Noisy Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have a shop do the valve adjustment and replacement of cam chain and tensioner and with 80k miles, it's probably a real good idea.
80K??? Yep...I'd R&R the chain & tensioner, since you're hearing the rattle. No argument here.
A timely thread, this. My '03 @110km/68Kmi. went into the shop last week for a valve adjustment and when I went back to pick it up yesterday they had discovered a rattling-chain noise and gave me the bad news that I need a new camchain plus tensioner and guides. Not great news - particularly as the tech hadn't heard the noise before he completed the valve adjust...so it's back into it all over again which will set me back another grand for a total of ~$1600.

If nothing else I've learned that Communication with the dealer is #1. In Sept. we had discussed the "noise" and I said I would leave further investigation until Spring as the bike was going into storage over the winter. When I took it in last week I assumed that the dealer had made note of the noise and passed the info on to the tech - who had no reason to start up the bike before he started the valve adjust. The tech was unaware and I should have put it on the work order. Hindsight, eh?

I've been reading here as I was curious to see if this had occurred to others at similar mileage and I see it has. So am I to consider the replacement "normal" at this mileage?

Kasey

I'd have a shop do the valve adjustment and replacement of cam chain and tensioner and with 80k miles, it's probably a real good idea.
80K??? Yep...I'd R&R the chain & tensioner, since you're hearing the rattle. No argument here.
A timely thread, this. My '03 @110km/68Kmi. went into the shop last week for a valve adjustment and when I went back to pick it up yesterday they had discovered a rattling-chain noise and gave me the bad news that I need a new camchain plus tensioner and guides. Not great news - particularly as the tech hadn't heard the noise before he completed the valve adjust...so it's back into it all over again which will set me back another grand for a total of ~$1600.

If nothing else I've learned that Communication with the dealer is #1. In Sept. we had discussed the "noise" and I said I would leave further investigation until Spring as the bike was going into storage over the winter. When I took it in last week I assumed that the dealer had made note of the noise and passed the info on to the tech - who had no reason to start up the bike before he started the valve adjust. The tech was unaware and I should have put it on the work order. Hindsight, eh?

I've been reading here as I was curious to see if this had occurred to others at similar mileage and I see it has. So am I to consider the replacement "normal" at this mileage?

Kasey
I'd say that replacement of the CCT & chain is not only "normal", but prudent at your mileage. As for the guides (I assume he/they mean the "slippers") if I were you, I'd personally inspect them myself and compare to a new set to determine the need. My slippers show zero wear on them, as did Ionbeam's during his post-demolition inspection. But for the $90 or so they'll add to the cost, it's probably just good insurance and peace-of-mind. Plus, if the dealership screws-the-pooch on the job, they can't blame you for NOT replacing the chain slippers.

My $.02