Using iPhone with Autocom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Autocom have many phone specific leads, but not one for the iPhone. There is a bluetooth receiver from Autocom that should pair with the iPhone.

I have both the iPhone and the bluetooth receiver, but haven't tried using them together yet. (Not interested in taking phone calls when riding, and I gets my music through XM).

I use the Iphone (piece of crap) with the Autocom but it goes thru my Zumo.
R
I'd really appreciate the parts list (Autocom and/or other) and information on how you have the Autocom and Zumo connected. I've tried to use the Autocom #1299 cable, but I can't get a reliable hookup, even though I've tried 2 different cables. The local Autocom dealer has given up. I'm considering Autocom's Bluetooth dongle, but I'm getting tired of throwing money at Autocom...

So that this isn't a complete thread-jack, :rolleyes: I use an iPhone Bluetooth-ed to the Garmin and have had zero problems with that part of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really appreciate the parts list (Autocom and/or other) and information on how you have the Autocom and Zumo connected. I've tried to use the Autocom #1299 cable, but I can't get a reliable hookup, even though I've tried 2 different cables. The local Autocom dealer has given up. I'm considering Autocom's Bluetooth dongle, but I'm getting tired of throwing money at Autocom...
Lewis, here are some hookup diagrams direct from Autocom. They are recommending Autocom cable #1307 for the music, and their blutooth dongle for the phone, but you could use the phone through the Zumo's bluetooth which would then give you caller info on the Zumo screen etc.

I do have the Autocom bluetooth dongle, and agree it is spendy, but it worked great with my previous TomTom Rider and RAZR phone setup. I did pair it with my iPhone today, and it seemed to work great for phone use although I don't see me using it too often.

I use an iPhone connected to Zumo via Bluetooth, no issues, works perfectly - great audio, caller ID on Zumo screen, etc. Awesome.

I have the Zumo hardwired to Autocomm (no bluetooth dongle). Works perfectly, great audio from MP3s on the Zumo itself, awesome audio for phone calls through the Zumo from the iPhone (people can never tell I'm on a bike, and I can hear them great too). I can't tell you what cable it is using as Keith at Tulsa Truck center hooked me up with all the right stuff when I told him what I wanted to do. Awesome customer service, everything works great.

(I also have a stereo audio cable running to my glovebox(?) and was putting the iPhone in there to get music without going through bluetooth, but it was a hassle, so I just loaded the Zumo with MP3s instead).

-Brett

Based on the responses so far, I think I'm going to step up and go with Autocom's Bluetooth route. The way it looks, I can run use the Bluetooth for the phone and run a separate lead from the GPS for music. Keep the comments coming, thouhg. I'm not committed yet... :unsure:

By GPS, do you mean Zumo? If you are going to run a wire between the Zumo and the Autocomm, then DON'T spend the money on the bluetooth dongle from AutoComm as it will be completely redundant. Get the right cable and you will be happy.

It's actually a Garmin 2820. Autocom used to have a 2820 specific cable; I tried two of them, but couldn't get any receive audio through either of them. Then the tech from Autocom America told the local Autocom dealer to use the 1299, the cable for the Zumo. I tried two of them; the first one has no receive audio and the second one wouldn't work in either direction. I had been using the first one for transmit audio and a standard audio cable for receive audio and music. I asked the local dealer if I could have that one back, but they can't find it. Now, the Autocom America site has NO mention of the 2820 cable and has a drawing that uses the Bluetooth for the phone and a separate audio lead for music. The Autocom UK site is pushing their existing models out the door so they can introduce their new models, but while their revamping their page, most of the technical pages merely say "coming soon!"

My 2820 works fine when I test it with the included visor mic and external speaker. The local dealer tells me that Top Gear is no longer the importer for Autocom. I wondering if I haven't been getting some defective returns that somehow made it to the stock shelf instead of the waste basket... I'll admit, frustration is beginning to set in... That's why I was looking for a specific component/parts list that ACTUALLY works, so I've got some kind of starting point, at least... With what Autocom thinks their cables are worth, I really wish that they WORKED!

This thread intrigues me. I use my phone for GPS, phone, and music. Right now it's hardwired but I'd love to use it wireless with the bluetooth dongle. Does the autocom dongle receive in stereo? The autocom website is unclear what bluetooth format part 1276 will support.

I sent topgear an email and am waiting for a response.

worldbound4now