced solution, which will eliminate any chance of IS failure due to electrical overload with either the new or the old style Ignition Switch. I have the BBR installed as well as the recalled IS so the only thing in this area I need to worry about is occasional cleaning/lubing of the key chamber.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

nafo01a.gif sfo09.gif eom09.gif groundspider.jpgTBAAAD500Logo-Sig3.jpg deerstrike1.gif 200K%2007CLUB.jpg
Member, FJR Assistance Directory

#602 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Well, yeah... that and you still have to keep an eye out for those barking spiders

-Fred W                 nerd.gif

#603 JamesK

JamesK

Got to ride

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

Well, yeah... that and you still have to keep an eye out for those barking spiders

Nah, I didn't wait around for Yamaha to acknowledge the problem (fat chance from the recent comments I've seen posted) and fix it. When the S4 bit me I went ahead and soldered all the pins to the their spiders and added a separate ground wire to each (except S2 & S5), then shrink wrapped it, wrapped the whole thing with electrical tape and used zip-ties to relieve any stress on the new joints/connections - one less problem I'll ever have to worry about on this bike.
My spider bite occurred before Brodie and RoadRunner came up with their plug-n-play harnesses...but I'm happy with my workaround none the less.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

nafo01a.gif sfo09.gif eom09.gif groundspider.jpgTBAAAD500Logo-Sig3.jpg deerstrike1.gif 200K%2007CLUB.jpg
Member, FJR Assistance Directory

#604 Brodie

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

My dad told me about the Barking Spiders all the time, usually after he ate a lot of beans.

I made sure my kids knew about them too - every chance I got. Posted Image

Posted Image
Brodie

vader.gif'06 FJR AE #2 - 77k, '06 FJR AE #1 88744 miles, KILLED WAY TOO YOUNG ! '90 Venture Royale - 149k, '82 Ascot Thumper - 128k
I Be Darksiding --- Teaching Faith --- Grounding Harness, and Ignition Relay Harness by Ersatz Electric --- Patriot Guard Rider
One good solid hope is worth a cartload of certainties. - Tom Baker - Dr. Who

#605 Not a Biker

Not a Biker

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

I was having all kinds of problems with my Ingition Switch not turning on with out wiggeling it come to find out The KEY had a small Bend in it this was causing the switch not to turn riding at night i never thought to Check for a bent Key it was a Big Problem with a simple Fix :dribble: :rolleyes:

#606 Brodie

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hi Not a Biker

Welcome to the FJRForum.

A month or so ago one of our members asked how to remove the remnants of a broken key out of the ignition switch. Sounds to me that you dodged the bullet on this one. Hopefully you retired that bent key for good. It would be good practice to take the 2nd OEM key that came with the bike, make several copies from it and put it away in a safe place. Always run a copy - a good copy, and keep the original safe and pristine.

Since you have a 2007 - second generation FJR, make sure you get all the recalls done to it. Winter time is the time to have them done so your riding season will not be impacted. Of special importance concerning this thread (discussion), there is a recall concerning the ignition switch for the '06 through early '09 bikes. Yamaha has added extra pathways and an extra set of contacts within the electrical portion of the switch to better handle the electrical load. The ignition switch it replaced had electrical resistance damage issues that left owners stranded on the side of the road, miles from home with a dead bike. Check with your local Yamaha dealer service department to make sure this - and all the rest of the recalls have been performed.

You have a fine machine, a design that does a lot of things very well. With a bit of preventive maintenance, and some well targeted farkles, it should serve you well.

Enjoy !
Posted Image

Brodie

vader.gif'06 FJR AE #2 - 77k, '06 FJR AE #1 88744 miles, KILLED WAY TOO YOUNG ! '90 Venture Royale - 149k, '82 Ascot Thumper - 128k
I Be Darksiding --- Teaching Faith --- Grounding Harness, and Ignition Relay Harness by Ersatz Electric --- Patriot Guard Rider
One good solid hope is worth a cartload of certainties. - Tom Baker - Dr. Who