Bustanut joker

STFU

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Mizz Bustanut @ Apr 17 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't you two get along. My goodness . . . . . . . . . go stand it the corner. NOW!!

angrysmiley.gif

Hey! He started it.. blum.gif dang dork anyways bleh.gif

jester.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Los Robustos M/C member #18 Darksider #28

#22 RadioHowie

RadioHowie

Don't miss Beemerdons anymore. :)

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Mizz Bustanut @ Apr 17 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't you two get along. My goodness . . . . . . . . . go stand it the corner. NOW!!

angrysmiley.gif

Yessssss ma'am. unsure.gif
"Screw you guys....I'm going home riding!" Darksider #15
The whole chicken strips thing is BS. - HaulinAshe 7/29/2010
Man, there's a lot of info here if I just shut my pie hole and read. -- madmatt 8/5/2010

#23 Kasey

Kasey

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Patriot @ Apr 17 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have a shop do the valve adjustment and replacement of cam chain and tensioner and with 80k miles, it's probably a real good idea.

80K??? Yep...I'd R&R the chain & tensioner, since you're hearing the rattle. No argument here.

A timely thread, this. My '03 @110km/68Kmi. went into the shop last week for a valve adjustment and when I went back to pick it up yesterday they had discovered a rattling-chain noise and gave me the bad news that I need a new camchain plus tensioner and guides. Not great news - particularly as the tech hadn't heard the noise before he completed the valve adjust...so it's back into it all over again which will set me back another grand for a total of ~$1600.

If nothing else I've learned that Communication with the dealer is #1. In Sept. we had discussed the "noise" and I said I would leave further investigation until Spring as the bike was going into storage over the winter. When I took it in last week I assumed that the dealer had made note of the noise and passed the info on to the tech - who had no reason to start up the bike before he started the valve adjust. The tech was unaware and I should have put it on the work order. Hindsight, eh?

I've been reading here as I was curious to see if this had occurred to others at similar mileage and I see it has. So am I to consider the replacement "normal" at this mileage?

Kasey
WFO 3, 5, 6 CFR '09 WCR '10

#24 RadioHowie

RadioHowie

Don't miss Beemerdons anymore. :)

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Kasey @ May 2 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Patriot @ Apr 17 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have a shop do the valve adjustment and replacement of cam chain and tensioner and with 80k miles, it's probably a real good idea.

80K??? Yep...I'd R&R the chain & tensioner, since you're hearing the rattle. No argument here.

A timely thread, this. My '03 @110km/68Kmi. went into the shop last week for a valve adjustment and when I went back to pick it up yesterday they had discovered a rattling-chain noise and gave me the bad news that I need a new camchain plus tensioner and guides. Not great news - particularly as the tech hadn't heard the noise before he completed the valve adjust...so it's back into it all over again which will set me back another grand for a total of ~$1600.

If nothing else I've learned that Communication with the dealer is #1. In Sept. we had discussed the "noise" and I said I would leave further investigation until Spring as the bike was going into storage over the winter. When I took it in last week I assumed that the dealer had made note of the noise and passed the info on to the tech - who had no reason to start up the bike before he started the valve adjust. The tech was unaware and I should have put it on the work order. Hindsight, eh?

I've been reading here as I was curious to see if this had occurred to others at similar mileage and I see it has. So am I to consider the replacement "normal" at this mileage?

Kasey

I'd say that replacement of the CCT & chain is not only "normal", but prudent at your mileage. As for the guides (I assume he/they mean the "slippers") if I were you, I'd personally inspect them myself and compare to a new set to determine the need. My slippers show zero wear on them, as did Ionbeam's during his post-demolition inspection. But for the $90 or so they'll add to the cost, it's probably just good insurance and peace-of-mind. Plus, if the dealership screws-the-pooch on the job, they can't blame you for NOT replacing the chain slippers.

My $.02

"Screw you guys....I'm going home riding!" Darksider #15
The whole chicken strips thing is BS. - HaulinAshe 7/29/2010
Man, there's a lot of info here if I just shut my pie hole and read. -- madmatt 8/5/2010