#1 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

I was doing some maintenance to my FJR. When I changed my sparkplugs the #2 spark plug will not start in the threads. Can I use a file and sharpen the threads on the sparkplug so it will engage the threads in the cylinder head? My impact wrench sure was helpful to get the other three sparkplugs installed.

"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#2 NSrider

NSrider

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (ionbeam @ Apr 1 2009, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was doing some maintenance to my FJR. When I changed my sparkplugs the #2 spark plug will not start in the threads. Can I use a file and sharpen the threads on the sparkplug so it will engage the threads in the cylinder head? My impact wrench sure was helpful to get the other three sparkplugs installed.

Use a belt sander, it will be a lot quicker than using a file and it will get you back on the road a lot faster.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageYou Live More In 5 Min.On a Motorcycle Than Most People Do in a Life time.

#3 airboss

airboss

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:18 AM

Couple of whacks with a really big hammer will get that pesky plug seated......................nooo probelm.
Don't Know Where I'm Going........But this is Where I've Been
Normal People.....................Scare me
Anyone who doesn't know what soap taste like never washed a dog.

#4 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,958 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:03 AM

Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.

#5 radman

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend

• Departed But Not Forgotten
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

Posted ImageShrug Atlas, Shrug

#6 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,540 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

Just thinking, six months from now some noob is going to 'do a search' and get this great advice about installing spark plugs.

So, he needs to know that when he starts filing threads off of the spark plugs he must do all four equally or he won't be able to get the throttle bodies synchronized, and get all of the threads completely off before welding.

'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#7 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,486 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:24 AM

Here's what I use..

Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#8 kaitsdad

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

Alan, check to make certain that you don't have a left-handed thread.

If you do, change hands when installing. It should work.

11,031. Hugs and Kisses!
"I don't like that stuff. It makes my head all wobbly."

dropfinal.gifdropfinal.gifdropfinal.gif367423437_DNNnw-X3.gifwfo05.gifwfo-6.gifnafo01b.gifwfo08.gifwfo09.gif1228986938_qByJd-O.gif

#9 mattster31

mattster31

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (kaitsdad @ Apr 1 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alan, check to make certain that you don't have a left-handed thread.

I thought they only had left hand threads below the equator??? or is it just for left handed people???
It puts the lotion in the basket.............or it gets the hose.
IBA # 39552
Darksider #30

Uppercan400 8hr Moto Rally

#10 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

It goes to eleven......

My LD Blog, IBA #332

2014ES "Deep Thought", 2005 ABS "Heart of Gold", 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
wfo04.gif through wfo09.gifBMR.jpg150K%2005CLUB.jpg
Seat Review here (click on About Me) or here. Gen 1 LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#11 Slick

Slick

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

We are supposed to change them?
I like them the way that they are.

#12 SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Geezer @ Apr 1 2009, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just thinking, six months from now some noob is going to 'do a search' and get this great advice about installing spark plugs.

So, he needs to know that when he starts filing threads off of the spark plugs he must do all four equally or he won't be able to get the throttle bodies synchronized, and get all of the threads completely off before welding.

And don't forget to make sure that when you start filing the new plug threads, do so over the motor with the old plugs removed. The metal filings are good for the motor, but will seriously scratch the paint.
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." Lewis Carroll
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 v65

v65

ouch

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Sure you got the plug in the right hole? They're numbered: the plug with the 6 on it goes in cylinder 1, number 17 in cylinder 3, and so on.
"We have done two ignition switch recalls, both of you wanted to do it yourself. The other guy also did a friend of his. You FJR owners sure are a hardcore bunch."
v65's homepage

#14 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Mine are numbered (left to right) 0001; 0010; 0011; 0100.
"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#15 08FJR4ME

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Before you go fil'in any plugs i mite want to try another one first. Sounds more like you might have something gumming up the threads on the cylinder head. I had an old ford witch was allways a bitch to get that last plug in. Took a while to get it lined up just rite.

Good luck.
2008 FJR1300A, 2005-Honda XR650L-2001 Honda Rubicon 4X4 WynPro Custom MC Products Posted Image, Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Bananas!

Bananas!

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Ionbeam,
If the threads in the head have been cross threaded, the threads are going to need cleaning up. If you use a conventional tap you run the risk of cutting a whole new set of threads outside of the originals. I had this same problem with a aluminum head small block Ford. I found a tool made by "KD" called a "Back-Tap" that handled the problem nicely. The way that it works is that the business end of the tool is contractable. In this state the tool is able to slip into the sparkplug hole without engaging the threads. Once the tool is past the threads and is in the combustion chamber a thumb screw is turned at the top of the tool to expand the diameter of the tap that is in the combustion chamber. Chances are that the threads at the bottom of the hole are clean and intact. At this point you simply thread the tool up and out of the hole. The tool chases the original threads up to the top and you are done. To keep metal bits from falling into the cylinder, coat the tap threads with Ivory hand soap (the bar of soap kind). The debris gets trapped in the soap. Hope this helps. Here's a link showing the tool. http://www2.shopping...-Re-Thread-Tool

Bananas!

#17 Patriot

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Good Gawd

IB, you haven't purchased your metric spark plug wrench yet; the length of the handle must be in mm
Mike in Nawlins' ..... 2004.5 FJR 1300 Silver Bullet "Isabella" in Nawlins' ..... Darksider #53
IBA# 42430 . my pics - FLICKR CLICKY HERE and New Orleans Ride Captain; Patriot Guard Riders; www.patriotguard.org
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (Bananas! @ May 5 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ionbeam,
Hope this helps. Here's a link showing the tool. http://www2.shopping...-Re-Thread-Tool

Thank you for your thoughtful and technically correct answer! Please keep up this kind of very helpful technical assistance!!!

I'm now embarrassed to confess that the original message, along with several others were launched on the same morning as part of a series of April 1st hoax messages blush.gif Spare my spark plugs the air impact wrench!!!

#19 capttwb

capttwb

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

Reminds me of the time I bought my first impact wrench, I had a 1971 450 Honda back then, gawd, I had parts everywhere!!! lol I learned a lot about the engine though... smile.gif
Happy trails !